Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My rear wing snapped in half-while driving

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the people that have broken their wings, have you opened/closed the trunk, holding onto the wing?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your missing about +30MPH more!!! Nothing happens until +175MPH.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geez were u guys doing top speed runs!? ha
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:43 AM

i have had the gurney flap on my 8 wing for over 4yrs now.no problem and i stripp all the paint off recleared and now its full cf 8 wing...but i have been behind another evo and i seen noticable amount of vibration and flapping up and down on the freeway.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have 80k+ on my evo VIII and the car is a NJ car with salt and all the other **** in the nj air its not garaged and Iv done 180+ mph (Cop confirmed on radar as well as 5 other witnesses) and mine still hasn't had a problem.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

From the way it looks like a rock or something hit it in the front making a rip. A rock from a dump truck or something could of fell of the truck a bounced and hit the back of the wing hard. I had a rock hit my window before and crack it.

Their was one time in my honda I had a golf ball hit my car. Here in Fort Myers we have a golf course that rides next to a major road. Plus their is a stop light their. I was waiting at the light when out of the blue I see this golf ball hit my hood and bounce off. Scared the $hit out of me.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Jesus guys either you guys are hard as a rock or not reading!!! It fkn broke under the inmemse pressures created. Evo9 wings suck *****! Evo8 wings are extremely strong, hence yours not breaking. Get me another one (with gurney flap) and well bust it again!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
this has happened to me too, for my evo9 wing. when i replaced it i replaced it with an evo8 wing. never happened again. i think the evo9 wing is plastic yes?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

i've got two evo 8 wings need one?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Ill look at them. What color? I might go wingless this time.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirana
Ill look at them. What color? I might go wingless this time.
not sure that I would recommend that if you are really going 175+ with any kind of frequency..
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Look it's wing flex!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEs-DatuHs

Ok on a serious note... I've taken my bish to over 180 on a non windy day... haven't look at the wing flex unfortunately because at those speeds, I was focusing on.... hmm what was I focusing on... oh yeah... I was focusing on the thought "don't die!" and what was in front of me hahaha.

On another note, I CAN see how a bad mix of cross winds, a crest filled road, and high speed can cause the evo IX wing to crack. The circumstance would have to be quite drastic. Is it impossible? No. Likely? No. And to comment on what someone said before about even pressure across the whole wing when driving at speed... that is incorrect. Study a bit of physics and you'll know that sure, over all, the pressure is in the same vicinity, but you don't get the same amount of pressure across the whole wing by the wind. Wind angle plays a major role. And obviously, a wing with that structure will ONLY break in the middle area regardless of how hard the wind pressure is by mother nature. Now if your wing ripped out of the side plastic socket and flew off like a boomerang... THAT is a defect! ROFL I believe Mitsu could and would pay for that if that happened... In fact, you should have probably tried to rip off the whole carbon fiber center wing piece... and just say that it flew off on the highway, and you couldn't get it back. LOL

Sux it cracked like the other guys said, I'm also not surprised mitsu didn't warranty it mother f'ers.

I agree the 8 wing is stronger. But to think the 9 wing is full plastic... wow just wow.

Good luck with whatever route you chose. "When it breaks... Upgrade it!"
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hypnotiq9000
Iv done 180+ mph (Cop confirmed on radar as well as 5 other witnesses)

Did you know this cop was confirming it on radar?? haha
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirana
Jesus guys either you guys are hard as a rock or not reading!!! It fkn broke under the inmemse pressures created. Evo9 wings suck *****! Evo8 wings are extremely strong, hence yours not breaking. Get me another one (with gurney flap) and well bust it again!
I still call BS, and you need to do some research on these "immense pressures" to see how this stuff actually works.

If it had happened once, then yeah I could say maybe you had a bad wing...but now you're trying to get us to believe that this happened twice with two different wings with NO PRIOR damage, and nothing hitting the wing....

riiiiggghhhhhtttt

the EVO IX wing is identical to the EVO 8 wing in the section that you claim it broke, so that wouldn't make any difference at all. The EVO IX wing is plastic on the sides, while the EVO 8 wing is carbon. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the carbon center section (which is identical on both cars) breaking in half.

Stop trying to spread all this misinformation about the IX wing.

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 14, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:32 PM

Call it a case of bad luck and go wingless for awhile.

Quick Reply: My rear wing snapped in half-while driving