Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur Racing aerodynamic testing...of sorts.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
evodan, sorry, missed the part about the holes. No interest to be honest, it's a **** poor solution and ugly. The best way to fix the problem is to eliminate the problem, putting the diffuser on the car gets rid of I'd say 90% of the air that gets trapped in that bumper cover in the first place. Our diffuser lays flat to the rear diff and then has breaks in it to further catch the air that would travel over it by the control arms. You can see that the air is travelling nicely under the car by the way the yarn lays flat. You can also see that there is a low pressure area inside the rear bumper area from the yarn being sucked into it. It appears to me it is working very good, not that I am very smart in this area, just done some reading and such.

There are only a few guys on this board I'd put any faith in what they think of all this and one of them probably won't chime in here.
Old May 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Watch how many EVO's end up with VG's/diffusers and no wipers on them now! Sometimes I should learn to keep my information to myself. haha

I'm looking foward to doing the front end testing.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
evodan, sorry, missed the part about the holes. No interest to be honest, it's a **** poor solution and ugly. The best way to fix the problem is to eliminate the problem, putting the diffuser on the car gets rid of I'd say 90% of the air that gets trapped in that bumper cover in the first place. Our diffuser lays flat to the rear diff and then has breaks in it to further catch the air that would travel over it by the control arms. You can see that the air is travelling nicely under the car by the way the yarn lays flat. You can also see that there is a low pressure area inside the rear bumper area from the yarn being sucked into it. It appears to me it is working very good, not that I am very smart in this area, just done some reading and such.

There are only a few guys on this board I'd put any faith in what they think of all this and one of them probably won't chime in here.
thanks for the reply. i like this stage in testing for sure.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work.. You really have some patience for sure.. Also, I wouldnt expect anything less from trent at the end of the video.. HAHA

Mike
Old May 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

haha, I bought Trent some powder, looks like he may have some issues. haha He sure can drive though, maybe all that scratching makes him a bit twitchy!
Old May 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock spoiler produces 68lbs of downforce at 100mph according to motor trend which quoted Mitsubishi
Old May 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

dtrackstar, very cool. Do you have a link to that somewhere? Any idea how much the wicker bill adds to that?
Old May 26, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

What a great test and a AWESOME VIDEO Never new that the vortex generator could and does do so much
Old May 26, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David,
Nice work on the video. If I may suggest, to strengthen your testing, if you could attach the streamers 1-2" off the surface of the window, trunk, wing, etc. With the streamers attached directly on the surfaces, you get some boundary layer effects that give you some of the disruption I think. You might be able to take some coat hanger wire, and lodge it between the trunk and rear window to get the streamers a tad off the surface. For the top rear of the roof, you could bend some coat hanger wire to form a base, and tape that down to get the streamers a tad off the surface.

Just a thought. Nice work though.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no link...It's from the march 2005 issue (yes, I had the issue 3 yrs before I bought my car haha). I believe the 05 didn't have the wicker bill, but they talked about the vg and had a pic of how the wind passes with and witout the vg. They said it helps and talked about how it worked.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Some pictures for reference of the parts we have made to help with the aero on the cars.

Rear diffuser with a good shot of the ends kicked up to keep the air out by the control arms.

Front undertray, carbon fiber lip and block off plates.

Block off plate and front lip.

Rear mirror delete plates.

Just wanted to post this to add to the discussion/information. Not to make this a sales pitch but everything pictured is available. We also stock the OEM Mitsubishi Vortex Generators.

The mirror delete plates velcro on, so they can be put on and off.

I believe one of the biggest gains to the aero on the car is closing off as much of the front end as possible. Of course on a street car that is tough as you need cooling. The openings on the outside end of the fascia though are two places I could close off and I think make a big improvement. With them there you end up with two mini parachutes on the front end, not good. If you don't think it makes a difference hold you hand out the window flat at 60 mph and then try to hold a bag with the same size opening out the window at 60 mph, drastic difference in drag. Even cupping your hand adds to the drag. Now THAT is some scientific testing!
Old May 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

nice thread david and lol as well at trent, ahhaha
Old May 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Watch how many EVO's end up with VG's/diffusers and no wipers on them now! Sometimes I should learn to keep my information to myself. haha

I'm looking foward to doing the front end testing.

haha! i took my rear wiper off within the first 3 days of owning it! ahead of the fad!
Old May 26, 2009, 07:25 PM

Great video man. I felt like i was on some sort of Adventure or embarking on a Wild West wagon ride with that music. That was cool to see how aerodynamic the evo. I had always wondered whether or not the Vortex generator actually did anything but it sure does.
The VG/Wingless flows air better but i would also assume that there would obviously be less downforce without the wing.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
very nice info and video DB...Trent's part at the end was pretty damn funny.....Was that all taped with the Go Pro mini camera?? haha...

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing aerodynamic testing...of sorts.