Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What I don't get from my EVO....camaraderie

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in socal its almost a nightly thing. meet at the top of any mountain around midnight, and go on 5-10 car runs, all super safe with only people who know the roads and aren't retarded or drive like its there first time... cant do it in the day tho, daytime traffic cant stay in there lane to save their lives
Old May 29, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

the other thing I DETEST is poker runs...why would I purposely get on a parade route with 50 cars jammed packed doing 30mph for an entire day?
Old May 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Find a local car club. In the chicagoland area we have www.mwir.net . We try to have meet & greets and get togethers pretty often, and I've met some of my good friends there.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Would love to find one for here that did more than show and shine stuff...I'll keep looking.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:48 PM

Most all of the guys that I hang out with (outside of my friends from work) are Evo or Sti owners. I met all of them through the interweb and local car meets, then we just started kickin it and drinking beer / working on our cars together.

I too ride bikes, but quiet regularly the guys who own evo's here get together and we shoot up to the mountains. 3 hours of twisties and then some lunch, can't beat it. Occasionally I have gone to a car meet IN the mountains and we caravan up there.

So either your looking in the wrong places, or you live in the wrong area for it. I'm sure it took you ahwhile (just like it did for me) to build up your "riding buddies" it takes just as long if not longer in the Evo.

Not everyone has a set of bucket seats and R compounds to go zipping around in the Mountains. Any modern day crotch rocket can attack the twisties. It does take a certain kind of Evo (and evo driver) to take his car to the twisties for real.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
mini evo, that sounds phenomenal...some good roads in germany I hear.
YES THERE IS!!! the autobahn (highway) is just as NOT straight as the backroads! lol But alot of it is taking the GPS and setting it so it doesn't take you on the autobahn.... unless you want the high speed thrill of pushing your car to 160+ MPH messing with all the high class douche's that will ride your bumper if you are going 10 MPH slower than them.....

One of my favorite past times is riding the slow lane at about 100 and waiting for one of those porsche boxster's or Caymen, new Audi TT's or any other thing for that matter that might give me a run! lol..... then BAM! run them down and mess with them for a few miles. Look over with a sh!tty grin and wave at the lady in the if there is one. The only car i have found that i didnt think was that worthy... was a Porsche GT2 Turbo.....
Old May 30, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

youve gotta get it to the track
Old May 30, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

I dunno I didn't exactly buy my car to be a part of some special group and honestly don't care for meets what so ever but whatever floats your boat.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, it's still a free country thank God.

Thanks for contributing!

Originally Posted by abdizzle
I dunno I didn't exactly buy my car to be a part of some special group and honestly don't care for meets what so ever but whatever floats your boat.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bster,

I totally feel ya! The group of guys I rode with were like family. It was the best of times just hopping on the bike, meeting up with the group and trying to get lost on back roads, and let me tell ya, WV has a lot of kick *** twisties.
If you're anything like me, auto X will not do it for ya. Speeds are too slow, you have to work the track and stand out on the asphalt in the blistering heat. The whole time I was thinking to myself.... Maaan, I could be out riding right now.
Another awesome thing about a bike is... when riding out on the back roads, if you get caught behind some slowpoke, it's 20x quicker and easier to safely get around them.

sigh....
Old May 31, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

I hear u....BTW, Wheeling, WV roads are to die for! Rt. 250 *drool*
Old May 31, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I grew up in Virginia (Bath County) and that place is full of twisties, so i grew up driving them. It kinda sucks cause I haven't had the pleasure of ripping throught the mountains with the Evo there yet, but when I do I know I will have a smile on my face most of the day afterwards. Luckily I do live in Washington state and there are some nice twisties around, and we have quite a few local evo/sti gatherings to take mini caravans, but the cops here are out for blood when anyone doesn't drive a V8 or hybrid...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

I think the mentality between riders and car enthusiasts is quite different. I have noticed the exact same thing as you: the motorcycling community enjoys the in-motion part of the meets, whereas car meets are all about park, show off the car, talk, and, sometimes, drag racing. All of the bike meets I went to were leading to a group ride of some sort. All car meets have been park and talk/eat. Plus, bikes are pretty much purpose-built for the twisties while cars can be built for many purposes (drag, track, autoX, show, stereo, biggest wing competition, etc.), so finding people of similar interests is a bit more difficult.

Some of it has already been mentioned, but bikes are so performance-oriented from the factory, you don't need much to keep up with the rest of the group. Bikes are 90% rider/10% bike while cars are the reverse. I always saw the bike as a "get out there and ride thing," but the cars have often been project cars with incremental improvements as well and getting them out to drive.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the reason alot of my friends and I don't do it is because, out here (where it's $1000 fine for not using your turn signal), we'd be thrown in prison for driving like that, whereas bikes can pretty much just about get away with anything. I'm not trying to sound bitter or anything, but it's like why a Harley can fly by with a screaming loud exhaust and I'm the one getting the ticket for exhaust that's a little bit louder than stock.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I hear you...I road touring bikes and sport-touring bikes on the streets...and we got hassled all the times for exhausts, but u never see cars pulled over in the NYC area for that in mass...I guess it's a "Grass is greener on the other side" kinda thing.