Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My 'build' wknd w/ SmikeEvo...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 'build' wknd w/ SmikeEvo...

Smikeevo was nice enough to come down this wknd and help me install my mods and give me a tune. I took the bumper off Thursday night and got the car jacked and Smikeevo arrived on Friday afternoon and we worked non-stop til Sunday afternoon with some help w/ my roommate for a couple of hours and evom member 'inslowoutfast' onSunday morning. I am actually sore from all the work, but glad 90% of it done in one shot. I am indebted to Smikeevo for his help. He really went out of his way and I appreciate it. His tune pulls hard and is nice and smooth as well. Will be even better when we sort the wideband.

Here is the list:

Cobb turboback exhaust w/ Megan DP and Megan Resonated Test Pipe:

This exhaust is the quietest exhaust I've ever heard on an evo....period. And it's 3in all the way through to boot. In terms of satisfaction, this was my best mod. It couldn't sound any better and it is quiet as heck with a deep grumble and nice grrr when u get on it. My only beef was with the generic Megan test pipe. The bung for my Wideband O2 sensor was orientated such that the O2 hit my drive shaft. Had to flip the test pipe upside down to get it to fit, but now the O2 sensor is in the 4 o'clock position. Bad news for condensation over time. Will have to have another bung welded in.

Whiteline sway bars installed my TheShopCT.com:

Can't say that I felt much with my All-seasons & KYBs on the car after TheShopCT did a great job installing them and giving me a deal. Can't thank them enough. They really saved me some time. I guess I wasn't able to push them enough with the tires.

(Smikeevo can compare them to his experience with Swift Sways, Swift Sport Springs, and Swift Spec-R Springs)

GTWorx springs:

Very nice. I thought they were what was advertised. Nice and supple over the bumps and tighten up nice when u turn hard. They drop 20mm front and 15mm rear. No one can tell and I dig the stock look.

(Smikeevo can compare them to his experience with Swift Sways, Swift Sport Springs, and Swift Spec-R Springs)

HD Bilstein shocks/struts:

Same for these too, I really like this combo of HD Bilsteins and GTWorx springs.

ETS 3.5in Intercooler:

I bought the FMIC from Mike at AWD Motorsports. A little miscommunication on which FMIC was shipped but I was told the regular 3.5in FMIC would fit my IX, but they usually sold the wide tank designed FMIC for IXs and used the wide-cored FMIC for VIIIs. Not the case for me at least. Hopefully it was a one-off.

It did not fit well. the IC itself fit fine with minimal trimming out in front (I kept the stock undertray off, not sure if trimming would of been required, but they said no.) but the left and right brackets were a bit off and the mounting screws did not fit into the spots on the frame. PIA. I do believe though that this FMIC will perform well.

ETS Lower intercooler pipe:

Fit and finish of the pipe (I got it in SS so it did not rust over time) was very good, but some of the T-bolt clamps were too small so we had to reuse the worm clamps in places. A size up would of been nice.

EBAY short shifter and shifter base bushings:

Didn't get around to installing the actual short shifter, but we did install the bushings. Helped to firm up the shifting.

EBAY shifter base & Speed Source under hood bushings:

These made the biggest difference in my shifting...ever. Screw the different types of fluid, this made an actual difference. No it's not honda-like, but definitely better.

Amsoil conical air filter & Vibrant adapter plate:

Purchased this filter based off S2kracka's review:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-results.html

Crankcase Breather:

It was cheap, and matched the filter, haha.

Prosport 52mm boost gauge:

seems to work fine for me.

Autometer 52mm gauge pod:

Fits well, a little rubbing when I turn the wheel full lock, but no biggie.

Stuff left to install as them come in:
Hotlaps Motorsports brake duct cooling kit
technifit SS brake lines
Amsoil brake fluid
Hawk HT-10 track pads

I left undertray off...what a friggin' pain in the ****. I could care less if it gives me one more mph down the back straight, haha.

I also wanted to thank S2kracka for advice over the past few days over IM, and also inslowoutfast. He stopped Sunday morning and helped reassemble some of the car as well as come along for the test and tune. He did a great job keeping an eye on the boost gauge while I stayed in my lane. haha.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad the weekend went well! Get that short-shifter installed and you'll really be loving your transmission.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It was a blast to come down and wrench to 3am, run back for some work, come back and wrench more, then finish Sunday morning.

Car felt great! This was actually the first time for me on the GTWorx. Compared to my Swift Sports and Spec Rs - the definitely are in the middle. Great feeling to them, compliant over bumps, but stiff in the turns (on A046s). The car felt neutral to me. I would probably run the stiffest rear sway setting, but I am used to my car.

Car pulls hard. And there is a bit left on the table for you to play with

And I agree, the quietest exhaust ever. Just slightly louder than OE.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds like a sweet build and everything, good choice in parts, but...

Old May 18, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I posted pics of the parts, sheesh. There was ~no~ time to take pics...we were full throttle on this install. Mike tells me "that was a lot of parts" so that must tell ya something. haha.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

LOL yea you did a year of recreational modding in a weekend!
Old May 18, 2009, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hows the short shifter working?
Old May 18, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

I was reading and stock piling for a year, hehe.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

nice work looks like a hell of a weekend... put some pics up of it.....
Old May 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Look's good. Mike's handy to have around for installs
Old May 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
great choice of filter and good luck with the build

Amsoil conical air filter & Vibrant adapter plate:
Old May 18, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusiondsm
hows the short shifter working?
He hasn't installed it yet, but I have the same one and I absolutely love it. Everyone who I've let drive my car has proceeded to also buy one.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Nice upgrades! Glad to see evo owners getting together to help each other!
Since you are from CT, I assume that you go to Lime Rock a lot. Just wondering if you've been there since the LRP got the new pavement. I really miss LRP. What a fun little track! Good luck!
Old May 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Short shifter will go in when the upper pivot cup comes in plus more bushings. Kuddos to S2kracka for the tip on picking up the ebay shifter on the cheap.

Only spectated at LRP. LRP and NJMP, Monticello, Pocono, NHIS are all on the table. Would LOVE to get back to VIR...but no, never drove LRP. I've never had a car on a track, only motorcycles and LRP doesn't have proper runoff room for them.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was a great weekend! I have to find parts to fix mine back up after the accident on Saturday

Quick Reply: My 'build' wknd w/ SmikeEvo...