Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

i got screwed by insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwanza
-In CA they have to notify you, and based on your post, in which they could not locate the certified letters indicate to me that they screwed up. I don't know what the insurance code regs are in your state, but you should look them up.

Since your lienholder never got a certified letter, and you never did either, sounds like you have a "bad faith" claim. I would look for an attorney which will take the case based on a percentage of settlement, so you don't have to pay for the attorney out of pocke. He will only take a cut of the settlement, when the settlement is reached and paid in full. Bad faith claims in CA allow punitive damages, which are designed to cost the insurer mucho bucks for treating their customers badly. State laws can vary, but I have found most states have similar laws. Do not sign any releases, or agree to anything until you are satisfied.

Also, you can report them to the department of insurance in your state.
I will be calling a lawyer tomorrow, and i already have a claim # with the department of insurance. Thanks for the info on the Bad Faith Claim i am also gonna look into this to
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

No problemo.

Remember substantiating your claim will be necessary. Call your lienholder and get it in writing that they were never notified about the drop in collision coverage, or at least get a verbal confirmation and write down the name of the person you spoke with at the lienholder, the date and time. Good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

you were driving around for 4yrs with liability and tried to make a claim for hail damage in march of this year thinking you had full coverage? did they send you declaration page every time you renewed? it outlines your coverage.

Last edited by billyblonco; Jun 10, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kwanza
No problemo.

Remember substantiating your claim will be necessary. Call your lienholder and get it in writing that they were never notified about the drop in collision coverage, or at least get a verbal confirmation and write down the name of the person you spoke with at the lienholder, the date and time. Good luck.
I already got a verbal from them ill call tomorrow to see if they can send me something

Originally Posted by billyblonco
you were driving around for 4yrs with liability and tried to make a claim for hail damage in march of this year thinking you had full coverage? did they send you declaration page every time you renewed? it outlines your coverage.
yes i was thinking i had full coverage and i never looked at the dec page because my payment was the same as my quote for the full coverage. do to them raising the rate 2 weeks after dropping my full coverage
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

It seems like the insurance company is willing to reinstate your full insurance, since the mistake.

The problem seems like your not willing to pay for the coverage since it was dropped and you only want pay for you insurance coverage when you needed it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way you state that it seems almost like you imply he isn't being honest. I think its more of an expectation set incorrectly thing. Had he known his coverages had changed then swalling an extra 500-150 bux a month more is easier then a few years accumulation's worth of those charges...esp. when it seems the insurnace company did it sneaky.

I know he could've read his declarations page but like I said earlier....I'm guilty of not reading those either.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Simple solution is to collect all your paperwork get it in order visit a lawyer. He will tell you where you stand and if you have a legit case.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
The way you state that it seems almost like you imply he isn't being honest.

Had he known his coverages had changed then swalling an extra 500-150 bux a month more is easier then a few years accumulation's worth of those charges...esp. when it seems the insurnace company did it sneaky.
I am not saying he isn't being honest and I can understand how four years of coverage would be overwhelming. The insurance company isn't trying to sneaky lower someone rates. They calculate risk and trust me they are on average making more money by having someone carry collision coverage.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9evolution
Simple solution is to collect all your paperwork get it in order visit a lawyer. He will tell you where you stand and if you have a legit case.
It's waste of time to contact a laywer. If he wants coverage he has to pay for it or not conviently pay for coverage when he needs it. You don't get free coverage because of mistake 4 years ago and of which they have sent atleast 7 statements (not in dispute). Ignorenace is not a defense.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
The insurance company isn't trying to sneaky lower someone rates.

No what was sneaky was the the fact they raised my rates 1-2 weeks after dropping my coverage and there was about a $40 difference between the 2. So since i pay every other month on a 6 month policy that would be $13.34 cheaper on each payment.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, how can they drop your full coverage to liability without your consent? That's illegal unless you told them to and forgot that you did. Is your Evo all paid for? If it's not, they can't drop it to liability. Unless your state is diff than WI. I had an accident a month back. Got est to about $5100 and I got a check for $4000. I thought that was bad. Good thing it wasn't my fault. Now my Evo is sitting without two damn doors I bought from here but it's not here yet. It's been almost 3 weeks. Being shipped by Greyhound. Damn Greyhound is S L O W

Last edited by EvolNinja; Jun 11, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
Dude, how can they drop your full coverage to liability without your consent man. That's illegal unless you told them to and forgot that you did. Is your Evo all paid for? If it's not, they can't drop it to liability. I had an accident a month back. Got est to about $5100 and I got a check for $4000. I thought that was bad. Good thing it wasn't my fault. Now my Evo is sitting without two damn doors I bought from here but it's not here yet. It's been almost 3 weeks. Being shipped by Greyhound. Damn Greyhound is S L O W

I never asked them to drop the coverage (i still owed 25k back in june of 05) As far as my fiance company they said they dont care because its in the contract that i signed stating that if i dont maintain the full coverage and something happens to the car i am still responsible to pay the remainder of the loan
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
It's waste of time to contact a laywer. If he wants coverage he has to pay for it or not conviently pay for coverage when he needs it. You don't get free coverage because of mistake 4 years ago and of which they have sent atleast 7 statements (not in dispute). Ignorenace is not a defense.
I completely agree with your statement. Fact is if he has a legitimate grievance or he is fully responsible for his own situation the lawyer would be completely honest with him. One of these two parties are responsible for this. Either the Insurance or the client. I am leaning towards the client being guilty here. Hope I'm wrong, it sucks to have to deal with problems especially one's you create for yourself.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9evolution
I completely agree with your statement. Fact is if he has a legitimate grievance or he is fully responsible for his own situation the lawyer would be completely honest with him. One of these two parties are responsible for this. Either the Insurance or the client. I am leaning towards the client being guilty here. Hope I'm wrong, it sucks to have to deal with problems especially one's you create for yourself.

How am i at fault because i didn't read over my dec page at the renewals? Cause the 1st dec page sent to me had the full coverage on it when i started the policy then they dropped coverage and raised the rates for the next one like i stated before i would have only noticed a $13 difference in my bi-monthly payment
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercharged
How am i at fault because i didn't read over my dec page at the renewals? Cause the 1st declarations page sent to me had the full coverage on it when i started the policy then they dropped coverage and raised the rates for the next one like i stated before i would have only noticed a $13 difference in my bi-monthly payment
Much as I hate to admit it....yeah you kinda are. Like I said I'm guilty of not reading the declarations form when my insurance renews. I've been with progressive for over 10 years so I would never think about looking at it.

If they changed my coverage I would expect to see some sort of correspondence beyond the declarations page.

Actually I don't think Progressive would do something that stupid...they would hike my premiums up...I would call and freak and they would explain to me that my premiums raised and here's why.

You may have said this already but why did your preiums raise? Did they discover something on your driving record that wasn't disclosed when you first started the policy up (like a forgotten speeding ticket or moving violation).

Quick Reply: i got screwed by insurance