Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viper2evo I am with you on this one. People who have had no problems with there clutch just say learn how to drive or stop bithing. I say wait till it's your time. This clutch sucks bad. It is Mits fault for making a powerful car with a bad clutch. All the power to you.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by lil'evil_evo
viper2evo I am with you on this one. People who have had no problems with there clutch just say learn how to drive or stop bithing. I say wait till it's your time. This clutch sucks bad. It is Mits fault for making a powerful car with a bad clutch. All the power to you.
evil--

You made my day with that post babeeee...thanks!

Well said.

The damn shame is, I love this CAR!!

It's freaking incredible!
If people would stop piling on me for a second, I could tell them how it handles BETTER than my Viper--any advantage the Viper had was 100% torque-based...

My cornering speeds are higher, and its grip in the RAIN...don't get me started! The EVO's go where Vipers fear to tread...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:26 PM
Account Disabled

The Evo has a 2100 Pound Clutch, not strong enough for an AWD Turbo car. DSM's had the same problem and even an ACT 2100 would crap out on a GSX, you really need a 2600 pounder, I am not surprised by this failure, again the WEAK clutch is a Mistu fail safe. Break the clucth or the drivtrain.

Get an Exedy Twin plate, same pressure but twice the friction area.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

My mentality is HEY im fking happy i was born in 1985, or else I wouldn't have had the oppourtunity to buy this car! I would have been stuck with a old WRX or something. Instead of *****ing to mitsu, I'll let them pass with this since they brought me such a good car. Ill buy a better clutch and say Hey Whatever.

Imho, *****in about the clutch would be like me *****ing about having to buy winter tires. With your mentality, I would be saying to mitsu that they also have to give me free winter tires!!!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with the original poster.

My '01 Cobra had nothing more than a squeeky throwout bearing after 20k miles of abuse (Including 20 or so launches at the track) that was replaced under warranty.

A stock clutch should be able to handle the power of a stock car under any circumstance. Perhaps this is a testament to the fact that AWD technology hasn't truly advanced that far if they're fearing drivetrain failure.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
i don't have any advise, but I am extremely pleased that you are fighting this. Please let us know how things work out for you.

And sr20det, I disagree with you. developed this car with the full knowledge that it was going to be driven hard. If that is what it was created to do, then they should stick behind when people do so. If you go out to a drag strip when it is open to the public and watch people run you will see Dodge and Ford reps out there with parts on hand waiting to do warrantee repair work on their cars that are broken from running them hard. Why do you think Mitsu is widely seen as a second rate Japanese car company behind Honda, Acura, Toyota, ect. From what I have seen these other first line car companies stick behind their products better than Mitsu does. This guy has a stock car that wore its clutch out at 6000 or so miles. That is not supposed to happen.
This man is correct.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA!!!

You wont get any help on this forum. MOst people feel that its all driver error, and if you treat your evo like a mini van your clutch, MAYBE- JUST MAYBE will make it to 15k. ANd people think that is a good thing. Mine went out at 2600 miles, I never droped the clutch but had some spirited takoffs every now and then. People were telling me the same things they are telling you.

If you do a search you can find plenty of polls and threads that can be used to show at least 50 or more failures just on this forum alone. There are plenty of people who would be glad to help you, you just have to ignore all the people who are "know it alls" and "s class gran turismo drivers" who think that its ok for brand new cars to break down for whatever reason.

I have seen plenty of people who mouth others then a month later they have the same prob. Argueing with people on this site will get you no where. Everyone hate's and few offer actual help. That is amusing at times, but when people have legite probs like mine was, and all people do is preach and lecture on there greatness and how you can't drive , and you should have reserched the car before buying it, it gets old.

anyways this is becoming a novel so I must end it, This forum is a kick *** forum, but there are some nancy boys on here that just Hate!!!

The viper master is asking for help not people to mouth him for a problem(and yes the clutch IS a prob)

the end
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sr20det91

Or maybe, I just know how to launch without being too hard on my car.

I'll be sure to report back to you when I hit 25k on my stock unit.
Please hold your breath and anxiously awaite my apology.
OK launchmaster!! You will never hit 25k especailly if you already smelled it cooking. I am with the vipermaster on this one, if you post that your clutch has burnt I will laugh. and then tell you that you can't drive.

the vipermaster is making legitimate points you guys are just twisting what he is saying
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by viper2evo

But the clutch doesn't FAIL. (Neither does it on the Camaro)
It is funny you mention the Camaro. Seems like a lot of them [V8 F-bodies] we get in need a rear end. I think that is the compromise in that particular vehicle, as it is otherwise a superb bargain considering its power. I'd be interesting to see what kind of Evo Mitsubishi could deliver at an $80,000 price point like a Viper or Porsche. But I guess we'll just have to make do with this one.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by vicbdn
Just buy a new clutch jeez. You had a viper, im sure you got the money. Stop whining and start driving. 30k gets you a fast car, not a perfect car.
Amen!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

No, that's bull****. Rust and clutch problems are not acceptable on ANY level-of-price brand new car. My $30k car is perfect. It's not a . They need to get their act together and create a proper clutch and revise their assembly line to do the anti-rust coating properly.

The difference between a clutch that's durable and one that isn't is NOT cost. In fact it probably cost them MORE to design this quick-wearing clutch specifically to guard their transmission from strain. So really don't bring up cost because it's not the real factor and besides that, NO NEW CAR SHOULD HAVE THESE KINDS OF ISSUES. I don't care if it's $20k or $200k.

relies on fools like you who can accept such ridiculous problems with a new car, and if you are seriously that foolish they might actually do well financially because they will be able to keep selling problematic cars and you will keep accepting it.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 08:20 AM

Re: My Evo story

Originally posted by viper2evo
Any advice from Mitsu veterans?
ACT 2600lb pressureplate
ACT "Performance Street" disk, or 6 puck.

These clutches are rather inexpensive, and offer a HUGE advantage over the stock unit. I had one in my '94 GSX, and now have one in my '94 AWD Talon.

Mine have stood up to 6k launches all day everyday forever, these clutches are fantastic. The stock unit is GROSSLY undersized so the increased clamping force is a must! Especially for an AWD car.

If I were you, I'd take this as a mixed blessing.... Yeah, your clutch went out and that sucks, however now is a good time to upgrade.

Fact:

It is not happening with Eclipses.
This is NOT a fact, unless you're talking about the new sissified 3Gs. The AWD's do have a weak clutch.

Last edited by Street Surgeon; Oct 9, 2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Viper2Evo , for what it's worth , I can take care of your clutch issue. If the point in time comes where you want an aftermarket clutch , please email me sales@drcimports.net or pm here on EvoM. I can get you ACT , Exedy and clutchmasters at the best prices around ! Good luck with fighting the denied warranty claim but if you plan on doing 0-60 in 5.1 Sec. all the time , you should probably replace the clutch immediately or this will happen over and over again. You don't have to spend $1350 for a clutch. The Exedy single disk w/ pressure plate and flywheel is only $989 shipped form DRC Imports and will hold 450 whp.

Dustin
Old Oct 9, 2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks to all for your posts and information!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

waa waa waa... bla bla blah, go do search about this topic before ranting about it over and over again. HAHAHA, comparing a Viper and an EVO, c'mon now . The viper costs over twice what the evo costs (i think ), sheesh. Try again.

Quick Reply: My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K