Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keeping up a Evo's Value..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well ill give this is try
i have an 03 ww with 50k miles

ill let it go for 30k or higher offer

thanks for looking
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

1st OP. I highly take offence to the implication that my wife and mother who've been out of work for a year or more are lazy and just can't find a job. They are both far from lazy and they are consistently looking. Not all american's are lazy (we're not even american). Your arrogance would be like me saying all the same things knowing I'm lucky to have a job that pays well. Hell my company for the first time ever has given no bonuses and pay raises as a precautionary measure.

Don't be pissed because you bought a car that is a "depreciating asset" and expect it to hold its resale value abnormally like the japanese super cars of yester year.

And turbo Supra's have never been below the 20k range until recently.

Its an Evo but its a Mitsubishi and quite frankly they don't have the best automotive reputation. Not like a Honda or Toyota.

No one is stopping you. Sell your car for more then its worth...you might find a sucker.

PS: Even for a job like working at Target they won't hire my wife because she is "over-qualified". You might want to think about what you type before you make a over generalized statement like that
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abdizzle
Evo's are no where near collectibles. There were close to 7K produced a year.

They will continue to depreciate just like any other car, stop living in fairy tale land.

A lot of banks won't even finance Supra's because they think they aren't worth more than 8 grand let alone the $20K owners ask for them.

There were approximately this many evos sold for the first three years. Sourced this info from dgoodhue Thanks and then verified through a friend thats mitsu parts manager.

2003 - 4,513
2004 - 4,161
2005 - 4,719

Then there approximately 8201 - Total exported Evolution IX to North America (USA) and I got these numbers from Wraythe Thanks also.

So that is about 18112 total evo viii and ixs and I have been recording how many have been total and unrepairable and its up to 2658 so that leaves us with 15454 left on the road and then there a couple of hundred or so that are not street legal anymore just like AMS and Buschurracing cars.

What makes a car is the availability of a car and how rare they become and the community that follows them. A volkswagon van is a rare vehicle but because of the community they have been known to still hold there value. Another thing that holds value is condition of the vehicle and mileage.

If we can keep from asking giveaway prices because where desperate for a few bucks then they hold there value pretty good. If you can of course its not worth loosing your home and family over.

These are numbers that I have looked up and recorded since I prepaid for my Evo in october 2002. Yes I prepaid for my Evo 5 months before I even saw it.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abdizzle
Evo's are no where near collectibles. There were close to 7K produced a year.

They will continue to depreciate just like any other car, stop living in fairy tale land.

A lot of banks won't even finance Supra's because they think they aren't worth more than 8 grand let alone the $20K owners ask for them.
Evos will be collectibles at the rate these enthusist are totaling them . I plan to hold on to mine until i see the prices stabilize as i know they will. At least for a couple of years. I still see dealers selling sti's & evo's (at a subaru dealer)around 25-29k and people buy them ,there just now starting to lower their prices.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

It didnt work for the Supra. Supra's held their values much greater for a few reasons. One being that many of them were stickered and sold off the lot for $50-$60k. 2nd is that only 12000 were shipped to the U.S. and ~8000 of them were TTs and of that ~4000 were 6speeds. They are very rare cars. Even the most comon color combo of the supra is still very limited.

Take a look at the current supra market now. The economy is killing sales for them HUGE. Because now banks really wont loan for them. For example a supra that 2-3 years ago would have sold for like $28k would be selling in the ball park of $22k. Even the really reall rare color low milage ones that in the past sold for an easy $55k are now making it into the high $30k range. People are stuck with there supras for months over months over years and so on trying to sell these days. It is esspecially tough on guys with automatics. I have seen some sell as low at $15k for TT autos.

All I can say for the Supra is the biggest thing that contributed to the price hike was the first FnF movie. All of a sudden the car got alot of attention compaired to prior. I know it is a lame reason for wanting the car but it is what it is.

Last edited by EMonz57; Jun 7, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newevil
Evos will be collectibles at the rate these enthusist are totaling them . I plan to hold on to mine until i see the prices stabilize as i know they will. At least for a couple of years. I still see dealers selling sti's & evo's (at a subaru dealer)around 25-29k and people buy them ,there just now starting to lower their prices.
I've seen local dealers list Evo's around $25,000 - $29,000 as well but they have been sitting on the lots for a while.

I guess in many ways in depends on the area you live in.

Here inthe Tri-State area (NY/NJ/CT) Evo's are pretty common, so potential buyers have a greater selection to choose from.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread hurts my head. That is not how Supras worked. Totally different car (and more expensive from the start).

Originally Posted by 6-speed
- Bottom line is that the market really dictates what your car is worth.
This.

You cannot tell people what a car should be sold for. The market will dictate the true number. Sure there are outliers of people who paid too much. But in the end, basic economic principles win.

I am selling my car for what its worth. I will not be jacking up the price to $20k to screw anyone.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by streetracerkam
See, this is the american society. its RETARDED.

Look for a different job, and dont give the BS that " Oh its hard to find a job" because it is not at all.

Soo many places are hiring. If your that desperate for a job, you will find one. But the american society, its just so damn lazy. No wonder why we are falling behind..
This also hurt my head. Philly (or a big city) cannot be compared to other areas in the US. Where I am in OH has a 15% unemployment rate. 15%!

And a job is not a job. Most employers are not looking to hire someone out of their field.

So much more to falling behind...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

well in order to keep up the value on my X that i just bought, I am making 100% certain I keep all service records and don't plan on doing any modifications beyond an HKS panel filter
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

No kidding. Yeah you can't just get a job anywhere you want. Even a **** place may not hire you since you're "over qualified" like an above posted stated since they know you don't give a **** about the place and will jump ship the second you find a real job again. Luckily my state has 2nd lowest unemployment (less than ~5%). I'm a software engineer and I know damn well it's only a matter of time before I'll be out of work since so many programming jobs are going overseas (last job wanted me to train 'low cost development center' aka 'replacements' in Romania even though I only had 2 years experience...).
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blast83
No kidding. Yeah you can't just get a job anywhere you want. Even a **** place may not hire you since you're "over qualified" like an above posted stated since they know you don't give a **** about the place and will jump ship the second you find a real job again. Luckily my state has 2nd lowest unemployment (less than ~5%). I'm a software engineer and I know damn well it's only a matter of time before I'll be out of work since so many programming jobs are going overseas (last job wanted me to train 'low cost development center' aka 'replacements' in Romania even though I only had 2 years experience...).
I work in IT and trust me when I tell you that is the most maddening thing to watch. I'm a system admin but I'm afraid to go to any other field because I see more and more of an exodus of IT jobs going to India, Phillipines, etc).

Once my wife is done with school if she can get a decent job again I've seriously considered going to a tech school and learning how to work on cars professionally, possibly open up my own shop.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
couple things i want to say. every state is different. Down here where i live a evo will hold its value pretty high But the problem is down here people know what a evo is but the demand for them is not high due to the fact we dont get enough of them. our dealership got 9 evos from 2003-2006 thats all only one of them was a evo 9. NO mr editions. those were sold wrecked outsource then they got one used silver evo off ebay for 24k had alot of mods and sold it for 28k after that no evos till 2008. I had to get mine out of state. They got only 3 evo X(all RR) and 1 Silver MR. Sold the gsr out of state for msrp + dealer add ons but the silver mr listed at 47000 before TTL has been sitting on the lot since they got it 9+ months they ended up selling it to another dealership at a loss for 30k just to get rid of it.

Now if you can buy a evo x mr for 30k with all options down here that does not get evos like some places that have evos as plentiful as ohio or cali what do you think ours 8 or 9 are going to be worth now. Evos now are just priced to sell to get it off your/dealerships hands and this economy aids in lowballing not to mention banks are not really giving out loans like they used to and not for high dollar amounts which aids in how we as a whole price cars. A car has to be priced to sale if you ever want to get rid of if now. IF you have a family its your responsiblity to take care of them. You dont choose a car over them if you have to sell it for a total loss just for the money thats what your going to do. im not going homeless or not eating etc for a car. it will vanish quickly. NOW if young kids adults call it what you want keep wrecking evos then eventually the price will rise natually because they will be hard to get until then natural depresiation on top of folks having to sell theres for a loss for what ever reason applies.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

But your missing the point.
WE CREATE THE MARKET VALUE.

They are suppliers, we are consumers. What we pay is what the market value becomes.
This is the point.

As with the overqualifying thing..
This is where you have to cheat the system.

If you can't find a job, you make a job
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we create it to a certain extent its actually

customer
Banks
Jobs
economy as a whole

That creates the value. if you cant get a loan for it means price is too high or not good enough credit or bank just does not want to loan that much out. IF you dont have a job means your not buying anything or have to sell whatever to get by(cars tvs collectiables etc). If you dont make enough at your job means you cant afford it so you will naturally look for something cheaper. So if there is a cheaper evo availble that matches your price bracket whether issues or not you will choose that one. Due to all those factors that will determine your price. some start out high but due the above have to adjust there prices. its the way it is and the way it will stay until the economy rights itself
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Our economy is rising. People are being blind and not seeing it however, but its greatly getting up on its feet.

I have seen these " economy techs" on the news speaking about it and saying that studies have show that by 2010 the U.S. should be back up on its feet mostly, and by 2011 DEFFINETLY fully back up and booming.

But theres still those crying and complaining, OUR ECONOMY IS HORRIBLE BLAH BLAH I HAVE TO SELL EVERYTHING CHEAP BLAH BLAH , and keeping it down..

People have to stop complaining, and play the hand they are dealt. But face it, this is the U.S. We are built off of people just like that.

What a shame, what this country has turned into.
A world power, beggining to decrease..
Pathetic.

Its only years before Chinese and Japanese Markets dominate the world though..
at the rate they are growing, and with China with 1.5 BILLION ++ people..and employed..working hard.

Meanwhile Japan and all the technology, taking over it..

Shame.

Quick Reply: Keeping up a Evo's Value..