Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sweet LED mod I did to my truck, that I want to do to my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by musicii
hey i want interior lights in my car too but im just wondering are these legal?

also is it really noticeable that u have interior light from the outside?
You can have rainbow lights inside of the car and be perfectly legal... it is the interior we are talking about here.

If those under-door lights are on while I'm driving thats means I've got the bigger problem of "having a door open while driving" instead of worrying about legality.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it in theory, but I can't stand the colored lights. Too bright as well, just looks like underglow when you open the door.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool rice
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Also remember, blue is to cops what red is to bulls. You might be in for a few "impersonating a police officer" talking-to's.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

i think it looks good, very clean look you obviously took the time to make it look nice and wired it in properly and its not like you're running an underglow kit like civic. you are just using to accent your car which i see as the complete opposite of rice, IMO
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:37 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
I like it in theory, but I can't stand the colored lights. Too bright as well, just looks like underglow when you open the door.
They really aren't as bright as the camera shows because it is so overexposed. They look very vivid in real life, and you can definitely tell they aren't underglow.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:40 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sassaphrass
i think it looks good, very clean look you obviously took the time to make it look nice and wired it in properly and its not like you're running an underglow kit like civic. you are just using to accent your car which i see as the complete opposite of rice, IMO
The whole "rice" thing doesn't even bother me.

I took a hell of a lot of time to do this. First I had to figure out how to do it, that was the hard part. On my Ford it was easy because there are 2 different circuits for both doors. On the Mitsu all 4 doors are in parallel, and I had to figure out how to diode isolate and wire the transistors. Plus there is a hell of a lot more trim in the Mitsu that you have to take off to hide things and do it nice. I had to wire all of this as stealth as possible. The whole thing took about 3 weekends, I'd say I spent 40+ hours on it.. I actually was able to put in valvesprings and retime the engine in less time than it took me to do this mod.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
The whole "rice" thing doesn't even bother me.

I took a hell of a lot of time to do this. First I had to figure out how to do it, that was the hard part. On my Ford it was easy because there are 2 different circuits for both doors. On the Mitsu all 4 doors are in parallel, and I had to figure out how to diode isolate and wire the transistors. Plus there is a hell of a lot more trim in the Mitsu that you have to take off to hide things and do it nice. I had to wire all of this as stealth as possible. The whole thing took about 3 weekends, I'd say I spent 40+ hours on it.. I actually was able to put in valvesprings and retime the engine in less time than it took me to do this mod.
i figured it wold take awhile to do it cleanly, it took a friend and myself 10+ hours or so and a couple of cases of beer to do the interior and exterior neons on my my last car and it didnt come out anywhere near the look you obtained. like everyone else said they arent for everyone, but if i could make it look like how you did it i would do it to mine. and you have a mod that probably nobody else has on their evo, which is preety awesome
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:09 PM

That's awesome, nice job Jp7, if I had the ability to do that I totally would.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:50 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aven
That's awesome, nice job Jp7, if I had the ability to do that I totally would.
It's actually not that hard after you understand how the door sensing wiring system works.

You need 4 transistors, 4 diodes, 4 strips of LED, a bit of wire (in 3 unique colors) and a way to hook it into power safely on a fused circuit.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

How about a how-to to do this? I'd like to do it myself, though with white. I'm tired of getting my pumas wet in a puddle or stepping in a slick spot at night. :\
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:57 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
How about a how-to to do this? I'd like to do it myself, though with white. I'm tired of getting my pumas wet in a puddle or stepping in a slick spot at night. :\
OK - will do tomorrow.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is pretty nice. I will do something like this but in white and not as bright. Just something nice and elegant, more for use then for baller status... Kinda like how the Nissan Gloria and Cedric has. Waiting on the write up...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

looks nice man do what you want u want you bought the car.. and if people dont have anything good to say then dont say it seriously.. bunch of jack ***'s on this site
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

Seriously, who are we to talk about what's ricey, my car came stock with a wing that looks like it came off a cessna =D

Quick Reply: Sweet LED mod I did to my truck, that I want to do to my Evo...