Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it's been really hard to be subjective on this entire Evolution Imports issue. Adam is a great guy, and he really sounds like he knows what he's doing. But he can't really be subjective because, well, he's selling the cars! Sorry man, but a car salesman's a car salesman! Then there's been a number of people on the forum that seem incredibly knowledgable about importing cars (I'm not going to name names, but check out this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=10091), and they seem to offer a huge list of reasons as to why the EI Evo's aren't legal, but they're discussions always wind down into, "EI is just stoopid! Just buy an Evo 8. You won't use that ACD crap anyway.... don't be stoooopid!" So the temptatioin to believe them go's out the window. Then there are those who've actually bought and receieved their cars. But as stated earlier, they've been keeping mostly quiet. Can't say as I blame them, but it doesn't help our cause. Most probably don't know much about the import process anyway. No reason to. Give them money, get car, drive around, what more do you want?

The only ones in a non-biased position to verify, once and for all, the legitimacy of these cars, is the Federal Government. But two problems. 1: I can never find a phone number to find out where to get my driver's license in my own town, much less find the National Department in Charge of Third-Party Imported Vehicles Customer Service line....yeah, right! Problem 2: If for some reason these cars aren't 100% certified street legal by the federal government, I don't want to draw the governments attention to the matter, and have several people's cars confiscated because of this! Talk about not being able to sleep at night! As I said earlier, I don't think the Feds will take notice of these cars on the roads, since they've got more important things to deal with (unless they're IRAQI Evo's? oooh.....)

So if anyone has ANY ideas as to where we can find the necessary info to verify if the Evolution Imports Evo 7's are certified for street use by the Federal Government, please speak up! There is a lot of interest in these cars, but $40k is a big risk, especially now that the Evo 8's are here.

But if they are 100%, Evo 7 here I come!
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

By the way, would it be possible to sticky this thread, so we can get everybody's attention on this?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:58 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Evolution Imports Selling Used Cars

I just talked to Adam from Evolution Imports the other day and he mentioned they're selling used cars now and they have a few available. Here's the info he gave me:

Charcaol Evo VII GSR
Titanium Turbo and HID's 17,398 Miles.
Price $31,500

Yellow Evo VII GSR
HID's Milage: 7500 Miles
Price $33,200

Silver Evo VII GSR
HID's: Milage 14988
Price $31,700

Blue Evo VII GSR
HID's: Milage 13500
Price $31,700

Just thought those of you wanting JDM spec for closer to US Evo pricing would be intersted.

Mark
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Curious if those are going to be converted into US legality, because I know they made it a point to mention that they would not do GSR's.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:29 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

These cars are all supposed to be converted to LHD and US legal just like the RS2 models they are doing. The conversion, etc is all included in those prices from what he told me, but it's best to call him up and get the details.

Mark
Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Evolution Imports Selling Used Cars

wonder if they can be talked down?

Also wonder if they come with a warranty?

Originally posted by KK
I just talked to Adam from Evolution Imports the other day and he mentioned they're selling used cars now and they have a few available. Here's the info he gave me:

Charcaol Evo VII GSR
Price $31,500

Yellow Evo VII GSR
HID's Milage: 7500 Miles
Price $33,200

Silver Evo VII GSR
HID's: Milage 14988
Price $31,700

Blue Evo VII GSR
HID's: Milage 13500
Price $31,700

Just thought those of you wanting JDM spec for closer to US Evo pricing would be intersted.

Mark
Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Evolution Imports Selling Used Cars

Originally posted by KK

Charcaol Evo VII GSR
Price $31,500

Mark
CHARCAOL!!!!! That's the colour of all colours for the Evo! I want it, I want it, I want it!!!
Old Jan 22, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I've got a better question. I wonder if they come with a mechanic to work on the electronic gadgets. God forbid you take it to some local mechanic and cross your fingers.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:47 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I don't think there's much maintenance for things like AYC/ACD... just fluid changes. If they crap out, you'd probably have to replace the unit vs. repairing it from what I hear.

The charcoal color Evo is very sweet I wish the they kept that color for the Evo VIII.

Mark
Old Jan 24, 2003, 01:19 AM

WOW!!! man if you gunna have to pay a 3k markup you minus will get a JDM Evo II for those prices!
Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by KK
These cars are all supposed to be converted to LHD and US legal just like the RS2 models they are doing. The conversion, etc is all included in those prices from what he told me, but it's best to call him up and get the details.

Mark
I'm certain they'll be as illegal for street use as the RS-II cars they've already sold. There is no "conversion" being done to these cars. They're imported as off-road or competion vehicles and can't legally be "converted" to street use.

This document explains the NHTSA's process:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/..._01072003.html

This document has an up-to-date list of all car models that NHTSA has approved for importation as street vehicles:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG012703.html

Notice that there is no Mitsubishi Lancer on the list.

I'm baffled about why you would continue to aid and abet Evolution Import's fraud.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Seņor Info
I'm certain they'll be as illegal for street use as the RS-II cars they've already sold. There is no "conversion" being done to these cars. They're imported as off-road or competion vehicles and can't legally be "converted" to street use.

This document explains the NHTSA's process:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/..._01072003.html

This document has an up-to-date list of all car models that NHTSA has approved for importation as street vehicles:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG012703.html

Notice that there is no Mitsubishi Lancer on the list.

I'm baffled about why you would continue to aid and abet Evolution Import's fraud.
i wonder what EI's responce to this is?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

i wonder what EI's responce to this is?
For some odd reason they are very hush hush. Even their customers have no idea what process went on to legalize them. We have been waiting to hear some type of response form EI for months and months..but never do. I don't really care..I was just a little curious before..now I could care less. If someone wants to shell out money to them..that's their business and a risk their willing to take I guess.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Evolution Imports Selling Used Cars

Originally posted by MEGABUSA
wonder if they can be talked down?

Also wonder if they come with a warranty?

anyone find out if they can be talked down??
Old Jan 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

so they arent legal...

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]