Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2003, 05:06 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GPTourer
Keep your money, pack it up and move on. Nobody faulting you for wanting to do that. But constantly ranting about it in here is what is getting old.
Very well said GPTourer!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

This is not necessarily a love it or leave it scenario. I admit the clutch is a sore point with me but I fully expected to juice my car beyond what any stock clutch would handle any way. This aside, it does not justify Mitsu's boastful advertisement on the 0-60 time in a full page in the June (or there abouts issue) of R&T. My thoughts are that Mitsu knew what it was doing and we kinda sorta got hosed. The clutch is supposedly adaquate form a technical standpoint if not from a practical one. Am I angry enough to sell her? No way. Would I pay 5k more for an sti? Not hardly. Would I be happier with an srt-4? I think not.

Is it reasonable to compare an EVO to a Viper? Beyond their both being fast, I see no simularity between a pure sports car and a highly modified and tuned up four door sedan. As mentioned, these are two differing design objectives with two different approaches to building a fast car. Brute force VS stealth. For logic's sake, I would hesitate to make suitability comparisons between such radiacally different cars based on my personal expectations and assumptions.

Should someone who does not have an Evo or who is merely considering buying one be entitled to an opinion? Sure, but we who own one probably don't care what you think as we can make our own decisions just as you can. Is it mature to complain about what seems to be an inadaqute clutch? It seems rational. Is it worth while to seek legal remedy? Why not if you think your consumers rights have been abused. Good luck and I hope you prevail. For the rest of us.. let's tear it up gentlemen.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JRock

If would be a decent business and own up to their problems and fix them, lawsuits would be entirely unnecessary.

If wanting a new car to actually be a worthwhile purchase and at least moderately more reliable (and spend less time in the shop than a used car) makes me a troll, so be it. I think you just live in a fantasy world where you don't want to hear anything except praise about the car and are all angsty and upset because people are not accepting of the ridiculous problems the Evo currently has that are going unaddressed by .

edit- you know what, the more i think of it the more ridiculous it is that you would go so far as to post to take Mitsu's side in this. and you even said you dont live in the US so you are no more valid posting in this thread than I would be as a non-owner. I am a potential USDM Evo8 owner though, and that's more than you are, so shut your hypocritical mouth with your garbage about how I shouldnt talk since i dont own one. THE VERY REASON I DONT OWN ONE IS BECAUSE OF THESE ISSUES that are going unresolved by .
To stick up for Mitsu is truly pathetic and more trolling than anything else said in this thread.

It's not just US owners that see this as ridiculous - maybe open your eyes and notice people are posting in this thread from other countries too and they are equally appalled at how Mitsu North America is treating its Evo8 customers.
Thanks jrock, you prove my point perfectly. Apparently you don't know what a troll is.

By the way, I live in the U.S. I also know several EVO owners in Europe (mainly Switzerland). They will tell you that the standard clutch does not like tarmac much. In addition, the vast majority of them took out the stock clutch right from the start.

I am aware of other country's EVO owners hence the response below to: footsouljah

Originally posted by footsouljah
hmmm big difference between evos made around the world and U.S spec ones. First off we launch hard and u can pretty much say not 1 evo here hasnt been to the strip that a enthusiest owns.
o yeah thats also after the japanese have already taken the **** outa 1/2 the evos we get with odometers wound back

so i cant understand the clutch problems in the U.S, but then again i have no experience with a evo 8 but i do know the evo 1 -3 were the best and after that they seemed to get weaker.
the evo is also renowed for its clutch here we have no such problems - exhaust, filter, chip hello mid 12 secs 50,000 kms later

and EVOMK8 mitsu didnt release the evo so 50,000 boy racers could go rally racing they just brought the rally race to the streets i didnt think euro models had weak clutches either. clutches would wear on any surface.

My guess is they messed up by trying to cut back on costs and are now turning a blind eye on U.S eo owners. a recall is in order. someones gotta sort it out. maybe u guys been driving automatics to long -sorry my bad
just buy an aftermarket clutch - u will want one in the long run anyways. u wont get **** outa court because the court wont understand the problem all they will see is worn clutch = reckless driver and tell u to **** off.
Thanks for your humor, I needed that.
New Zealand is lucky, you got the EVO's so early on in its history. Realize, never made any money on the EVO 1 thru 7. Yet, continuously improved the car. Yes, clutches do wear on any surface, but a loose surface makes for less stress. may also have chosen a softer clutch due to U.S. driving habits and lack of experience with this type of vehicle to protect far more expensive components. Was it the right type of clutch to use? It seems not.
I NOT saying is NOT at fault. The car is a mere 6 months old. No manufacturer can change a car in such a short time. You also cannot expect to just simply say: "yeah, we'll replace everybody's clutch that busts under 10,000 miles".

The best way to go, as with most car issues, is through the NHTSA. A federal recall is much more likely to get a manufacturer to take action.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would heel & toe'ing deteriorate the clutch as quickly as launching the car?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Just to conclude this:

Originally posted by evomk8

Thanks jrock, you prove my point perfectly. Apparently you don't know what a troll is.
You're right - I should have realized sooner that you were just trolling to elicit a response from me. I should have been smarter than to respond to your rubbish. For that I have to apologize.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Come guys stop you’re bawling.

This much power, this much traction, what did people think would happen? Is this naiveté exclusive to the US? Lots of people have lost their clutches all over the world. All the users of this forum must have heard others point out where the fuse was located in this drive train.

Like most, my previous experience was limited to spinning two sets of tires. I quickly learned to appreciate the different characteristics of our cars. I lost my clutch at around 6k but knew it was on the way out and chose to use it up and find a suitable replacement.

When you smelt that burning clutch stench did it cross your mind that it might be friction material vaporizing? Hands up all who know when we are abusing our cars! When Road & Track proclaims a 0-60 time of 5 point whatever seconds, did anyone here think clutch longevity was high on their list of priorities?

Sorry if this offends but I just put my kids to bed and they snivel less. Mommy, my clutch is gone! This is just pathetic!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Just to conclude this:]

You're right - I should have realized sooner that you were just trolling to elicit a response from me. I should have been smarter than to respond to your rubbish. For that I have to apologize.

Since it would be far too time-consuming to quote all of your previous posts in various threads, attacking and bashing the EVO and , I'll provide the following: Definition of a Troll

An electronic mail message, Usenet posting or other (electronic) communication which is intentionally incorrect, but not overtly controversial (compare flame bait), or the act of sending such a message. Trolling aims to elicit an emotional reaction from those with a hair-trigger on the reply key. A really subtle troll makes some people lose their minds.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/troll
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

BLAH BLAH BLAH, ACK!!!! ACK!!!! ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

BICTH*************************

MOAN MOAN MOAN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

You just proved yourself incorrect evomk8. Perhaps you should actually read and comprehend what you quote. Nothing I have said is "intentionally incorrect" or aimed to "elicit an emotional reaction", where as what you have written is exactly that and purposely being contrary. By sticking up for the manufacturer you are guaranteed to **** off the people who are having problems with their Evos.

My opinion that I have shared in several "problem with my Evo" threads does indeed "attack" Mitsubishi for their lack of a response to these serious issues. What's your point? You have none:

Somehow you have confused my anger towards Mitsubishi with "trolling" which is when someone comes into a thread and tries to bait the people in the thread into discussing side issues and garbage (much like you are baiting me to do right now).

Let me give you an example of a troll, so you know what one is since you are clearly confused:

A troll would be going into a problem thread and saying "haha my STi doesn't have ANY transmission problems. Guess my Subaru just kicks the Evo8's ***". That's a troll - it's goal is to elicit a reponse from the people in the thread - to get the people upset with an obviously inflammatory statement.

A troll is not 'agreeing that Mitsu is ruining its rep with its customer base by not addressing these serious issues', which is what I have done. I'm actually AGREEING with the people who start the threads and are experiencing serious problems with their cars. The simple fact that I'm supporting the thread posters is proof enough that I'm not trolling. Trolls derail the thread or try to elicit an emotional reaction from the person who posted the thread and those who support him. Like you insist on doing in this thread.

Damn you're ignorant about the Internet. Here's a suggestion - don't try to tell someone who's been online long before you what is or isn't trolling and stop being a contrary **** by sticking up for a manufacturer who is wronging its customers.

Now stop side-tracking this thread with your garbage, evomk8.

And when you look through this thread and see how derailed and sidetracked it has become, just remember trolls like you are to thank.

edit - I think it's funny that both you and I are posting completely differently in this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=43368

You're not trolling and I'm not getting aggravated at what you post. Wild, huh.

Last edited by JRock; Oct 9, 2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

I sometimes wonder if people who post problems with the evo even own one. Image some kid bored sitting in house creating a big huge post and he just did it to stir up a bad post. Its also strange to me with all th evos out there why only like 25 to 50 people are posting problems with their EVOs. Go on any forum and its the samething people talking bad about the car. 350z forum was the same way and the STI forum
Old Oct 10, 2003, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

See, why would you go say something like that when I just got done saying that the amount of people with problems with their Evo is above and beyond the average Internet car forum complaint level.

Care to show us people finding rust on their STis and 350Zs? There is also most definitely a much higher percentage of people with transmission problems related to the clutch issue here than there are with either of the cars you mentioned.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

See, why would you go say something like that when I just got done saying that the amount of people with problems with their Evo is above and beyond the average Internet car forum complaint level.

Care to show us people finding rust on their STis and 350Zs? There is also most definitely a much higher percentage of people with transmission problems related to the clutch issue here than there are with either of the cars you mentioned.
go to the CL boards (if they exists) and i'm sure you will find a bunch of whiney *****es like we have in this forum too. I'm positive that they will be talking about problems that you never thought of either, just like here. there isn't any transmission problems with this car. The clutch isn't perfect, but I haven't had any problems. One person found a little rust under his bumper and now we have a "rust issue". And you are just making things worse by coming in here and *****ing about a car that you don't even own. What the hell is that?

go the evo forums and hear about the clutch problem and then go to the sti forum to hear about detonation and running hot. You will always find car specific "issues". back off!
Old Oct 10, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Nice rose-colored glasses. Try actually reading the rust thread. It's not one person. Almost everyone who has checked has found rust! That's pretty bad.

And I just got done saying every forum has some whiners. The issues with the rust especially and also the clutch with the Evo8 are far above the normal whining level. I frequent MANY car forums and the only issues I've seen as frequent and problematic as the clutch and rust issues here are serious issues with other cars (detonation with the STi for example). So they ARE serious issues and your downplaying them does nothing except **** off the people who have the problems who are trying to either warn others or get Mitsu to act regarding the issues.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Nice rose-colored glasses. Try actually reading the rust thread. It's not one person. Almost everyone who has checked has found rust! That's pretty bad.

And I just got done saying every forum has some whiners. The issues with the rust especially and also the clutch with the Evo8 are far above the normal whining level. I frequent MANY car forums and the only issues I've seen as frequent and problematic as the clutch and rust issues here are serious issues with other cars (detonation with the STi for example). So they ARE serious issues and your downplaying them does nothing except **** off the people who have the problems who are trying to either warn others or get Mitsu to act regarding the issues.
there is no rust issue. A few people with some rust doesn't make it an issue. It doesn't count when the same people whine over and over again.

Ok chief, if you say that these issues are SERIOUS than I guess it is a SERIOUS. cuz you know all about the evo and the evo community since you read this forum and that makes you an expert. Since I have an evo, I know these little things like decel noise and other rattles in the car are bull****, and I haven't had and clutch or rust problems. But since you own an acura that makes you an evo "issue" expert, right?. If all this make you feel good, then more power to you. Enjoy!
Old Oct 10, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Wierd, no rust, no clutch problems, no rattles... The manufacturers must've gotten laid the night before they built my baby!!

Or maybe it's just the damn heat down here that keeps the gremlins away from my EVO??!!

Quick Reply: My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K