Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch issue, dealership A-holes, and a rant...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issue, dealership A-holes, and a rant...

I just went into the Mitsu dealer and asked them to diagnose a problem with my EVO 9. When I turn right at low speeds I feel a shutter from the front end. It happens when I turn left too, but not as bad. I also tell them that when I stop I hear a “Pop” also from the front. I expected it to be a suspension problem. I only have 36,000 miles, and I drive it her very gently…
They tell me I need a new clutch!! WTF!!
Later, a mechanic asks me to replicate the problem on the road. So, I pull out into traffic and the front end shutters (as expected). He proceeds to tell me, “All you Evo owners all rev the engine too high when coming out on first.” I told him that I launch around 1500rpm at all times, as low as I possibly can without getting slippage. I asked him what rpm he would recommend for me to engage 1st? His response was, “1200rpm.” I don’t know about your car, but mine idles at 11-12 hundred rpm…
He said my clutch pedal has too much play. He said that it should engage inline with the brake pedal. I chose to test his theory, and found that he was full of cr*p!! The pedal engaged directly inline with the brake!

I know how to drive a manual car correctly. I was so insulted I almost kicked this bastard out of my car! I have been driving heavy machinery and delivery trucks since I was 15, and this is my second manual vehicle. I do not race my Evo, because I cannot afford to repair broken **** like this!
So I plan on going to another dealership, and a local Evo shop to get another opinion.
The dealership quoted me $2600 for a new clutch and $700 for rear brakes…
I am sure I can get a much better deal somewhere else.

Any opinions would be great.
If it is the clutch, I will most likely go with a ACT and have it installed at TPP in Orlando.
With an aftermarket clutch last longer than the stock one?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get ACT street clutch, yes it will last longer... But i dont understand what you mean about launching at 1500... the guy is full of sh*t take your evo to local shop and let them do the work, to me it sounds like Transfer case not a clutch...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

please dont waste your time @ the dealer. They will take you for every dime you have. try to find yourself a good shop close by and have them do the work if you cant do it yourself.

if your looking for a clutch an act should be fine, im running a 6puck in my evo and love it. Make sure when you do your clutch that you upgrade your clutch lines and front motor mount. it will save you some trouble later on down the road. Good luck man!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:36 PM

Sorry, I dont "launch" the car at 1500 rpm, I "engage 1st gear"...
I hope its not a T-case problem, that sounds much more expensive!
I will be contacting my local shop for help.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

2600 for a new clutch? when i was going to get one through the dealer i was quoted 1600
i recommend just going to ttp, if you dont race a more aggressive clutch with a stock drivetrain shouldnt be a concern
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:47 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with tweakdsm. Sounds like maybe you ran your acd short on fluid and there is now air in the lines. Check your reservoir and see what fluid level you have. If you crank your wheel 180 degree to either side and drive about 15mph you should be able to brake. If you can't your acd system needs bled.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:11 PM

Sounds like the dealer is giving you the run around!!! Is there any other dealers in the area you can take it to???
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If memory serves me correct, this is Angel. It sounds like you went to Sport Mitsu and got shafted. Sounds like your ACD clutch pack is binding up. This is part of the transfer case. You should bring it in and have us take a look at it.

If for whatever reason you need a new clutch, we have them all in stock with flywheels, AMSOIL, , Diamond ACD fluids as well as all of the OEM Mitsubishi Diaqueen for 5 and 6sp.

We also have transmissions and transfercases available as well.

Give me a call tomorrow. 407-475-0010
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:41 PM

What do you think the popping noise that he is describing is? Sometimes when I stop fast my car makes a noise similar to this. It basically sounds like something popping out of place in the front of the car. Right hand side. Only happens very rarely.

You guys think it could be the brakes or suspension? I think this is the same issue hes dealing with.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bustin
What do you think the popping noise that he is describing is? Sometimes when I stop fast my car makes a noise similar to this. It basically sounds like something popping out of place in the front of the car. Right hand side. Only happens very rarely.

You guys think it could be the brakes or suspension? I think this is the same issue hes dealing with.
Nah, his driveline is binding up. We have seen it before.