Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2002, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the ppl who have done business with Evolution Imports let us know their experience? Has anyone actualy received their cars yet? Please let me know since I am very interested in buying one but I just don't have the comfort level to do business with EI.

Thanks.

Sherman
Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

is the end of june now......
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:40 AM

thread...dead

See the thread: "$30,000 for TME Evo 6.5..."
There is follow up on all the EI cars, dealings, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

latest news as of June 26th:

cars are supposed to dock on the 6th of July (a week from now), barring any port strike (who knows with the dockers damn it !!) and will take at the most a week to clear customs. So around the 12th, they'll be at the conversion shop.

Pics will come then. Stay tuned.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WRC4ever
latest news as of June 26th:

cars are supposed to dock on the 6th of July (a week from now), barring any port strike (who knows with the dockers damn it !!) and will take at the most a week to clear customs. So around the 12th, they'll be at the conversion shop.

Pics will come then. Stay tuned.
MY BIRTHDAY!!
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:38 PM

Question Why not just buy an Import?

With all the uncertanty about BHP and price, what is stopping people just buying the Left hand drive import for about $35k. You know it has 280 bhp and all the nice extra's like active Yaw control and the Recaro seats. I am coming over from England, where importing cars from japan is common place, i would love to get an Evo7/8 but i will need a car before December this year, more like September. So providing i got the 3 year extended warrenty and i will be living in LA, what are the down sides going to be?

Last edited by churchwa; Jul 28, 2002 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

It's 36.5K with the import fees, and that's "the special" right now. Insurance will be extremely high on this car since it was imported and is not a production car (insurance is the law here in Illinois, you must have it .... depending on the car and you, let's say a regular car can cost $1000-2000 every 6 months to insure, and a sports car $2000 - $4000 every 6 months). But that's just one issue...
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:47 PM

Well i was reading that some comapnies just treat it as a $36.5k car because the don't have the spec on their system. Others give stupid quotes
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:49 PM

Parts availability and more importantly, service availability. If the U.S. spec Evo doesn't come with AYC, there are probably very few places in the whole country that one would be able to have their AYC serviced. If the AYC is the one thing that the JDM Evo has over the U.S. spec, I think it would end up being more of a liability than an asset in the long run. But hell, what do I know
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:49 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

State Farm should quote based on the price of the vehicle if they do not have it listed.

I can't really see the use of a warranty unless you will not modify a single component of the car, but the imported cars from EI actually come standard with a 1 year warranty or you could buy an optional 3 year.

Also, many dealers will be inflating the msrp of the US Evo, which will mostly likely have less hp, softer suspension, no Recaros, etc.

Mark
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:56 PM

Thats what i was thinking, if i want a true evo, then an import seems to be the way to go. These cars are not temprimental, they are japanise after all, this is one of the reasons they sell so well. And no i will not be modding the car in any way. I take the veiw they are balanced perfectly as they are and 0-60 in 4.4 really is fast enough. come on 360, i dare you.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by FoxVR6
Parts availability and more importantly, service availability. If the U.S. spec Evo doesn't come with AYC, there are probably very few places in the whole country that one would be able to have their AYC serviced. If the AYC is the one thing that the JDM Evo has over the U.S. spec, I think it would end up being more of a liability than an asset in the long run. But hell, what do I know
To my surprise, AYC is not that difficult to maintain. I talked to couple EVO owners and they pointed out that you can use tranny fluid to maintain it (can't remember all the details now). And you can always swap in a mechical LSD (from RS model or aftermarket ones) if that's such a big concern for you

As long as you have workshop manual, I assume you should have very little problem with maintaining an EVO. Jusy my opinion
Old Jul 26, 2002, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

I can't afford 40k for this car. After you get it with 3 year warentee and all it will probly come to around 40k. Besides it seems that the evo VIII will be pretty full strength minus the exhaust which I am replacing anyway. So why not get the US spec and spend 10k modifying it instead of paying for import surcharge?
Old Jul 26, 2002, 07:53 AM

Becaue if you think that an Evo 8 is really only going to cost 30k then i think you will have another thing coming. The dealers will mark it up and then there is tax etc. It will not be a 10k saving and the3 year warrenty will not cost 3.5k.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo8 in the US will be priced less than 30k(according to Mitsubishi) and you get a 3yr warranty to be serviced at any Mitsu dealership.

There are a bunch of dealerships selling it for MSRP.

If you can wait, getting the Evo8 with the 6 spd gearbox and likely new GDI engine is the much better choice. Besides, those $36k Evo7s arent even street-legal yet and there is no 100% chance they will be legalised either.

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]