Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think the research and posts are a good thing. Hopefully it will prevent others from getting ripped off.

WRC and Celm would rather see others get ripped off, so they don't feel so stupid. I personally would want to stop the bleeding, instead of watching others get hurt. Easy for me to say, i didn't send anyone any $.

If 100 people order Evo VII's from EI, that still will not change the fact that there really is no way to get a Evo VII legal from everything Mitsu is saying, etc..... The modifications would be either too great, or they would need to crash test 1-3 cars to prove that Mitsu is wrong...... or crash the cars and find out Mitsu is right.

Slap a 100lb I-beam in the front bumper and crash test one. If it passes, problem solved and everyone can remove the I-beam when they get their cars.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Señor Info
It's my understanding that those who want to use their Evo VII's strictly for offroad use (i.e. trailer them between events), should have no problem with the fact that EI hasn't been able to legally convert any of the Evo VII's to street use.

The problem with this for Rally - is that the cars DO need to be registered and licenced to drive on the road. (Transit between stages - which take place on open - public roads) Which only leaves Road racing on tracks.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

The problem with this for Rally - is that the cars DO need to be registered and licenced to drive on the road. (Transit between stages - which take place on open - public roads) Which only leaves Road racing on tracks.
That is correct. In Pro/Club Rallies around here, there are many JDM evos that are registered and licensed. I am not sure if they have a temporary exemption or not, but I know that some of them have been rallying for years (read more than 3) with no problems.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Most have foreign registrations and are brought into the US under the 'race only' exemption. Which is why most SCCA rally cars have foreign license plates.

In the name of fairness, it's not quite right for us to say that WRC4ever and Celm have been ripped off. Surely they are involved in a questionable transaction. But EI is still making promises to them. And at least Celm has a car with his name on it on US soil.

We kinda have to wait to see if the petition gets turned down, and see EI run with the money in their pockets before anyone has been ripped off....dont you think?

But I am interested to see the details behind the business itself. The odd circumstances behind the how/where/when/why's of EI's corporate practice and creation certainly don't lend to them seeming like they have a reputable company.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Oct 8, 2003 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WRC4ever

No need to try hard to find out. I have no affiliation with E.I. other than being a customer.
Next time I'm back home, do you mind if I caught up with you to check out your VII? That would be awesome
Old Oct 8, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Next time I'm back home, do you mind if I caught up with you to check out your VII? That would be awesome
Sure thing. PM me whenever u wanna meet. When will u be back ?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Not exactly sure yet, Christmas time maybe? - I'll PM you. thanks

Last edited by cky3396; Oct 8, 2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:00 AM

SENOR INFO:

If what you are saying is truthful, PM me your name and phone number. I'd be interested in speaking with you.

Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:14 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Phillyevo7
SENOR INFO:

If what you are saying is truthful, PM me your name and phone number. I'd be interested in speaking with you.

Thank you.
Dont do it Senor this guy smells like a hitman!!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

i think "Senor" dummied up a bunch of bogus papers and made up all of that......

Originally posted by Phillyevo7
SENOR INFO:

Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by WRC4ever

That is correct. In Pro/Club Rallies around here, there are many JDM evos that are registered and licensed. I am not sure if they have a temporary exemption or not, but I know that some of them have been rallying for years (read more than 3) with no problems.

In MOST cases that cars in question have a temp. import permit - and must leave the country every 12 to 18 months - and then be re-imported as a competition vehicle.
I know people in the north east that take their rally car to Quebec, Canada every year - for a little holiday
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Easy Rider

In MOST cases that cars in question have a temp. import permit - and must leave the country every 12 to 18 months - and then be re-imported as a competition vehicle.
I know people in the north east that take their rally car to Quebec, Canada every year - for a little holiday
You happen to know if the 2 guys using EVO IV's for rally in Canada (Andrew Comrie Picard and Sylvian Erickson) are using this method? I saw their cars at the rally here in May, and they both had Ontario Plates on them (look the uploaded pic below)

Their cars have been here for over 2 years now, and Im wondering if they had to ship them out of the country or if they can somehow keep them here. Im not quite sure what the exact importation laws are in Canada (except the 15 year old thing), so maybe there is a way to import evo's legally into canada and keep them here? Or maybe theres a loophole to get evo's in legally to drive on the streets in canada? The EVO's weren't on trailers when they pulled up to the spectator stage in the city, and they drive between stages, so I dunno...

Both of these cars are for rally racing purposes though, so it isn't proabably a good soruce to use for possible importation of street legal evos...

I've seen pictures of a Skyline R33 GT-R in Ontario with Ontario plates, and normally you can't even get a skyline past customs since its not 15 years old. Also, there is a '91 Skyline GTS-T in your city, i have seen pics of it at your local track, but im pretty sure that was imported illegaly.

Anyone have any insight on importing EVO's into canada?

EDIT: The Other EVO IV that was at the rally here (Andrew Comrie Picard's car) had New York Plates on it, so nevermind that, but im pretty sure the EVO VI owned by Frank and Dan Sprongl is Registered in Ontario, and theres also a Green EVO V that is registered in Quebec that competes in rallies there...
Attached Thumbnails Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]-evoiv.jpg  

Last edited by awddrifter; Oct 15, 2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
Yeah, I drive past them every day. On the 55 freeway. You can see about 4 purple/blue evo VIIs and some white ones parked behind a fence along the freeway.
Any chance at getting pictures?? Sad that those cars will be all faded by the time someone gets to use them.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 04:05 PM

Has anyone on this site ever received an EI car (VII, VIII, WRX or Si) they can legally regsiter, insure, and drive on the streets here in the US? If so, please post the specifics (not price if that matters to you) of your transaction. I'd very much like a JDM spec Evo VIII but do not want a big problem or hole in my wallet (who would?). Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Scot
i think "Senor" dummied up a bunch of bogus papers and made up all of that......

You're just an idiot. Senor Info is a pathetic person with an axe to grind. I never said the papers he refers to are "bogus." However, "Info's" implication that EI is fraudulent is absurd, especially since the evo 7 petition has never been denied. Anyone with half a brain knows it's going to take time to legalize a vehicle not intended for the U.S, especially with our government, who apparently has nothing better to do than restrict BETTER cars from coming here.

INFO, leave it alone. Only the freaks on this board give a crap about what you say. Afraid to identify yourself for fear of being sued for slander, huh??

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]