Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and a sports car $2000 - $4000 every 6 months
HAH i laugh at that price

Right now on my Slushbox lancer i pay $2500 and its under my mothers name and she hasnt driven in over like 15 years. Thats CHEAP. If i were to get a WRX right now id pay 7-9......NY is just sick with insurance.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:32 PM

OMG insurance is HELLISH!!!!
We pay more for legal BS than for the car

In response to some of this:

Evo VIII will likely be run virtually the same for JDM and US market b/c the front-mount IC is maintained and the whole thing was reengineered and the mfg setup is so much easier with one run.

Also: AYC will be on them. ACD probably will not (VIII driven in Vegas had no ACD...used an LSD instead) More on LSD if anyone is interested ...thanks Al.

GDI isn't coming out on any other prod cars yet so very unlikely to be on VIII.

Dealerships will mod Evos for you (with their mechanics) and maintain the warantees in some cases. If you then take it to another (cheaper, better) tuner and have it further mod'd....who's to know? Well, ...likely they would know more was done...but if you just retune the ECU and set the settings back after you wreck it by monkeying with it like you are told "DO NOT DO!!!"...then you can get all the work covered. I think I'm going to try to learn as much as I can, but leave ECU adjustments up to an expert.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
Also: AYC will be on them. ACD probably will not (VIII driven in Vegas had no ACD...used an LSD instead)
I always thought the LSD set-up was to replace the AYC.

I could live without the AYC but the ACD is very much needed. And if Mitsu's ACD sucks then just replace with Ralliart or Mine's ACD.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:50 AM
Account Disabled

Thumbs up

Last edited by Celm; Feb 4, 2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

wha t kind of rides?
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

so they drove their.... what? spaceships? go-karts? bikes? don't leave us guessing. But because you posted this for other people it has to be special, so im guessing you mean they got EVO VIIs from evolution imports? post pics and do tell all the details.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:54 AM
Account Disabled

There 2002 EVO 7 from Evolution Imports
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:56 AM
Account Disabled

they will be posting there 2 cents pretty soon
Old Jul 29, 2002, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

oh ****... cant wait to see this ......
Old Jul 29, 2002, 04:09 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Karl is having a good week. First he took 1st at his autox and now he got to drive HIS Japanese spec Evo 7 on US soil!

Mark
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:25 AM

okay im new but... cant you get the euro version?? i know its a little lower on power, but it has the importants..Yaw and AYC,AWD 4G63, recaros and brembos...right?? and the steering wheel is on the correct side??

-Shahul
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warranty and financing.

I can't really see the use of a warranty unless you will not modify a single component of the car,
Well what if your A/C stops working, or you have electrical problems, or anything else that a warranty would cover even if you have a modified car? Unless they can prove the mod caused the problem, the warranty remains in effect anyway.

How much does these 3 year warranties from say Motorex/EI cost? Do you have to go to Motrerex to get the work done? Not very convenient for out of towners. I do not think our dealership would even open the hood to do an oil change on such a vehicle. And you guys are sayin they aren't really even street legal yet?

How easy is it to get these cars registered and insured? What kind of financing is offered? Will banks loan on a car on which a VIN doesn't show up in their system? Do you have to be just crazy rich and get a signature loan with some nutso interest rate?

Crazy markup or not anyone of these reasons would be enough for me not to import a car.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:18 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I dunno, State Farm will insure on the value of a car. Now, I guess depending on your age, location, etc, an imported car would be much tougher and more expensive to insure.

As far as warranty situations like the ac going out, you can just have a ASE certified mechanic that you trust work on it. I would never trust a dealership with any work on a vehicle. The majority do not have qualified mechanics. Most of the master mechanics will not work on your vehicle, the 16 yr old who dropped out will just open a big how to book and 'fix' your ac Even for my Acura, I've had to correct the mechanics on misdiagnosed problems. While it's true that the dealer has to prove that the part caused the problem, while in reality it works the opposite, and it's much harder for you to argue against. I've been there numerous times with my Acura and it's just not worth it. I have a full warranty and I've gotton 0 out of it.

Ultimately, it comes down to the method which works best for the individual. I can't see the logic in saying an imported vehicle ins't worth it for everyone, when for many it fits the bill just right. I think it's just an uncommon approach for most, which makes it all the more difficult.

Mark
Old Jul 29, 2002, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Qualified tech.

As far as warranty situations like the ac going out, you can just have a ASE certified mechanic that you trust work on it. I would never trust a dealership with any work on a vehicle. The majority do not have qualified mechanics. Most of the master mechanics will not work on your vehicle, the 16 yr old who dropped out will just open a big how to book and 'fix' your ac
Man, I feel sorry for you. We have two Mitsubishi master mechanics, and three others who are ASE certified (maybe more, but I am only speaking of the ones I'm sure about) on duty at our dealership. They have to deal with modifed vehicles all the time, as a great number of DSMs and 3000GT's come in with mods frequently. They also installed my downpipe and exhaust on my GS-T. Warranty issues do come up, yes, but each case is handled based on mods versus problems. Somebody with a hacked up harness and a APExi fuel computer complaining about a rough idle is going to get a raised eyebrow and a "No sir/ma'am" while that same person with a leaky sunroof is going to get their car serviced and if it takes longer then the agreed time, a loner vehicle provided by Mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]