Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Good to see a fast car legally going down the track and sticking to the proper safety rules and regulations.
Thanks travman, We think it is important not only to our driver but the guy in the other lane and to the spectators to do what is required to keep everyone involved safe.

We were contacted last month by a forum member about doing a similar update to his car. He was concerned about his safety and being able to make more than two passes a night before getting the boot. He has decided to ship us his car and we will start his update in late August.

9sec9 as we discussed last night Norm and I are having fun with this project. Anyone can assemble a car, but it's all in the details to design and build one that is safe, that works, and is easy to maintain.

Well it's almost 8 and I'm off to meet with Bill Simpson to do some helmet testing. I call you in a few. Indy

P.S. Hey Tom, Bill personally built your window net a few minutes ago .

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jul 28, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:13 AM

not bad for no serious mods
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Thanks travman, We think it is important not only to our driver but the guy in the other lane and to the spectators to do what is required to keep everyone involved safe.
Indeed....

I watched a 9 sec drag camaro roll at 130+ at a test n' tune day, not even competition.....his car came up in pieces on 3 different trucks and the cage section was still intact, driver was fine thanks to he had every piece of safety equipment needed to legally run those times..

It was a real eye opener to realize anything can happen even when you think your god behind a steering wheel and are in control. I am a firm believer in safety equipment for the reasons you said and its hard to respect those that think they are above the rules.

Keep up the good work
Old Aug 1, 2009, 06:06 AM
Former Sponsor

9sec9's chassis update is just about done. We are finishing up the detail work so he can pick it up next week and get back to the track ASAP.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Aug 1, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
tlcoll1, Here is our best run from Sunday, 12.064@111.18. 9sec9's tune and the Quarter Master clutch made the biggest difference. With only six passes on this clutch, I'm just starting to figure out what it wants.

tlcoll1, I just found the 12.015@112.34 run with the stock clutch. As you can see between both runs the clutch makes a huge difference. With the Quarter Master you can get greedy with the shifts and stay in boost. With the stock clutch you run the risk of clipping gears when you get too aggressive. Hope that helps. Indy

Last edited by Indy Evo; Aug 1, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9sec9 - Very nice. Thanks for the update.

With the slow datalogging, it's hard to tell just exactly how much quicker the shifts are, but there's no question that they are faster. It also looks like Indy is doing a different launch on the new clutch.

Tom
Old Aug 2, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

so indy what rpm do you usually shift at? you said something a while ago about shifting 700 rpm too late or something just curious when you shift
Old Aug 2, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indy has unreal shifting skills....my shifts are ~0.5 sec vs. his 0.1 lol....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Wow great times, shows what a good driver and a mostly stock evo is capable of..
Old Aug 2, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

i just started going to the track so im needing some good advice from indy lol. ran damn 13.5 at 101 the other day the stock clutch didn't want to grab in 1st gear and it was like 85 percent humidity. also first time running (on the track). im getting the new clutch installed aug 14-ish (ACT HD 6 puck TTP Spec) with the streetlite flywheel and tuned by TTP the same day. hoping to make upwards of 385whp 385 wtq on their mustang dyno on 93 octane.

ive got basically every bolt with stock ix turbo. (264 cams, ams fmic, injen intake with u/licp, greddy titanium cb, dc sports downpipe with cat delete, ttp o2 housing, fuel pump, head studs trying to tune for 26-28 psi on 93) hoping to break mid 11's.

i set my "two step" to 5300 rpm and had my ignition timing set low (load columns 120-160 at 7* at 5000-5500 rpm) to build about 8.5-10.5 psi at a stop. didnt bog or anything, the clutch didnt want to grab..didnt even chirp the tires (running 255/40/17 goodyear f1 gsd3 on stock bbs SE wheels)

what do you have for advice for launching and rpm shifting indy?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

I just want to say congrats again guys. I am just so impressed with all of this. Ha ha I wish I could spend some time with you 9sec9 to learn all that I can. I love to learn. That is why I like this thread. I know the 11 second pass is coming. Ha ha then I could spend some time with Indy and figure out how he shifts so damn fast!!

But with your tune though 9sec9 you were saying that you adjust the timing in low load high rpms. Do you mean that since you shift at 7500 and say load hits 240 there. Do you go to lower load in the 7500 column and adjust that? Or do you adjust it for where your rpm and load hits after the shift. Say it goes down to 5700 and 260 load. Do you make that the same timing to where that at 5700 and 260 you hit the same timing. Sorry for the silly question just trying to clarify.

Excited to hear how the tires do. I love the car and how well its doing.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread is going on and on forever..... it would be soo much easier to simply dump in some 110 crank up the boost and call it a day.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

^ patience, grasshopper, patience ...

IMO, Indy's methodical approach ends up netting not just more data, but more _useful_ data.

l8r)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm afraid the methodical approach will yield a bleeding edge tune and inconsistant results where as race gas and tbe provides 11s to almost everyone.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
so indy what rpm do you usually shift at? you said something a while ago about shifting 700 rpm too late or something just curious when you shift
1-2 shift 7200, 2-3/3-4 7400 RPM

Originally Posted by cij911
Indy has unreal shifting skills....my shifts are ~0.5 sec vs. his 0.1 lol....
Originally Posted by 2.0Ldoom
Wow great times, shows what a good driver and a mostly stock evo is capable of..
Thanks, it's a work in progress

mitsuevo805 shoot me a PM and we will see if we can help you out.

Originally Posted by BerserkerX
I just want to say congrats again guys. I am just so impressed with all of this. Ha ha I wish I could spend some time with you 9sec9 to learn all that I can. I love to learn. That is why I like this thread. I know the 11 second pass is coming. Ha ha then I could spend some time with Indy and figure out how he shifts so damn fast!!

But with your tune though 9sec9 you were saying that you adjust the timing in low load high rpms. Do you mean that since you shift at 7500 and say load hits 240 there. Do you go to lower load in the 7500 column and adjust that? Or do you adjust it for where your rpm and load hits after the shift. Say it goes down to 5700 and 260 load. Do you make that the same timing to where that at 5700 and 260 you hit the same timing. Sorry for the silly question just trying to clarify.

Excited to hear how the tires do. I love the car and how well its doing.
It's a team effort for both cars. From the beginning we both agreed that I would handle the hardware, and 9sec9 would handle the software. I'll talk to him tonight and see if he can clarify your tuning questions. We are looking forward to the tires also. Thanks for the support.

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ patience, grasshopper, patience ...

IMO, Indy's methodical approach ends up netting not just more data, but more _useful_ data.

l8r)

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
This thread is going on and on forever..... it would be soo much easier to simply dump in some 110 crank up the boost and call it a day.
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'm afraid the methodical approach will yield a bleeding edge tune and inconsistant results where as race gas and tbe provides 11s to almost everyone.
The methodical approach has got us this far, and will get us into the 11's with the complete stock exhaust including the stock cat. It's easy to throw parts at something, the reward is setting a goal and meeting it.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Aug 3, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's