Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it possible to install ayc on a ix?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to install ayc on a ix?

I was wondering what parts would be required, and what it would cost to install the European/Japanese evo ix Active Yaw Controle on a US spec evo ix. I am sure it is possible, but I am wondering if any one here has done it, and how much it would cost.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Actually I have thought the same thing. The fact that another IX has it means it cant be too hard to put one on a US IX.

But I heard as well that its unpredictable there and some people disable it?!?

Sounds kick *** to me and I'd love to retrofit the system. I'm still shopping for my Evo though.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidtonic
But I heard as well that its unpredictable there and some people disable it?!?
Hardcore racers (or maybe some semi-soft ones) disable it because it can unnaturely change the way the Evos handle at the limits. Without it, a pro driver can go ten-tenths and know when to let up as they apporach the limits, rather then having a computerized nanny step in and do what it thinks is best, and maybe end up scrubbing some speed.

So yeah, maybe a pro can go faster without it, but for those of us who aren't doing a time attack at Tskuba for a tuner shop with a $150,000 Evo, it might be helpful.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont do time attack and i dont like it. the ACD reflash actully turns it off (YAY! )

it counters your driving input - not good.

to the OP u will need the following:

JDM/AUDM Diff
ACD/AYC Pump
ACD/ECU
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked about this back when i first got my evo if you got time and money and calibration tools for (G-force sensor for s-ayc) then it will be a great project but i abandon this project after finding out that you need too much stuff that will equal an amount that will be the cost of buying an imported jdm spec version.

fyi
i was trying to build a fq-400 and that s-ayc was my stumbling block,
personally i dont think its worth it unless you dont care. I can send you the vid link from top gear but i got to find them (fq-400)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Rolly1818 isnt your gas tank different too (smaller) because of the pump, solenoid, and diff placement?

I was also told that the solenoid will break if you put too much power to the wheels.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Go buy a X :P
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
Go buy a X :P
I think the issue here is the X has a bunch of changes when we really only want 1 feature.

So cool the heavier car everyone says is slower than the 9, and gives less driver feedback has it. It also has a different engine we dont care about, a higher price tag, and different looks.

Sounds like the 9 is the real drivers car, and AYC on the 9 is what people want. (or dont after confirming my beliefs about its downfalls)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rolly1818
i dont do time attack and i dont like it. the ACD reflash actully turns it off (YAY! )

it counters your driving input - not good.

to the OP u will need the following:

JDM/AUDM Diff
ACD/AYC Pump
ACD/ECU
This is the list of parts I was expecting. I guess it isn't as great as I thought it might be.

The most recent (edit Edmond's Inside Line not C&D) Article I read said that the AYC in the evo X was too slow to help in the slalom. They were comparing the Evo to the Pontiac G8 GPX. I had thought that it made the car handle like rear wheel drive without you noticing it, but it seems their driver could feel it, and noticed that it wasn't good for quick transitions.

Last edited by icole; Jun 24, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:28 PM

I had to do something similar to this since the acd in my 8 was taken out before i bought the car it i know the acd pump alone is 1700 and you will have to wait a long time to have it shipped from japan unless you can get one out of a wrecked evo cause no one will have it in stock then you got to get the wiring for it which is also alot of work.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

this will do what you're looking for

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:25 PM

you might need to change the wire harness or add some wires. cause the ayc system uses feed back from the abs and steering input. i went the opposite way i just converted my jdm VII to RS no ayc or acd and i put in a US RS wire loom to get rid of the extra wires.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

no one in the US will do this swap.

As the gentlemen from trinidad noted, the AYC is a hinderance to aggresive driving. Hence all ACD tunes have the AYC disabled. There is one that I know of from ralliart that keeps it actuated, but there are 3 others or something like that keep it off. Mines, Garage HRS, Ralliart (tarmac and gravel), AP boss etc etc all have the AYC disabled....it is too slow.

Not only would the parts be hard to source, as you would need the parts stated above, but it is completely uncharted territory

And yes you would have to wire it in the ACD ecu and since you want to run AYC you would need a JDM or UKDM acd ecu....as no one state side has the knowledge to flash the AYC on the usdm acd ecu.

Good luck if you go through with it.

I believe the acd pump controls the ayc as well...as the acd pump is mounted in the rear on jdm and ukdm cars (driver side rear)

if you want perfomance get the flashes from Gruppe s...