Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Babies and evos...

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babies and evos...

My wife and I just had our first child, and I was wondering how many dads tote their kids around in their evo. We bought the recaro child seat for my evo along with another one for my wifes suv. My question is about the noise level inside the car. My car is fairly modified and loud as hell (solid mounts dont help). How do newborns and toddlers do when it comes to riding in our stiff-***, rattle traps? My neighbors have commented on how loud my car is. If they think it is that loud, what would my son think of the noise? The evo is not my daily, but I did spend the money for a recaro child seat, so it would be a shame not to use it. IDK, what do you guys think?
Old May 24, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its too loud imo.

I took my daughter in my car when she was six months old and felt horrible for her. Forget the stiff ride (coilovers) but the sound isn't good for someone that little.

Use your wifes suv.
BTW.............READ this..............do a search about those recaro child seats. They had a pretty big recall a while back. Not trying to scare you and I honestly don't know what the recall was for...but they were selling them dirt cheap for a while because of the saftey recall.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

You should probably either avoid using it for the sake of the kid's hearing or put a quiet exhaust on it. I think the Tanabe Medalion is supposed to be the quietest or something. For me, I just removed the canister muffler and put a real muffler in there, as well as adding a resonator to the main pipe. It toned it down a LOT and it sounds great under WOT. No raspy noise, no window rattling at idle either.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Actually the more I think about it the recall was on the baby seats made for older kids I think (20lbs and heavier)....they make a recaro for a baby under 18lbs that is rear facing??? If so than maybe you have a car seat that is not part of this recall.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vibrant
my wife and i just had our first child, and i was wondering how many dads tote their kids around in their evo. We bought the recaro child seat for my evo along with another one for my wifes suv. My question is about the noise level inside the car. My car is fairly modified and loud as hell (solid mounts dont help). How do newborns and toddlers do when it comes to riding in our stiff-***, rattle traps? My neighbors have commented on how loud my car is. If they think it is that loud, what would my son think of the noise? The evo is not my daily, but i did spend the money for a recaro child seat, so it would be a shame not to use it. Idk, what do you guys think?
congrats
Old May 24, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have had my child of 18 months riding in my evo rear facing at first of course, but now in a recaro seat herself and she falls asleep everytime. She loves it I think it depends on the kid mine is fairly modified with Ams tbe does not bother her. Now starts every wanna be child expert will give their opinion on how I am a bad father. Anyway great car so far for it oh and congrats!
Old May 24, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Could run a silencer too maybe?
Old May 24, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

get an X... much more comfortable and MUCH safer!
Old May 24, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Before my EVO was wrecked my son was about 7 months old and he would always fall asleep in it. Now that I got a ralliart and he is 16months, he just like to sit in my lap and play with the steering wheel and stick, all he says is vroom vroom, its great.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Check out Britax car seats. Super nice. Worth the price imo.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have a Evo but i do have a few fairly loud cars and i take care of my little cousins.The kids would always fall asleep in the cars maybe because of the vibration or the tone of the exhaust itself. I would worry more about the ride than the exhaust,but you could always throw another bullet muffler on and quiet it down a bit.Just keep the RPM's low drive like an old lady and you'll be fine.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Your neighbors know what the car sounds like outside, but how loud is it really in the back seat? If you're worried, get a quieter muffler & silencer; and you can always call your doctor just to see how loud sounds can effect the development of a newborns ears.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

i think the exhaust sounds puts them to sleep..l always have my sisters baby in my car
Old May 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

I got the evo when my son was 6 months and never once has he complained. he falls asleep just fine on long trips and loves the vrooom vrooom sound when awake. I have a turbosx turbo back exhaust and i really don't think it's too loud.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

I was afraid about my newborn as well. My daughter is only 1 month old and I had to take her in the evo. She fell right to sleep, despite the bumpy ride and exhaust. Granted, I have the works exhaust and a megan RTP so it's pretty quiet.

Would I take her in it on a regular basis or on long trips, no. I'd much rather use the wife's 09 civic. Much quieter/safer/smoother.

Quick Reply: Babies and evos...