Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What rots an EVO over time?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I hope so but I doubt it. At least not for another 10 years. I had a 99 prelude pearl white type sh (5th gen) and from 01-04 and those are becoming really rare now. They are definitely not supra/300zx/mr2/etc level but definitely a nice car to drive and look at,
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To make it REAL SHORT, just buy another evo or a beater!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously it'll take time, But I don't consider a prelude worth keeping. The Evo is special like the skyline, and Supra. They will defenitly become rare over the years just read the wrecked thread, lol. I believe they will stay popular aswell. In the tuner world the EVO is a movie star. The EVO's in Fast and the furious especially the RR one. lol To some it's like Elenor in need for speed, the General lee in dukes of hazzard, or kit in Knite rider.

I realize people who are not in the scene don't know much about the EVO. They are becoming more, and more known throughout, due to their impressive performance, and unique look. Everyone in the Tuner Scene knows to watch out for the EVO.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a quick note if driving these in the winter. Pulling a car into a warm & humid garage with salt covering it will actually accelerate corrosion. So unlesss I had just cleaned it off or at least rinsed it well I would leave it outside. It seems barbaric but when it's below 25 F outside the salt isn't nearly as active compared to when it's warmer. That's one reason why the salt spray sitting on hot engine bay parts accelerates corrosion so much and is the hardest place to keep clean of winter wear.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

hrmmm, interesting tip.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Exactly Hiboost. I won't drive my evo if there is salt on the road as well as water/wet snow. I will drive it once all water is frozen however. Salt still accumulates on the under body of the car but I try to get it all cleaned off before the temperatures get close to above freezing again and then park it until it is much warmer. If you live somewhere where the temperature is hovering above and below freezing in winter you're going to end up with a lot more salt corrosion.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Originally Posted by kenikh
These cars aren't Ford Pintos...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

lol the spoiler! :P
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:48 AM

LOL.

Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
I just noticed some rust under the body of the car here and there while i was changing the tranny and diff fluids.. i was gonna just ask the shop to treat it or w/e and then cover it, but is this something pretty easy to take care of on my own?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:05 PM
Account Disabled

I drive a 95 ford torus with 180k in it thing is so bad messed up it should be a crime to drive it, but it keeps the 06 MR in the garage and that is all that matters only paid 500 for the beater, do yourself a favor get it !
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

my evo with 62k miles was my college dd and was never garaged for 5 years. so far she went through 4 winters and she is ready to take on the 5th winter. a year ago i noticed the evo used to have tiny speck of yellow rust spots all over the lower side door, side skirts and rear bumper. it was a pain to remove... but i managed to remove them all with a claybar. the wing was replaced under warranty due to fading clear coat. another thing is my front bumper and lower front part of the hood have some rock chipping... i wish i had a clear bra on it. my side mirrors have some rock chipping as well. i noticed my oil pan seems to have bubbling spots on it and i probably will get a new oil pan in the future. everything else underneath the evo looks fine. the bolts that holds the front bumper broke off easily. the bolts that holds the front license plate bracket also broke off. she went through countless car washes and recently she was professionally detailed. it took alot of maintenance to keep her in the best condition possible. if i had put her in a garage, life would be so much easier!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 02:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been driving on salted winter roads for ~30 years. I hate to say it, nothing works against the salt aside from not driving the car. Regardless of maintenance methodology, the salt gets into everything and corrodes over time. It's not uncommon for enthusiasts in this part of the country to look for shells from warmer states due to the salt and the (hidden) rust.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

hondas everywhere go for around $500...get one!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with the above posts. My old car an 02 wrx was driven every Winter and while there is no corrosion on the body the subframe and all bolts and fasteners are severly rusted. When working on the engine I snapped several rusted bolts and it just made engine work twice as long than it should have been since I was using dremels, drills and easy outs more than my socket wrench. Just try to keep it out of the salt. Also if you must drive on the highway drive slow and don't tailgate to minimize salt spray.

Quick Reply: What rots an EVO over time?