Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will a turbo timer damage a Wideband?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a turbo timer damage a Wideband?

I recently installed a LC-1 in my car and read that if it is not powered and the engine is running it could damage the sensor.

My turbo timer keeps my car running, but the LC-1 loses power when the key is removed.

I was wondering if idling without power will ruin the sensor and should I rewire it to the ignition instead of the cigarette lighter?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is wired into the ignition and it stays on when the key is removed as long as the turbo timer keeps the car running...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

If there is exhaust gasses flowing I want mine on. I have mine wired so when my timer is on and the key is out it will keep the unit powered up. Works when I remote start in the mornings as well.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

good question, bump for answer
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Hmm... good question!

Well, I think all wideband O2 sensors are 'heated', which is one reason they require power. It's possible that one purpose of keeping it heated is to burn off any stuff that builds up on it, like a spark plug.

If that's the case, then I could see the sensor getting contaiminated. Thought it might just get cleaned off next time it gets power.

I'm just guessing, call up Innovate or someone
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jve153
good question, bump for answer
Umm maybe I am slow this morning but didn't the OP answer his own question. The instructions that come with it say to keep the sensor powered while the motor is running or it will damage the sensor. What else needs to be answered?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Umm maybe I am slow this morning but didn't the OP answer his own question. The instructions that come with it say to keep the sensor powered while the motor is running or it will damage the sensor. What else needs to be answered?
I have read many people who wired it into the lighter circuit. I was unable to find out if this actually caused damage or not with the search function. I sent an email to Innovate. When they get back to me I will post it up here.

Until then I will move the power to the ignition circuit.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'd venture to say that start up is when you would want to be sure you have power so that the sensor heats up fast before the exhaust has a chance to damage it. Once the engine is running, it isn't like the exhaust is going to "cool down" or anything. I'm sure the heating element gets overran by the EGT before too long, but it's needed for that initial start up to keep from damaging the sensor. However, I don't see why you would wire it to anything other than ignition power in the first place. It's not like you'd be checking your AFR when sitting in a parking lot with the key in the accessory position.

OEM oxygen sensors are required to heat up within so many seconds of engine start for emissions and crap. The requirements get more and more strict every year. 2000 was like 1 minute, then it was within 30 seconds...Whatever.