Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Overreved

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overreved

Like the title says i overreved 3 times in the last year. Mostly due to the notchy shifter and the fact that i can't shift fast so it happens sometimes i use force to put it in gear.

The car seems fine for now (drank some oil but otherwise seems ok). Was thinking about a compression test.

What other things should i look for or check, because i surely don't want a spun rod bearing or worse, a rod outside of the block.

It is a evo 9 with around 22t miles on the clock (mods: exhaust, remap, fuel pump - stage 1 mods).

Thanks for the info guys
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

You should be fine because of the rev limiter.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Unless you are absolutely trying to blow your motor, the rev limiter will tell you when you are pushing it. Most likely if you had damaged a bearing, you would have known it by now.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by streetturbo
The car seems fine for now (drank some oil but otherwise seems ok). Was thinking about a compression test.
how much oil is it using between changes?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well im pretty sure you wiuld know if a rod was sticking out the block haha so if the car sounds good and runs good just give it a tune-up compression test and maybe a boost leak test while doing everything ne ways
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should provide the fact that you overreved your car by shifting to 2nd instead of 4th while being in high rpm in 3rd gear to give the people a better idea of what youre issue seems to be.

Revlimiter doesn't stop that.

You can also add you were racing me and being nervous but that's against EvoM policy =)
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

As said i overreved by shifting in the wrong gear (from 3rd to 2nd but should have shifted to 4th gear).

Oil consumption is fine atm but hope i didn't bent some valves or stretch the rod bolts or sth.

Thnx for the info
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by streetturbo
As said i overreved by shifting in the wrong gear (from 3rd to 2nd but should have shifted to 4th gear).

Oil consumption is fine atm but hope i didn't bent some valves or stretch the rod bolts or sth.

Thnx for the info
an easy way to find out if you bent a valve is to boost leak test. if it dosent hold boost go to the exhaust and feel for the air comming out of it, if so you have bent valves .. GL
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:23 PM

That happen to me and my car is running perfectly. Many miles later