Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keeping up a Evo's Value..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping up a Evo's Value..

So this may be a stupid idea, but in the past has worked. Especially with Supras..

Evo's have been dropping. Why? Economy, sure, but its the people fault. They give low prices on their cars to sell them, which downgrades the rest of us.

My thought is, that if people began to raise the prices of their Evo's, this would only lead to a higher value.

Its been done in the past, it can be done again.

VIII's and IX's are Collectible high-performance cars, and they can maintain high value if we keep it at that.

Dealerships look at the value of the car before selling it in places like these..
They see what people want for them, they add their higher rates to it whatever, and sell it.

If people began to post their cars up, like the IX's in the high 20's... 26 27 28 29 30...
and VIII's in 21,22,23,24,25 etc..

Price, over a few months, would naturally rise.

Am I right or what?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, you're wrong see, the problem is the X are dropping in prices like a big rock. In turn, that makes people wonder why they should spend more on a 9 (I've seen that happened, I paid more for my 9 MR than the X were selling for at that time) but that's because I know that I want a 9 and it has certain advantages over the X. Anyhow, new owners though would look at things at say they'd rather pay $30k for a new X or new STi.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
economy does not support the ability to "increase" the value of anything.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously they would be morons.
Plus, most people come on forums like this and look at all the info about the car before hand..
Obviously, its proven the IX is better than a X..
Therefore a better value.

Just because its newer doesnt mean anything.

Also, why is it so then that 1995-2002 Skylines are worth so much more than the 2003-2006 skylines?

Sure, different chassis, different engine, but none the less it carries the name " skyline"?

Our economy is the way it is because morons like some of those who price their car so low caused it.

They made others suffer..

Its your thinking that causes this guys. Seriously, start getting real. Value can be pulled up way high.

Why is it so that the value's of supras are high, when in 2001 and 2002, before the Fast and furious movies and so forth, that I could have picked up a TT 93 for about 10 grand whereas now I have to dish out 25? Sure, it was worth about 40 when it first came out, it dropped.. but then because of enthusiasts and smart logic, the value was pulled up again.

And dont get started on the KBB, because obviously thats moronic. They are pricing 97 turbo supras at like 25,000 whereas on Ebay they are going for 40+?

Last edited by streetracerkam; Jun 7, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
no, you're wrong see, the problem is the X are dropping in prices like a big rock. In turn, that makes people wonder why they should spend more on a 9 (I've seen that happened, I paid more for my 9 MR than the X were selling for at that time) but that's because I know that I want a 9 and it has certain advantages over the X. Anyhow, new owners though would look at things at say they'd rather pay $30k for a new X or new STi.
I hear ya Alvin. When i was selling my IX a guy wanted to look at it and told me his max was 26k for a car. He ended up getting a new STi instead

I told him GL with that
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you seen the number of enthusiasts versus non-enthusiast? The new cars are made to appeal to the "non-enthusiasts" as well so they can sell more vehicles - Mitsubishi is loosing hundreds of millions every year in the US. They need to sell more Evos - non-enthusiasts just wants the newest things - they can careless about the rest,
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Oh - So a bunch of people who got in over their heads should hold out on selling their evo's for a couple grand more and lose their house so that the value of yours doesnt fall.

Good call.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

See, this is the american society. its RETARDED.

Look for a different job, and dont give the BS that " Oh its hard to find a job" because it is not at all.

Soo many places are hiring. If your that desperate for a job, you will find one. But the american society, its just so damn lazy. No wonder why we are falling behind..
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Evo's are no where near collectibles. There were close to 7K produced a year.

They will continue to depreciate just like any other car, stop living in fairy tale land.

A lot of banks won't even finance Supra's because they think they aren't worth more than 8 grand let alone the $20K owners ask for them.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Actually - Good jobs are hard to find. If you want to work at wally world or JIB or McDonald. Sure.

You will devote your ENTIRE monthly income to your car payment.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Good jobs are a Dime a Dozen.
They're everywhere.

People just need to stop looking in their *** for one, and just wake up and search.

Theirs stupid little things YOU can do yourself and make money.
This may be stupid, but Im a heavy cellphone reseller. Started Freshman year in HS, by buying phones from kdis who got new ones, for dirt cheap. Not once did anyone ask market value for their phone, as they were all reatrded.
Id buyt hem for 5-10-20 bucks and have them sell on ebay the next day for 100+..

Did that for 2 years..
Bought an Evo..

Actually, 2 years later I bought a 350z, then got a 335i, now a Evo.. its been a little over 3 years, but still, haha.

Last edited by streetracerkam; Jun 7, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

bro if jobs were that easy to find then the unemployment rate would not be as high as it is now. the US is in a bad state now and most people have families to think of and if selling their car for cheaper than its worth is what they have to do well no offence man but i'm sure if you were ever in that situation you wouldnt me a "moron" as you are calling most people and choose a car over your responsibilites
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abdizzle
Evo's are no where near collectibles. There were close to 7K produced a year.

They will continue to depreciate just like any other car, stop living in fairy tale land.

A lot of banks won't even finance Supra's because they think they aren't worth more than 8 grand let alone the $20K owners ask for them.
- You make the best point I've heard so far.

Not everybody has $25,000+ in cash set aside for a car, which means most people will have to finance.

Anybody with good credit can go to a bank and get a loan for a used Evo VIII and IX whereas a car like a Supra being 11-16 years old cannot be readily financed.

I can't think of any big bank that will finance a car that old.

- There are companies like Hagerty and JJ Best that finance older collectible cars but now they are becoming very very strict on loans; you have to have a great financial background to get the loan.

- The Skyline is another animal altogether and would fetch a higher than normal price just for the fact that there are so few legal ones you can purchase.

- My Evo (05 RR SSL with just under 12,000 miles which had all the BR Stage 4 stuff + AEM EMS) was listed for sale at $26,000 and all the offers I had were around $20,000 - $22,000.

I listed the car on 2/16/09 and the car sold on 5/16/09 at a price somewhere around $22,500 (mind you I sold the Volks to another buyer at $1,500) which means I sold for around $24,000.

3 months for a super-clean low mileage Evo.

- Bottom line is that the market really dictates what your car is worth.

- Basically, it's a good time to buy a car but a bad time to sell.

Last edited by 6-speed; Jun 7, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

good time to buy and bad time to sell

thats how i picked up an 05 SSL for 19..with 6K in mods. and only 50K on the clock.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 05:18 PM

if you bought this car for investment purposes then that's your mistake, there are too many floating around to be collectible right now...lock it up for 30 years and pull it out, then you might have something.

supply is high
demand is low

I don't make the rules

Quick Reply: Keeping up a Evo's Value..