Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My rear wing snapped in half-while driving

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i read all your comments and can promise you, the wing was in perfect condition before. this car doesnt have a single door ding, dent or anything in that regard, never thru a car wash, trunk gets closed by the lid not the wing, and I have taken great care since I own it. I just wanted to post an incredible story I thought. I never thought of it ever happening...**** it was the last thing on my mind. But it definetely happened, it made a loud thump went it hit the trunk lid. If I get a warranty for a defective wing, then cool, if not, it is also cool. I dont expect Mitsu to pay for the wing if they say my car is far beyond what it was designed for. Its alright. Definetely wont be getting another wing if its not replaced, so a lip will have to do Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
Its got to be some sort of batch problem if indeed it was totally sound to begin with. Seems awful strange though...

I've seen chicks on these things and they hardly flex, that's with all the weight in one spot. Air would be more spread across the surface area. Who the hell knows...

either way, that sucks. Atleast you know where you can find replacement parts at less than half the cost. good luck
hahaha how big of a chick are we talkin about but never heard of the rear spoiler bowin like that, maybe its bowin out of respect to be able to get the evo at 182mph or break the sound barrier
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

pre-pair to go in to hyper speed.....lol damnnn never thought that would of happened
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crazy K
hahaha how big of a chick are we talkin about but never heard of the rear spoiler bowin like that, maybe its bowin out of respect to be able to get the evo at 182mph or break the sound barrier
Yeah 182mph seems high to me too, this was GPS indicated speed FWIW.

It really freaked him out though at the time. His wing has held up fine, I know Ryan Gates raced his car at Mid America earlier this year while his X was still at AMS and he had no issues.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

damnnn so did anyone find out what the real reason was that the wing snapped in half?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a picture one time of an evo 8 doing around 155 and the wing was flexing down hardcore. So I beleive it was downforce. Plus the added winds from that night, also true that in the 9 wing being hollow, and yes the sides are plastic (painted parts) but the cf is hollow
that's crazy man good luck with the dealership
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

yea im going to have to agree with everyone else on here. Theres no way that the wind alone could do that.. It had to have been at least stressed on that exact point previously... Good luck getting it fixed either way tho.. or you could just loose the wing all together.. besides, wingless is better anyway
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

damn I thought the evo wing was indestructible
Ive seen so many evo involved in crazy accidents and the wing always survives
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

yeah do you remember putting a heavy box or something on there because that shouldnt happen with speed
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:31 PM

Kamikaze? Divine wind? I don't think Mitsu is in the position to help you out.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

were you driving through a hailstorm by any chance?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

hehehe maybe thru a Tsunami!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not surprised but the 9 wings suck. Knock on a 9 wing then knock on an 8 wing and you'll hear and feel the difference.

One of the reasons that when I had my 9, sold the wing and bought an 8 wing and painted it to match my car.

I heard someone had something similar happen but the wing snapped in half and dented the trunk.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well my wing bent in half and also dented my trunk lid. Nothing different there.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pirana
i read all your comments and can promise you, the wing was in perfect condition before. this car doesnt have a single door ding, dent or anything in that regard, never thru a car wash, trunk gets closed by the lid not the wing, and I have taken great care since I own it. I just wanted to post an incredible story I thought. I never thought of it ever happening...**** it was the last thing on my mind. But it definetely happened, it made a loud thump went it hit the trunk lid. If I get a warranty for a defective wing, then cool, if not, it is also cool. I dont expect Mitsu to pay for the wing if they say my car is far beyond what it was designed for. Its alright. Definetely wont be getting another wing if its not replaced, so a lip will have to do Thanks everyone.

Wow that is definitely crazy, I wouldn't have been able to tell since the fastest I have gone on a road course was about 130mph. In the streets, maybe 10 over the speed limit max on highways. I do use my wing on any car as a drink and food holder though when I goto meets, puts it at the right height to get it out of harms way

I remember driving my STI back on 03 (was the 04 model) and watching the wing flex but not drastically like you guys are talking about.

Last edited by slo4g63; Jun 22, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: My rear wing snapped in half-while driving