Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at $45k for a EVO VII with essentiall no warranty (is EI really going to pay the claims if they lie about legalizing the car in the first place), and now being 1-2 years old, I doubt there will be more than a handfull of buyers.

I could see somone willing to pay $35k for a JDM Evo VIII with all the whistles.....but by the time EI legalizes anything Mitsu may have added all of that as options anyway.

I don't see EI being in business much longer. At least Motorex picked a car that still has not come to the USA....although I still cannot imagine paying $90k for a $45k skyline.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MEGABUSA
EI has no assets and could close shop within minutes. A lawyer isn't going to get any milk out of a dead cow.

It is funny that Senor Info seemed to have hit the nail on the head about this.? I do recall some buyers (gvr4v being one) standing up for EI and saying it would just be a week or so..... Now it appears they had to ship their cars back.

Well...hopefully the EVO VIII cleared the way for the EVO VII since the ****box Lancer is not enough like the Evo.
I have never backed up EI !!!! Yes, I am one the unlucky who purchased a EVO7 from EI. and I am the one only who will speak his mind about this to tell you all the truth. I am very pissed off right now, waiting a year for a car that has been paid for upfront. Call me stupid for doing it, but if EI did there job, we would already had our cars.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

I did talk to Adam well over a year ago about these, and he certainly sounded knowledgable and sincere.....just a little too risky..... Hopefully the new guy working on it gets you guys your cars within the year. (joke).

So they trucked your car all the way to alabama, then back to LA! that is another $2k.

At least it will put down more than 180hp to the wheels...

Originally posted by gvr4v

I have never backed up EI !!!! Yes, I am one the unlucky who purchased a EVO7 from EI. and I am the one only who will speak his mind about this to tell you all the truth. I am very pissed off right now, waiting a year for a car that has been paid for upfront. Call me stupid for doing it, but if EI did there job, we would already had our cars.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:59 PM

Ask Sean how long it took to get the GTR petitions approved after they finally got the thing published for comments in the first place.

You're not going to like the answer.

I'm wondering how G&K is in business as a Registered Importer, but they still need Sean to get this work done. Shouldn't they already know this stuff?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:56 PM

Skyline petition was published April 1999 . First release on a Skyline was November 15,1999 . The final approval was published Jan , 2000.

It takes time. Everything takes time. DOT , EPA approval is no a 2 week , 12 week process.... its a long process.

I started working on this project Jan 11, 2003. Anything before then - bring up with someone else.

As far as G & K is concerned. I know them from doing the Skyline EPA , and CARB testing. They have been in business a long time.

The Evo is just one of many projects they have now. The Evo is one of the "easy" projects. I mentioned to someone there that I liked the Evos - and since I was no longer working at MotoRex - we worked out a deal- and I started working on the project.

Evolution Imports business practices - sold cars - or otherwise has nothing to do with me , that you need to bring up direct.

I am working on the project - I finished the Skyline - I did the Skylines I set up the methods and practices to legalize the Skylines. When I started at MotoRex it was Hiro , and myself. I dont give up easy on this stuff. I have read the CFR's . I am fairly aware of the cars , laws , and regulations.

It takes time. If the US Evo hadn't had been released - it would have taken crash testing to get approval.

I can and I will not give you a time frame for it to be done. It will be done - when it is done. That deparment is out of my hand . Its in the governments hands.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Sean, any plan on bring the older EVOs to the states? Just curious
Old Mar 13, 2003, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Thats a really good question Lan Evo. Just thinking of someday legally driving a TME here
I guess I have all the time in the world as I gotta pay off these damn college loans first...but still, that would be great to have access to the whole line of Evos.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

after it is 25 years old, you can bring in whatever you want.

Originally posted by Lan Evo
Sean, any plan on bring the older EVOs to the states? Just curious
Old Mar 13, 2003, 09:29 AM

Sean (tyndago), it's cool that you're in the business and know what's going on- thanks for all the info!
I was wondering what all is involved in "legalizing" a JDM import?
I sorta understand that it's NHTSA crashworthiness stuff- but does that mean each vehicle gets modified so that it could pass the crash test?
Why is it so much money to do the process? Can't an importer just "sacrifice" a few cars to crash and call it good?
Why are MotoRex's cars so expensive? ... and more importantly, is it possible that EI's cars will cost much more when they are truly "legal"???

Thanks for any insight you can pass along...
Russ R
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:11 AM

Legalizing a non- conforming car..... the car needs to meet all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards . It also needs to meet all EPA standards. For California it must meet all California standards.

DOT involves things like FMVSS 101 - Controls and Displays - basically - the gage needs to read in miles per hour. Some other items - like the international brake symbol - must be changed to read "brake".

Anything that is safety related -lights - seat belts- door beams that is different or does not meet US standards must be changed to US legal parts.

This is only the one part. For EPA it must pass a FTP test. The Evo VII has most of the OBD -II system - but is missing a few major components that will have to be added. For California there is one extra step and it needs to go to a referre and get a B.A.R label.

Crash testing is not free . It actually depends on the test - and where you test but figure between $25,000 - $50,000 per test. Plus the cost of the car. So if you have to do 4 tests , 4 cars.... you start to get a lot of money into it. If you sell a 100 cars then you need to amortize your costs among 100 cars.

And then every car must be imported - modified - packages put together - sent out .

Its all time consuming and expensive. There are more specifics , but for now - thats the basics.

As far as the earlier model cars..... I looked into them.... I like the Evo 6 - Evo 6.5 .

Let me get this one done first....... after this one - if I have time. I may start to do some more serious research on other earlier models.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MEGABUSA
after it is 25 years old, you can bring in whatever you want.
Yeah, if any of them still survive

Originally posted by tyndago
As far as the earlier model cars..... I looked into them.... I like the Evo 6 - Evo 6.5 .

Let me get this one done first....... after this one - if I have time. I may start to do some more serious research on other earlier models.
Great, just remember, the EVO V, VI and TME are all on the same Chassis code (translate -> I want a friggin EVO V !!!!!)

Anyhow, keep us posted
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tyndago
Skyline petition was published April 1999 . First release on a Skyline was November 15,1999 . The final approval was published Jan , 2000.

It takes time. Everything takes time. DOT , EPA approval is no a 2 week , 12 week process.... its a long process.

I started working on this project Jan 11, 2003. Anything before then - bring up with someone else.

As far as G & K is concerned. I know them from doing the Skyline EPA , and CARB testing. They have been in business a long time.

The Evo is just one of many projects they have now. The Evo is one of the "easy" projects. I mentioned to someone there that I liked the Evos - and since I was no longer working at MotoRex - we worked out a deal- and I started working on the project.

Evolution Imports business practices - sold cars - or otherwise has nothing to do with me , that you need to bring up direct.

I am working on the project - I finished the Skyline - I did the Skylines I set up the methods and practices to legalize the Skylines. When I started at MotoRex it was Hiro , and myself. I dont give up easy on this stuff. I have read the CFR's . I am fairly aware of the cars , laws , and regulations.

It takes time. If the US Evo hadn't had been released - it would have taken crash testing to get approval.

I can and I will not give you a time frame for it to be done. It will be done - when it is done. That deparment is out of my hand . Its in the governments hands.
Very interesting.

Since the Skyline petition was submitted by J.K. Motors in Baltimore, I presume they were the RI which performed (at least) the first Skyline conversion, since NHTSA prohibits RIs from contracting out any conversion work. Did you work for J.K. Motors? If not, then this must be your very first "substantially similar" petition, since Motorex has never submitted any.

You said earlier: "I split the VII and VIII up ... ." I presume that means you have filed two separate petitions. Is that correct?

I presume that you did not have physical access to an actual US Evolution, since they only began ariving at dealerships this month. So I guess that means, according to Registered Importer Newsletter No. 3, that your petition can't claim you have compared vehicles. I can't recall reading a petition predicated on "substantial similarity" that did not make that claim. Did you really rely exclusively on sales brochures and press information for the US Evolution as the basis for comparison? I wonder how well that will fly at NHTSA. One thing you can learn from the US brochures is that the US Evolution has a different capacity fuel tank (53L) than the one on the Evolution VII (48L). I'll be especially curious to see how your petition handles that difference, since that is essentially what shot down the petition for the 1999-2000 Porshce GT3.

It's good to see you're confident and consider this Evolution VII petition business "easy." I'm eagerly awaiting the Federal Register announcement.

Last edited by Seņor Info; Mar 13, 2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Senior Info,

it seems to me like you are drastically opposed to the VII being legal. Every single post you have made regarding this issue has had some sort of a negative tone.
Are you holding some sort of grudge ? Do you have some sort of personal/business issue that will make you NOT want to see those cars legal? It sure looks that way.

Thoughts from other people on this ?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

It's sad, but from day one, I knew that something wasn't right with this company... Senior Info, if you don't start producing results, then people are gonna start gettin reaally pissed off...
Old Mar 13, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

it just seems to me like he has had experience with this before and doesn't trust NHSTA or DOT. Not that he doesn't want it to come over ... is seems more like he's just concerned about it being 100% legal. He knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]