Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What I don't get from my EVO....camaraderie

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I don't get from my EVO....camaraderie

So I used to ride motorcycles...lots of them...all over the country on touring motorcycles, sport bikes, and track only bikes. They were the end all, be all for me and my definition of fun. I got the adrenaline pump, the competitiveness at the road courses, the sightseeing from riding them around the US, and comraderie from meeting all the great people from these experiences.

I get all of these things from the EVO except for the camaraderie. I miss that, big time. Sure I could go to the local car meetup where all the EVOs or just sports cars show up at the Dunken Donuts and kick the tires (then tear off to the highway to do roll-ons and run from the cops at 3am )....sure I could pay to enter the big car show after washin' and waxin' my ride, but I have yet to experience the:

"Hey, we're meeting here at 7am and going for a ride in the twisties (not hooligan stuff in the straights, just cornering to the best of your ability in the corners while staying in your lane) , 5 cars or less, then lunch at a diner, and home through more backroads, wanna come?"

I miss that....like you wouldn't believe. To me it's the perfect combo/balance of "fun pushing your car at a sane pace" you'd get at an HPDE (almost) with the "hey man, what's your name? U like cars? Me too" you'd get at a full on car show. And it doesn't even have to be only evos, I would love it if an S2k, STI, M3 showed, it'd be cheap fun!

So if there are these types of events getting organized on EVOM, or even a generic sports car forum, I wanna know about it, because I miss it horribly since my accident on the bike. The EVO gives me most of what I am looking for, I just want that extra special last part back!
Old May 29, 2009, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

You sir, need a track day (AutoX RR) and/or friends that can drive not silly street racers.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

That's a pretty good point. Bike and car enthusiasts, while sharing some similarities, are different in many respects also. I think one of the main reasons is because there are more classes of car enthusiasts, so finding your niche with car lovers can be a little more difficult.

It also depends a lot on where you live. For instance, in Atlanta, there are Evo, Subaru, S2K, Nissan, Mazda, etc. clubs where you can find a lot in common with people who share like interests (although there are plenty of nut jobs who get everyone in trouble).

But yeah, there's nothing like getting up early on a Saturday, meeting up at Crack'Donalds, taking a short hop up to the mountains, and playing in the twisties all afternoon...
Old May 29, 2009, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

16vTAWD brought up a good suggestion. AutoX is an extremely fun event where all types of cars (and people) show up because they all have the same things in common. Not sure if you've done one or not, but that's def. something you should try. It's a blast.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

I guess AutoX might be an alternativde I should give a shot...I've built up my car to go to HPDE's, but now that I look at the cost vs. tracking my motorcycles in the past I'm like "is it really worth 500+ dollars for a day vs. $250 for the bike?" Plus this is my DD, vs. the bike being expendable...

AutoX is certainly cheaper, and I'm sure I'd get that same in the pits chatting I enjoy, but going through cones against the clock really doesn't excite me like an open road course with a car on ur butt and one you're trying to chase down. It's not a race, and neither is going through the twisties w/ friends, but u know what I mean.

Do 7am jaunts though the twisties really exist w/ cars like it does w/ motorcycles? To drive (ride) just to drive where your destination is not a car parking lot hang out, it's the twisties itself and scenery?
Old May 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Check the locale specific forums down at the bottom. The bama' group organizes drives on a fairly regular basis.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

I'm getting together with a friend to do a canyon run today... too bad your not in CO
Old May 29, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

haha...yeah too bad douche.

If I had my way I'd be living in Robbinsville, NC and screw organized rides...most likely my commute from work would be enough haha.

Old May 29, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

well, we'll see if this draws any attention:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...-twisties.html
Old May 29, 2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bster13
Do 7am jaunts though the twisties really exist w/ cars like it does w/ motorcycles? To drive (ride) just to drive where your destination is not a car parking lot hang out, it's the twisties itself and scenery?
You can't compare riding a motorcycle in the twisties with riding a car in the twisties. On the bike all the forces are perpendicular. You just don't get that in a car. While fun for a short while, I'd get tired.

I just finished the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway (didn't do the whole thing, just about 260mi worth) and at the end I thought just that......this would have been hell in the evo. Fun for the first hour or so but being thrown around in my seat (Recaros would help in that respect but not enough) for 6hrs to me wouldn't be worth it.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it's different, but I love them both and can do 600 mile days of twisties on either my old touring bikes or in the EVO, just love to drive. Driving on the highway for hours on end wears me out a lot quicker haha.

I avoid the BRP due to speed limitations and tend to take twisties roads that parallel it with less LEO attention, but beautiful scenery, that's for sure.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would rather preffure the twisties anyday over the straight line it doesnt take well some skill to drive straight i love the TOUGE
Old May 29, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

hey bustr13, I tell you what man. You pay the $3000ish to ship your EVO over to Germany and I am sure I can get all the Military Evo's and SRT's and any other kind of car (alog with German's) to go for a run around the "RING"! there is a lot of us that do it monthly and have a blast doing it.

Where I am stationed we have a little meet up every sunday with a lot of German's and American's then go for a little parade if you will, Around the back roads here. I was really surprised at some of the little German hoopty's at how well they do in the twisties.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

mini evo, that sounds phenomenal...some good roads in germany I hear.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Bster13 I feel the same way. Yeah autox and trackdays are going to show up on here and hillclimbs, tail of the dragon, etc. , but I'd love to get together with other sports cars or evo's to just cruise through local "fun" roads. What you don't get on the other organized events is that feeling of seeing everyone together cruising through the woods at an acceptably legal pace.

Granted there are more things to watch out for like animals, kids, potholes, etc but it's just a good time.

A similar thread was started on our local SCCA region's site and of course someone put up "Come to our RALLIES!!!" but in those cases you're either too preoccupied with following the route instructions, and on an scca rally if you see another car you know on the road chances are one of you is making a mistake. It's just not the same thing.