Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo's been stripped...

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, those pics make me cringe.

they really Raped that car.

*speachless*
Old May 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, poor evo...I'd say get a wife and get a house with a garage. Def not worth it to go through this stuff again, regardless what alarm system you get. Me coming from chicago, to the suburbs to another state, I'd like to say that i wouldn't own a nice car because of this fact. I'd take up another hobby or something and just enjoy the beater. Its tough enough worrying about taking care of the car, not hitting potholes, not parking close to beaters (may scratch you), staying away from trees, staying away from prolonged exposure to the sun, worrying about a neighborhood your not familiar with (let alone your own). We all work too hard for the stuff we own.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akemi27
wow, poor evo...I'd say get a wife and get a house with a garage. Def not worth it to go through this stuff again, regardless what alarm system you get. Me coming from chicago, to the suburbs to another state, I'd like to say that i wouldn't own a nice car because of this fact. I'd take up another hobby or something and just enjoy the beater. Its tough enough worrying about taking care of the car, not hitting potholes, not parking close to beaters (may scratch you), staying away from trees, staying away from prolonged exposure to the sun, worrying about a neighborhood your not familiar with (let alone your own). We all work too hard for the stuff we own.
Why do you need a wife in order to get a house with a garage?

No wife = 2 places to park your cars.
Old May 22, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

First off... sorry you had to deal with this. I cannot imagine how you feel. I hope whatever route you decide to take, is an easy one; and I hope your insurance company totals it. You're actually better off that way. As for keeping the car safe... hard to do when you live in a rental. When I was in apartments, I left my Evo at the rents and only got to see her on the weekends. I'm in a house now, and even though I cannot keep her in the garage as of yet (it's currently being used as storage ), I have a very loud alarm (paging is good btw, but the alarm can be a deterant) that if I hear (from car or key-chain), I will be darting outside unleashing fury. Again, i honestly can't even imagine how you must feel and as much as I hate to say this, getting another Evo in the same area may result in the same outcome. Also, I'm not even totally sure I believe your apartment complex personnel couldn't have done anything about this. I'm somewhat inclined to suspect they have something to gain from these incidents.

Originally Posted by LagginTimes
So... I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys living in densely populated suburban neighborhoods that only have a driveway with no garage. I've been quite depressed over this past weekend because of what's happened. My mind is now completely undecided over whether or not it'd be worth it to own another Evo... or any nice car for that matter.

I'd say 60% of me wants to check out what the Evo X is capable of... but the other 40% of me is telling myself to go buy some beater *** car that will more than likely make me hate my life when I'm trying to drive the 4 hours home. Anyways, what I'm curious to know is this. What do you guys do to protect your Evo? The only ideas I can come up with so far is:

-Silent car alarm system that pages my cell.
-A few sets of motion-activated lights focused on the driveway and the sidewalk in front of the house.
-Hope my neighbors are nice and we can watch out for each other.
-(Maybe) Installing some sort of surveillance for the driveway.

If I do get an Evo X, I most decidedly will not mod the car whatsoever until my one year lease in Arlington is up and I find somewhere with a garage. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated here.

Oh, and insurance has yet to contact me. :/

Last edited by lords3t; May 22, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:54 AM

As for keeping the car safe... hard to do when you live in a rental. When I was in apartments, I left my Evo at the rents and only got to see her on the weekends. I'm in a house now, and even though I cannot keep her in the garage as of yet (it's currently being used as storage ), I have a very loud alarm (paging is good btw, but the alarm can be a deterant) that if I hear (from car or key-chain), I will be darting outside unleashing fury. Again, i honestly can't even imagine how you must feel and as much as I hate to say this, getting another Evo in the same area may result in the same outcome. Also, I'm not even totally sure I believe your apartment complex personnel couldn't have done anything about this. I'm somewhat inclined to suspect they have something to gain from these incidents.
Not sure if this would help, but the house I am moving into for the next year will be occupied by 4-5 people, including me (we've all known each other since Penn State). One of these roommates also has a nice car. The room I'm taking is on the second floor and has a back porch door leading straight to the driveway. As such, my car will literally be just 25 feet from me. Also, because I usually work from home, I will be nearby the car almost all the time. As such, any alarm being set off would also lead to me darting outside unleashing fury.

The neighborhood is also quite different than where I live right now. Tysons Corner has a population of 100,000+ during the day and only ~20,000 at night. The sheltered garage and low traffic here at night gave thieves all the time in the world to do their stuff. If they try anything stupid at the house I live in, I will know, and I am more than ready to respond.

Oh, and the apathy the apartment personnel showed towards people who got their cars broken into or stolen also made me think that they're in on it.

Edit: Since the Evo X MR has an automatic mode (meaning my parents can drive it around), I also thought about occasionally leaving the Evo at home where I know it's safe.

Last edited by LagginTimes; May 22, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

go with the X then.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

So a full interior and some sets of wheels and tires were taken in one night? Someone had to have tools and a pickup or van just to remove and haul away the stuff. Sounds professional to me.

BTW - cameras and alarms won't stop this from happening. Cameras will only make a record of when it happened and possibly how many people were involved. There's almost never enough resolution in security camera systems to make a positive ID of anyone.

Total bummer dude. Unfortunately your only recourse is through your insurance company.

Now might be a good time to start a petition against the apartment complex owner/management about the parking security problem. Get lawyers involved and make it more expensive for the complex to not improve security.

Again, Major Bummer.