Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks crcain, nothing special in the 60' department. A 1.703 best, and 1.816 worst, right after a rain shower.

I had fun and, the car ran well, and that's good enough for me.

We have run 65 passes so far in 09 and by the end of the season I'll have 100 in the log book. It's only an 11 second car, but it has been plenty of fun for Tom and I to run it all season long without any issues besides wearing out the stock clutch (30k plus miles and over 30 launches) and still drive it every day. And in the end, fun is what it's all about .

Last edited by Indy Evo; Sep 23, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
9sec9 has an awesome 91 octane tune, just ask the guys from Oklahoma that posted in this thread.
Yes sir! 91 sucks, but not so bad with a tune

Although I wished I would have switched to E lonng ago. Stuff is really amazing. Dropped .5 off my 1/4 just by switching. It will be dropping more as soon as i get some more fuel upgrades
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:55 PM
Account Disabled

9sec9 you do tunes for other customers via email? My friend is lookn if your able to do anything shoot me a pm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dizzy Drake, I've only been doing the tunes on a few cars to test various ideas and parts. I like to support the guys on the forum that make a living at it. David Buschur has an excellent tune for the IX as well as Mellon, TTP and others. I would like to see support for those guys that do it everyday. Thanks though.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Just got home, we made three passes all in the 11's. The last was the quickest, a 11.726 @ 114.56 with a 1.653 60'. It seems we are starting to get the hang of launching the car on these tires and clutch. After running a new personal best and hitting another goal of Tom and mine I parked it for the evening.

Thanks Tom and family, our thoughts and prayers are with you tonight. This ones for Mom Powell. Indy

Last edited by Indy Evo; Sep 29, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Just got home, we made three passes all in the 11's. The last was the quickest, a 11.726 @ 114.56 with a 1.653 60'.
Man that's amazing you guys just keep cutting time off! I dont like you trying to catch me when I have wasted all my money on these mods lol

Thanks Tom and family, our thoughts and prayers are with you tonight. This ones for Mom Powell. Indy

^^^^AGREED! Tom I am right around the corner from you, if you ever need anything DEF let me know I owe you!!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

11.72 @ 114.56 !!
Originally Posted by 9sec9
crcain, what you're missing here is something I've stated on several occassions. The 60' time is absolutely only 1 part of the contribution that a tire makes to the run. The weight and the rolling resistence both contribute to the entire run. Since we've obviously had launching problems with the new clutch and the new tires, we STILL been able to increase the mph substantially with the same tune and car, while at the same time, lower the ET from 12.01 to 11.83. We've now also had 4 or 5 runs below our previous best on the BFGs, all of them in the 11's. That kind of proves once and for all that anyone looking at 60' times only has no clue as to how important other factors really are. These tires, due to being radial, contribute to the ET/MPH by the engine not having to 'PUSH' 4 nearly flat tires for a 1/4 of a mile. That's energy savings. As the MPH goes up, the ET will also drop, which it has.

Indy made several, several runs in all configurations prior to us testing the new Hoosiers. At ORP, the BEST mph was only 113.xx if I recall correctly. We then put the tires on the car, went to Muncy and 1st pass recorded it's best ET AND MPH of 12.00 @ 116.58. Then went back to ORP and have backed that up with several runs in the 115+ and 4 or 5 ET's in the 11.8's and 11.9s. The exact same parts, the exact same tune, with the normal 'conditions' tweeking' as I've always done. Now, as Indy gets the clutch 'feel' down and the 60's drop, I would be looking for solid 11.7's out of this MBC, airfilter and tuned car. That's pretty clear as to the benefits we've seen while using this tire. Lots of bite with a new clutch feel is what we're working through now.
The fact remains with all of the pointed questions (not crcain and the above quote) and the slanted posts, we're still running the same parts and tune, the 60's are slowly dropping for us and yet the ET and the MPH have greatly improved. If we judged the tires, based on a 60' time and said "Oh well, they're not going to help us" we would NEVER have been running 11.7's with an MBC, Airfilter and tune for engine mods. Discounting something based solely on one factor shows either ignorance or jaundiced eyes. We will continue to improve, inspite of those looking for something wrong with what we do.

On a quick side note. Thank those of you who have said your prayers for my family and I. I lost my Mother Saturday evening after a 5 year fight with cancer and we sincerely appreciate the well wishers and prayers.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sent you a PM Tom.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry to hear that Tom.

If the tires drop the ET they are doing the job. If I could go from an 11.1 with a 1.6 sixty to a 10.9 with a 1.7 sixty I would gladly do so.
At the end of the day ET is what everyone is shooting for.

I think everyones hang up is the fact that MOST Evos that ET really well do it because they sixty really well too. Congrats on the tire, it seems to be doing well to me. I hope the devolpment continues and we see better 60s along with the reduced resistance and higher traps that you already got down
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

The most impressive part is the actual owner of this car is the one driving to these great times on such limited mods - not relying on skills of someone else to get the car down the track like a mad man.....and learning about the car in the process to just keep getting faster.

good job Indy and 9sec9
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks David for the PM. We can all agree or disagree on cars, mods and all of the other surrounding paraphenalia, but real daily life experiences are what's important. You're still a very good man and FAMILY man.

2highpsi, you've pointed out the exact reason that 60's aren't the 'all encompassing reason' to choose a tire. Indy's car simply has a hard time spinning the tires. These tires are pretty much 9" slicks in a radial design. Any 9" slick on a stock car is going to give problems with too much bite. That's why we've continued to have our best performance at 30psi.

I'm not too sure that David and I look at not driving our cars as a negative. As much as I love to drive the car, it's really difficult to do both at the track. For me, my son OKIX is and always has been the driver. It gives me the ability to tell him that the problem is him, not the tune. If I drove it AND tuned it, who can I blame? You see Tony, I DO need you.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
I'm not too sure that David and I look at not driving our cars as a negative. As much as I love to drive the car, it's really difficult to do both at the track. For me, my son OKIX is and always has been the driver. It gives me the ability to tell him that the problem is him, not the tune. If I drove it AND tuned it, who can I blame? You see Tony, I DO need you.
haha that is quality entertainment
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks chaotichoax. I guess the truth is the truth. Even Tony can tell you that the tune always stays the same, it's the driver that keeps changing the variables.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the new time! Best wishes to 9sec9 as well.

60's are coming down now. 1.5's not far away.

Indy you ride the clutch out of the hole right?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Boy, I'm waiting for THIS answer.

Quick Reply: Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's