Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AlieNate
Hailz!
Tyndago... thank you for your posts. please keep us informed as the process moves forward. I am very interested in all the Good things and the Bad things that occur as you move through this difficult process towards your final goal: Legalized importation and ownership rights of JDM EVO VIIIs, and, I assume JDM EVO VIIs in the USA.
Sorry, but JDM EVO VIIs are out of the question, given that they're RH drive. This discussion revolves about LHD Euro EVO VIIs.

And Beldrueger, to partially answer your questions: I lived for two years in Germany, begining in 1997, while my SO was on assignment there. I began to investigate the possibilities of bringing back an exotic (Porsche GT3, Ferrari F40, etc.). Something that was rare in the US. I concluded it was not practicable (for me), and bought a used 993 when I returned. I did, however, follow the GT3 petition closely. It, obviously, was well-financed and had the assistance of a Porsche GT3 broker in Germany who had access to the worldwide Porsche parts database. In the end, however, even that advantage was insufficient to win an approval from Luke Loy, mainly due to the descrepancy (i.e. lack of US certification) of the fuel tank.

I suspect the petition for the EVO VII is an order of magnitude inferior to the GT3's, although I have not yet read it. I hold little hope for its approval.

Last edited by Seņor Info; Mar 14, 2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

I got a question...why does EI want you to convert the evo to LHD....is RHD illegal or somethin here in the U.S. because I know some people who drive on the right hand side, and they dont get in trouble.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

umm....they come LHD.....no conversion needed for that.

These are cars that were made for Europe (i think), not Japan.

Originally posted by TwiNpnOy84
I got a question...why does EI want you to convert the evo to LHD....is RHD illegal or somethin here in the U.S. because I know some people who drive on the right hand side, and they dont get in trouble.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:11 PM

Just look at all the Subaru wagons riding around being used for the the poastal service.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

umm....EI is sellin evos that are RHD...look at their site...why are they saying it must be converted.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Importing RHD is not illegal, but EI is trying to use a regulation that allows for cars to be imported for street use if they are sufficiently similar to a US model, thus they need to be LHD. If they wanted to import RHD version they would have to crash test them like Motorex did for the Skyline GTR.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Although EI is, theoretically, based in Florida, I believe they've received their business training from the P.T. Barnum School of Economics, based here in his home state, Connecticut. Their motto is: Never give a sucker an even break. And, when all else fails, LIE.

Let me take you back to last October:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&threadid=9135
And, in the very likely case where EI elects to "edit" its previous responses, here is a quote from the above citation:
Dear fellow members,

Certain statements have been made about the progress of the EVO VII and we thought it would be best to clear these up to the best of our abilities.

Our website does state an estimated 10-12 week shipping and conversion time. This was posted sometime after the sale of the first group of customers. It was clearly explained to these first 5 customers that the process would take an undisclosed amount of time since the cars would still be under the testing process. Unfortunately, it is up to the DOT and EPA as to how long the process will be, and it is anyone’s guess as to the amount of time for the testing. Knowing this, we gave these beginning customers a lower price on the car and all of their aftermarket parts at cost.

In accordance with the above statement, we’ve maintained constant phone contact with all of our customers in order to keep them informed of the progress of their car. In regards to the one person who was not satisfied with the progress of his car (which is only delayed due to DOT and EPA paperwork like all of our first vehicles undergoing testing), we offered a full refund for the car as soon as we were informed of his feelings.

Concerning our converter, they are very reputable and have been around for many years. They are not supposed to receive calls from personal customers. EI is here to answer any questions you have and we work hard to keep our customers informed. Try to imagine the converter taking care of not only the EVO, but a few hundred more cars as well. Now picture everyone who has personally bought a car, and everyone who wants one calling them. How long do you think it would take for the cars to be ready then?

Our parts have been coordinated to arrive as close to the time of the cars being ready as possible. Most customers and installers can’t do anything with the parts until they have the car; therefore it just takes up room. Of course some customers have made many revisions to their order, so we can’t order theirs until they have made a final decision. This does not hold up any other customers who have made their decision.

We are just as excited for the completion of the legalization testing on the EVO and look forward to having it out on the streets. EI is very determined to help anyone we can and enjoy talking to anyone with questions.

Sincerely,

Adam Burdette
Joint Managing Director
Evolution Imports LLC
http://www.evolutionimports.com

Last edited by Seņor Info; Mar 14, 2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked to Adam a couple of days ago and he mentioned the coversion from RHD to LHD for 8 models. He made it sound like it was real easy and all that needed changed was the dash and the steering wheel After living in Japan for many years I know there is much more to it. Going to have to have your passenger open the fuel door??? Pedals??? I was looking at bringing in a Euro model if all that was required was bumpers and emission work but I can't see a bunch of guys in the Dominican Republic turning wrenchs on my EVO.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

all of the evo VII's are already LHD. I would assme the same thing would go for the Euro EVO VIII's (which have the 6 speed, etc...).

the "conversion" is the process to make the car legal on the roads in the USA (emissions, safety, etc...), not nessesarily switching from RHD to LHD.

I could not even imagine how hard that would be to swap driving sides.... the Skylines could not be done because (for at least this reason, but most likely many many others), the steering mechanicsms would have to run right through some immoveable part of the engine....
Old Mar 15, 2003, 08:30 AM
Account Disabled

Skyline racing sells LHD skylines.i spoke to them before.They can either find u a skyline get it to motorex get it legal then they convert it to LHD.Either wich way they get there cars pass through Motorex.also here is a site that shows how a guy converted his RHD skyline to LHD
http://www.helan.to/henri/gtr
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

thanx for the help!!
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:17 AM

Senior Info...

Try and answer all your questions... I was just scanning stuff...

As far as the Skyline stuff goes.... technically the first petition would have been the first car but it was not - I did the first substaincially similar car once the petition was approved. And actually the first car - the first bond release was before the final approval was published. The first DOT bond release was a few months before approval....figure that one out...

An RI can not contract out the work - which is why JK never did legalize a car. JK did the work for the petition. MotoRex became an RI and legalized all the cars. The DOT was very aware of the whole process. I visited the DOT twice and spoke with the people there at length about the process. Everything was legal.

As far as comparing cars go.... the Lancer Evolution was released Jan 2, 2003 at the Los Angeles Auto show. I live in Los Angeles. Magazines get cars before the public.....sometimes several months before release to the general public.

Luke Loy is no longer in the Office of Safety and Compliance . He is now at a different department in the DOT.

Other stuff - the only legal Right hand drive car is the Skyline.

Henri Helanto made a left hand drive R32 . He visited MotoRex a few years ago... had video of his car.

I have driven a left hand drive R33 here in the US from Skyline Motors.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

EI has still not answered the question to why wasn't all of this paperwork and petitions done for the VII a long time ago? Instead they raped a ****load of money from people and then took the cars back.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Obviously EI does not want to answer this question.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why they have to convert VIII models from RHD to LHD is there are no LHD cars coming out until next year for Europe that are LHD.

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]