Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Official Evo I-IX Owner Pet Peeve / **** Retentive List

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 04:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Official Evo I-IX Owner Pet Peeve / **** Retentive List

I have quite a few, curious what others are. What are your pet peeves in regards to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution that you drive. I realized lately I have quite a few. I just love this car and want to keep it in great condition for years to come.

-I feel I must wash the car with Meguiars and a soapy bucket / Microfiber sponge after a rain or at least once a week to keep that clean fresh look. It's a form of yin/yang for me just to spend an hour a week with the car cleaning her. I usually do it on a late Friday afternoon right when the sun is setting.

-I fully dry my car with a ~150mph leaf blower top to bottom to prevent clear coat surface scratches from forming.

-After I wash it, I take it for a quick spin to clean the surface rust off the rotors, then detail the wheels / calipers and wheel wells.

-I completely detail the engine bay after each wash by spraying/wiping down the entire car fully with Meguiars quick mist detail and a microfiber towel.

-I use Mothers Back to Black on the stripping approx. once every month to keep the black weather striping hydrated and fresh looking.

-I religiously change the oil with 10W30 every 3k miles. While changing it I put on a brand new drain plug and filter every time and while the oil is draining, I flush the system with half a quart of new oil to get the remaining contaminants out before filling.

-Floor dirt bothers me. I took out the factory floor mats and replaced them with RubberMaid deep grooved plastic mats that catch dirt, water and anything else. Cleaning them is as easy as spraying with a water hose.

-I never get into boost until the Defi water temp gauge is at full 200 / 210 operating temp.

-I go to greaths lengths to avoid water puddles and sprinkler systems that love to water the street more than the lawn. (Only if I just cleaned it!)

-I go to greath lengths to never leave the Evo sitting out in the sun. At home, it's parked in the garage. At work, I have the VIP spot in the company parking garage, covered away from the elements.

-I noticed that I have a habit of driving my car until the fuel light comes on, then getting a fresh tank of Sunoco 93 pump gas.

Wow, I am **** retentive about my car! It's worth it!
Old May 21, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, I know what you mean man. Except it's my mom with her Vette.. And that I have to clean it. Every time it comes out of the garage, I have to wash, wax, and detail it; auto show quality. Thankfully it hasn't been out too much (12k miles in almost 10 years).
Old May 21, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its an Evo not a gold plated Royals Royce.

I drive it, I race it, I sometimes wash it, I upkeep it.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Its an Evo not a gold plated Royals Royce.

I drive it, I race it, I sometimes wash it, I upkeep it.
19'd.

I think you might be the only mod on this board that actually owns a Mitsubishi, let alone an Evo... maybe?

What's a Royals Royce? I know of Rolls Royce, but something royal they makin now?
Old May 21, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Spelling > me.

Otter owns a RA, Fireball owns a VIII.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
chaotichoax has a white MR edition.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

damn the op is super crazy about his car... lol i take care of mine, but sometimes i just like to think" hey its just a car " ...
Old May 21, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Noize has a X too.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
I have quite a few, curious what others are. What are your pet peeves in regards to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution that you drive. I realized lately I have quite a few. I just love this car and want to keep it in great condition for years to come.

-I feel I must wash the car with Meguiars and a soapy bucket / Microfiber sponge after a rain or at least once a week to keep that clean fresh look. It's a form of yin/yang for me just to spend an hour a week with the car cleaning her. I usually do it on a late Friday afternoon right when the sun is setting.

-I fully dry my car with a ~150mph leaf blower top to bottom to prevent clear coat surface scratches from forming.

-After I wash it, I take it for a quick spin to clean the surface rust off the rotors, then detail the wheels / calipers and wheel wells.

-I completely detail the engine bay after each wash by spraying/wiping down the entire car fully with Meguiars quick mist detail and a microfiber towel.

-I use Mothers Back to Black on the stripping approx. once every month to keep the black weather striping hydrated and fresh looking.

-I religiously change the oil with 10W30 every 3k miles. While changing it I put on a brand new drain plug and filter every time and while the oil is draining, I flush the system with half a quart of new oil to get the remaining contaminants out before filling.

-Floor dirt bothers me. I took out the factory floor mats and replaced them with RubberMaid deep grooved plastic mats that catch dirt, water and anything else. Cleaning them is as easy as spraying with a water hose.

-I never get into boost until the Defi water temp gauge is at full 200 / 210 operating temp.

-I go to greaths lengths to avoid water puddles and sprinkler systems that love to water the street more than the lawn. (Only if I just cleaned it!)

-I go to greath lengths to never leave the Evo sitting out in the sun. At home, it's parked in the garage. At work, I have the VIP spot in the company parking garage, covered away from the elements.

-I noticed that I have a habit of driving my car until the fuel light comes on, then getting a fresh tank of Sunoco 93 pump gas.

Wow, I am **** retentive about my car! It's worth it!

Jesus this sounds just like me...except I don't use a leaf blower, I use the absorber, and don't use back to black... also I to add I change the tranny, t-case, and rear diff every 15,000 miles...
Old May 21, 2009, 08:04 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
19'd.

I think you might be the only mod on this board that actually owns a Mitsubishi, let alone an Evo... maybe?

What's a Royals Royce? I know of Rolls Royce, but something royal they makin now?
what? how about 2?
Old May 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

No Claybar?

When using a claybar (twice a year), I feel like I have OCD...
Old May 21, 2009, 09:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 06RS
No Claybar?

When using a claybar (twice a year), I feel like I have OCD...
That's next. I am going to get a porter cable from detailers domain and have the claybar already. I plan on doing the whole car for some clear coat correction. There's not much needed to be done but I see swirl marks and random spider webs in some spots, not visible unless you are up close but I can see them.

Yes I will be claybarring soon.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

How come no one has mentioned the horrible misuse of the phrase "pet peeve"? My pet peeve are people that spend more time cleaning this car than driving it.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

That's next. I am going to get a porter cable from detailers domain and have the claybar already. I plan on doing the whole car for some clear coat correction. There's not much needed to be done but I see swirl marks and random spider webs in some spots, not visible unless you are up close but I can see them.

Yes I will be claybarring soon.

You don't sound as overly **** retentive as you might think. You sound like you like a clean car. A lot of people (including myself) can completely understand. You'll find people who are detailers (also including myself) are very meticulous about the way the car is kept.

Some people just don't care and drive the car like it's....well a car. To each his own I say. I love a nice swirl free car and work hard to keep it that way when I get the chance.

And Black is the most difficult color to keep looking great, but it's also the most rewarding IMO.

The PC is a great (maybe a must) for a great detail. I've had mine for many years and it still works great. Also I use Meguiar's Professional Series for any of the cars I work on. I've used a few different brands and I really like the Meguiar's Pro stuff. There are a lot of great detailing companies out there though.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; May 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostless
How come no one has mentioned the horrible misuse of the phrase "pet peeve"? My pet peeve are people that spend more time cleaning this car than driving it.
LOL! I was just wondering where the pet peeves are. OCD, AR for sure but not pet peeves.

*edit - the way this thread is going, it should be in Show & Shine, btw.