Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My rear wing snapped in half-while driving

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtags24
pretty sure these things get wind tunnel and track tested over the generations. yours probably had a defect

If this was a common occurrence, it would be ALL over evom

not saying that downforce didn't have a role, but i have a hard time believing you actually destroyed your wing with aggressive driving while countless others have done the same kind of driving and had no trouble.

It was probably damaged before, and the excess downforce caused the snap. take it to the dealer and good luck!
But it's also not a common occurrence evo 9 owners going 160+ on a very windy night. Remember it was a windy night as well as the time when my buddies wing did the SAME EXACT thing on a windy night. I saw it with my own two eyes and his was not damaged before.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

You are the first one, go back to your dealer you might still under warranty
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedIXMR

PS: Sorry if I come off a ***** to you even though I am a customer of yours but I know I'm right and you're wrong. It's just annoying when people on this forum spread false information.
The fact remains that the IX wing is not only hollow, but plastic. It is much weaker than the Evo VIII.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WickedIXMR
But it's also not a common occurrence evo 9 owners going 160+ on a very windy night. Remember it was a windy night as well as the time when my buddies wing did the SAME EXACT thing on a windy night. I saw it with my own two eyes and his was not damaged before.
Yes that's a good point. In that case, glad to see the wing was the only thing that broke when someone went 160+ on public roads
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty crazy, I have never heard of anyone having their wing buckle from wind and high speed.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:49 PM

wow i have never heared of that happening try getting it covered under warrantie.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

kinda reminds me of fnf toyko drift where the dude snaps the silvias spoiler in half I was like wtf, but I def agree that somebody had to have messed with it, jus see if you can still get it covered under warrenty good luck
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

this is the same thing happened to me,,, just because a tree branch fell right on the same spot and made a big crack on the carbon fiber. i ended up getting a used evo VIII wing which is more stronger than the IX.

Last edited by alphadux_evo; Jun 17, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

A good friend of mine GPSed his evo IX MR at 182mph and then freaked out when he looked out his rear window to see the wing bowed down so low it was almost touching the decklid. It looks fine now but I can only imagine that its weaker now and may have some issues down the road. His trunk got a little tweaked too.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard of this happening to a local guy. Not sure if I was previously damaged.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its got to be some sort of batch problem if indeed it was totally sound to begin with. Seems awful strange though...

I've seen chicks on these things and they hardly flex, that's with all the weight in one spot. Air would be more spread across the surface area. Who the hell knows...

either way, that sucks. Atleast you know where you can find replacement parts at less than half the cost. good luck
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:49 PM

that is plain bad luck along with a major dick move or drunken move by someone haha
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:50 PM

you mightve broke the sound barrier
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I have done an indicated 125+ at the track and have never noticed my wing bowing. I guess I just need to go faster

About the whole closing trunk by the wing thing, it takes barely any force to close the trunk, probably no more than is exerted going down the freeway. Do you guys really think that will weaken the wing? Cause I have taken the freeway (not to mention the 120+ mph straights at the track) way more times then I have ever opened and closed the trunk, though I have never closed it by pushing the wing.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Somebody definitely must have messed with the wing to get it to do that. The wing always survives! (At least VIII wings do).

Quick Reply: My rear wing snapped in half-while driving