Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arkitek
i wish tom would tune my car. but he's always so busy!!!
Damn Arkitek, I completely forgot about you needing a tune! Call my cell. I've given some of my Innovate LM1 and various logging equip to a friend, but if I remember correctly you already have a wideband. Let's get your car tuned.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
So far, 2 runs for the night: 12.03@113.18 and 12.02@113.35. Jim said track condition not as good as last time. 60's are 1.64 and 1.65 respectively. The quickest run was slightly slower on front half, but more than made up for it on back half. First run had 89 mph 1/8th, second run was 88.09 mph 1/8th. Final run of the night is very near.
Your within a second of another white evo build I was just reading about. The difference is however that the other car has thousands of dollars into it. I think that the price to performance ratio that you have achieved really shows how much you guys know about the cars.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Your within a second of another white evo build I was just reading about. The difference is however that the other car has thousands of dollars into it. I think that the price to performance ratio that you have achieved really shows how much you guys know about the cars.
I think it is great what has been achieved so far, but 3+ years ago I believe there were many that were in the high 11's with just an MBC ,TBE, and tune...Unfortunately the cost to speed ratio is not linear and once you're in the 11s it is much more expensive to get into the 10s and so forth....

PS -- 9Sec9 you must do some great tuning and Indy you must do some fine driving...Keep up the great work.

Last edited by cij911; May 13, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled

This car does not have an exhaust or am I missing something? Even so it would be worthwhile to find a couple of these 12 second flat 3 mod cars from 3+ years ago on pump gas. So if you wouldn't mind post them up so that we can compare/contrast.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
This car does not have an exhaust or am I missing something? Even so it would be worthwhile to find a couple of these 12 second flat 3 mod cars from 3+ years ago on pump gas. So if you wouldn't mind post them up so that we can compare/contrast.
I know of three guys (personally), one of whom practically lives on evom -- Warrtalon (Clay)....I believe at one point he co-marketed the hot, cheap setup...The other mod's not exactly called out with the Indy setup are the octane, rims, and drag radials....The old runs that I was referring to were on street tires, factory rims, pump gas, but did have a TBE...

Much of this has been documented by Buschur, AMS, and others....
Old May 13, 2009, 07:15 PM
Account Disabled

TBE is a completely different ballgame from wheels/tires. Once again we are back at my original question that you are so eloquently avoiding. Please post many of these cars, their times, and how fast they went with an air filter, tune, and a flipping wheel/tire change.

I think a 12 nearly flat at 112-113 is frekin fast on **** fuel. Some people are having troubles running less than a second faster, with much better fuel, built motor, built drivetrains, upgraded turbo, etc. I'm not talking a couple hundred, or a couple thousand more. I'm talking many many thousands more to run what amounts to about 9 tenths quicker. I know things to exponential, but the exponent should not assume the infinity symbol.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

have you guys tried the NLTS patch? maybe that should help out
Old May 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nikkadanny
have you guys tried the NLTS patch? maybe that should help out
9sec9 looked at the logs and said in my case he did not think it was necessary.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
9sec9 looked at the logs and said in my case he did not think it was necessary.
nice, im guessing your shifting super fast, well keep up the good work i wanna see the 11.90
Old May 14, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
9sec9 and I have been working on getting the most out of the least with my 06RS. The best it ran with just a tune was 12.86@104. We could have run it longer at that level, but we were happy with the result and felt it was time to move on..

Tonight we only got a couple of runs, and with just a Hallman MBC, Buschur filter, and a 9sec9 tune we went downtown in a big way 12.223@111.32. This is still a stock RS, no weight reduction, no exhaust, just the two engine mods and a tune. I threw away the money shot run and still managed to run a 12.87@108.34 missing second with a 1.658 60 ft. The DA for tonight was 1914 ft.

We are shooting for high 11's and know with a good run we will be there. Thanks 9sec9 you said I'd run a .20 or better and there it was. Fathouse made some killer runs also, but I'll let him post those. I know 9sec9 will be reviewing the logs later to see if we can find more power since we run tomorrow and Sunday. Stay tuned Indy
Gday Jim,

I have been following your thread this last week but haven't been able to wish you & 9sec9 the best of luck....buggered key board.

What incredible results you two have come up with, I'm barracking for you here to get that elusive 11sec et mate. Damn you can shift ole boy & this is without NLTS, you'll be giving Tony a run for his money soon.

As others have said, your results are better than a lot of peoples bolt on's 1/4 times. Some are saying it's been done before in this thread, but your fresh & fully disclosed approach is indeed different. Most have put on the basic bolt on's then attempted passes, you & Tom are doing it one step at a time & then adding something into the eqation after you have met your goals. I wish I had your patience Jim, not to mention a 1/100 of your technical knowledge.

I know your sig says the 1/4 is your dyno, are you guy's using any software to measure incremental step up's in power & torque, besides time/mph? Maybe something like DLL , if not you could use Mr Fred's excel spread sheet with Jack of Trades new comparison spread sheet. It allows you to measure the last tuning tweaks compared to your lastest changes, utilizing evoscan data.

Give that 11 a go before you move on, it will niggle at you if you don't.

Best of luck to both yourself & Tom........you guy's have been way to quiet, great to see the wealth of knowledge back in town.

Regards Steve
Old May 15, 2009, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Mate , 9sec9 is in charge if the data and has all the numbers.

I just got back from Ray Skillman Mitsubishi here in Indy from my 30,000 mile service. The service manager Robin got me in at the last second since I was on that side of town checking on 9sec9 parts, The tech Ron brought out the drain plugs for trans, transfercase, and rear end. All looked goood. In and out in 45 minutes to Skillman Mitsu. From there it was on to Earls Indy to pick up a durometer to measure tire hardness as you soon will see what I'm getting at.

Yokohama AO-46 235-45-17 OEM tire , 42.3lbs, contact patch 8.5, tire hardness 80, three years old 125 mile take offs purchased from David Buschur at last years Shootout. I have not run them yet as I'm waiting for stock RS wheels to arrive.

Kuhmo Ecsta ASX all season radials 235-45-17, 42lbs, contact patch 8.5, tire hardness 73, purchased from e bay w/BBS wheels. tire psi 23 F, 25 R, 1.768 60' 12.86@104.84 tune only

BFG DR 225-45-17, 38.5lbs, contact patch on 8.5" wheels 7.5, tire hardness 50, on loan from 9sec9, tire psi 25 F and R 1.658 60' 12.024@113.35 w/ MBC, filter, tune

As you can see there is a 3.5 lbs difference per wheel with a 1.0 reduction in contact patch, and a 30 point reduction in tire hardness. I have only twenty four passed total on this car and I'm still learning how it likes to be launched, but from what I have heard, there have been many getting similar 60's with the stock AO's when they were new. With sitting around for three years I would guess the AO's I have are harded than when they were new, time will tell. Once I get a chance to run them I will post up the data.

The weather looks good for this Sunday and we will be back out there trying to break into the 11's. Thanks for the support, Indy and 9sec9

Last edited by Indy Evo; May 30, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:59 AM

Can't wait to catch up with indyevo, and 9sec9 and get tuned with an injector install..
Old May 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Knock..Knock...Is that opportunity Knocking or a 11sec time slip?

In for updates
Old May 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Nothing new to report ET wise, we were working on specific areas of the tune and came away with plenty of data. The best run of the day was 12.213@111.89 1.7 60' with a 15+ mph head wind. Our back half data showed we were making more power so we feel today was productive. The car was on a heavier fuel load due to the fact it was a bracket race and I had to have enough to go rounds. It wasn't pretty, but I went three rounds and got my race fix for now. For the next two weeks I will be busy with the Indy 500, NHRA guys, and 9sec9's cage and latest round of parts. We are going to use this time to evaluate and apply the data recorded today for the next outing. Thanks, Indy and 9sec9
Old May 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

DANG I WAS HOPING TO SEE 11s

Nothing new to report ET wise, we were working on specific areas of the tune and came away with plenty of data. The best run of the day was 12.213@111.89 1.7 60' with a 15+ mph head wind. Our back half data showed we were making more power so we feel today was productive. The car was on a heavier fuel load due to the fact it was a bracket race and I had to have enough to go rounds. It wasn't pretty, but I went three rounds and got my race fix for now. For the next two weeks I will be busy with the Indy 500, NHRA guys, and 9sec9's cage and latest round of parts. We are going to use this time to evaluate and apply the data recorded today for the next outing. Thanks, Indy and 9sec9

Quick Reply: Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's