Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
I guess that means you also support their negative action regarding the clutch issues by blanketing all drivers under the "mis-use and abuse" excuse for not covering their clutches under warranty)

Think about how that makes you look.
And by "guessing" anything you are wrong. I have yet to witness Mitsubishi deny anybody warranty work on a clutch for an Evolution, because as I said, none of our cutomers have come in with such a problem. And if you are just now "discovering" I work for a dealership, it is your own fault I have made that point clear from day one since joining this forum - I have nothing to hide, nothing to fear, and nothing to be ashamed of. Being a current employee gives me insight to things typical people don't and thus I try to share them because this is in fact a Mitsubishi Enthusiast board. And by being an enthusiast makes me pro active for Mitsubishi shouldn't be a suprise to anyway no matter who I work for. You ranting and raving about a car you don't own or have no intentions of buying and railing against a company whom you think is poor makes your posts flame bait no matter how well written they are, its the same old stuff over and over again.
I do know going in that no manufacturer warrantees wear items. I have seen Mitsubishi give a customer of my very own a new clutch in her Eclipse RS, which we believe she wore out from her poor driving skills. I don't deny what people have been saying, but I also take things with a grain of salt until I am either personally involved or at least witness it. But that doesn't make me a blind follower of anybody or any company just because I have a different point of view.

Last edited by GPTourer; Oct 10, 2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is a “rust problem” Mitsubishi should fix it. If people make a regular habit of making 5k launches and the clutch dies early as a result that’s an owner’s problem.

Sensible use seems to result in a reasonable service life for many Evo owners. Abusive behavior produces predictable results.

I am perplexed that many were not aware that how they were using their cars would shorten its clutch life. Perhaps Mitsubishi needed to insist on a little education for the customers own good. What seems obvious to me might not be to all. A sticker like the one attached to SUV’s warning that they will turn over if you drive them like a car might be in order.

Though this solution might sound a bit Orwellian, I recall that some lady sued McDonalds for serving her hot coffee when she burned herself. It’s quite remarkable really. A uniquely American approach.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:38 AM

As a potential owner and someone that has followed the threads on this forum, I have to agree with Viper2Evo. The EVO should not be having clutch problems, even if you do a few hard launches here and there and drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. Some of you say you have done 10-50 hard launches and haven't had a problem? YOU SHOULDN'T BE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS with that many or more hard launches! This is a performance car that should be made to handle aggressive driving on a daily basis.

I am amazed at how many of you can defend and their weak clutch! Obviously, the first year of nearly any car is going to have problems. And it's obvious that the EVO's problem has to do with its clutch. should be trying to fix this problem for current owners and, hopefully, it will be corrected in the newer models.

When I owned my 2000 Acura Integra Type R, I took it to the track several times. Each time, I did clutch drops at 4000-6000 rpm's. And my clutch never failed me. When I drove it each day on the street, I drove aggressively and also "raced to quick 0-60's" using clutch drops or feathering it out day in and day out. In two years and 30,000 miles, my clutch was in perfect shape! It was durable, reliable and never failed to slip or cause a problem. I've since sold the car, but it is still going strong on the original clutch with a driver that is probably more aggressive than I.

A clutch should hold up to the abuse of aggressive driving over and over again. Sure, you may not get 100,000 or more miles out of the stock clutch, but it sure as hell shouldn't be failing at 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, or even 25,000 and 40,000 unless you are using your car strictly for drag racing on a consistent basis.

should cover this under the warranty and hopefully fix this problem for those in the future. As for buying an upgraded performance clutch, there's no problem with that as well. But you should be doing that further down the road when the clutch wears out at a normal time. Also, nothing voids your warranty unless it is proven to be the cause of the problem. So just because you add an aftermarket clutch, it shouldn't be a problem unless it can be proven that it damages your tranny.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Oh how do I say this?....

AWD cars are NOT meant to be launched from a stop!!!

AWD Eclipse, launch it = broken transfer cases...

AWD WRX, launch it = broken tranny....

AWD Porsche, launch it = burnt clutch....

AWD EVO, launch it = burnt clutch...

AWD Nissan Pulsar, launch it = broken tranny....

AWD Audi, launch it = I dunno...

AWD Toyota Celica, launch it = I dunno....

At least the tranny can hold up the power of the EVO, as proven by Al.. But the clutch will go.. You see all the cool WRC video's of them taking off like a bat outa hell.. Well they change that damn entire drivetrain every other race.. You cannot.. The car will take abusive driving (trust me), just not launches and clutch riding/slipping.. You WILL fry it.. C'mon, like Braf said, use common sense... Who all has prior AWD experience before owning the EVO.. How is it any different? It's Exactly the same as my 93 GSX in driveability and launching... My WRX launched way different (easier), but the tranny sucked ***.. I'm willing to bet that 80 % of the EVO owners now didn't have much experience in driving an AWD car before...
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GranMassaX

there is no rust issue. A few people with some rust doesn't make it an issue. It doesn't count when the same people whine over and over again.

Since I have an evo, I know these little things like decel noise and other rattles in the car are bull****, and I haven't had and clutch or rust problems.
Ah you're right. I've seen the light. There are no problems with the Evo8 because your car doesn't have them. What was I thinking. It's all lies. I should have known better.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

I love it how most of the people bad-mouthing the evo on this board don't even own an evo. get a clue guys.

I just said that I didn't have any problems with mine. People are going to have problems with every car. You think people don't have problems with the CL typeS?

this is entertaining, please continue......

Last edited by GranMassaX; Oct 10, 2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Valid points are raised here.

I understand people’s prior experience does not prepare them for a burnt clutch at 6k. However please realize that what is slipping on your Acura is most likely the tires. In most AWD cars it will be the clutch. With a stronger clutch it will eventually end in disaster.

I just replaced my five year old diff after knocking all the teeth of the pinion on a spirited departure from a standing start. It would never cross my mind to complain to Mitsubishi about the damage.

Drag racing, street or strip, is not what the Evo is all about (despite what F&F has shown most of the world). The Evo would not be my choice if I were into drag racing. If you do want to drag your stock Evo consider a narrower tire on a separate set of rims for racing. It will help get the wheels spinning and protect your clutch. Alternately learn how to launch the car sensibly.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

this thread is tired..very tired
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

evo8ya, well said. I'm done.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

You just proved yourself incorrect evomk8. Perhaps you should actually read and comprehend what you quote. Nothing I have said is "intentionally incorrect" or aimed to "elicit an emotional reaction", where as what you have written is exactly that and purposely being contrary. By sticking up for the manufacturer you are guaranteed to **** off the people who are having problems with their Evos.

My opinion that I have shared in several "problem with my Evo" threads does indeed "attack" Mitsubishi for their lack of a response to these serious issues. What's your point? You have none:

Somehow you have confused my anger towards Mitsubishi with "trolling" which is when someone comes into a thread and tries to bait the people in the thread into discussing side issues and garbage (much like you are baiting me to do right now).

Let me give you an example of a troll, so you know what one is since you are clearly confused:

A troll would be going into a problem thread and saying "haha my STi doesn't have ANY transmission problems. Guess my Subaru just kicks the Evo8's ***". That's a troll - it's goal is to elicit a reponse from the people in the thread - to get the people upset with an obviously inflammatory statement.

A troll is not 'agreeing that Mitsu is ruining its rep with its customer base by not addressing these serious issues', which is what I have done. I'm actually AGREEING with the people who start the threads and are experiencing serious problems with their cars. The simple fact that I'm supporting the thread posters is proof enough that I'm not trolling. Trolls derail the thread or try to elicit an emotional reaction from the person who posted the thread and those who support him. Like you insist on doing in this thread.

Damn you're ignorant about the Internet. Here's a suggestion - don't try to tell someone who's been online long before you what is or isn't trolling and stop being a contrary **** by sticking up for a manufacturer who is wronging its customers.

Now stop side-tracking this thread with your garbage, evomk8.

And when you look through this thread and see how derailed and sidetracked it has become, just remember trolls like you are to thank.

edit - I think it's funny that both you and I are posting completely differently in this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=43368

You're not trolling and I'm not getting aggravated at what you post. Wild, huh.
You know what, referring to you as a troll was the incorrect choice.

Realize that you have provided an extremely negative and one-sided tone in the vast majority of your posts. After awhile this will likely also upset people who are not experiencing problems (these EVO owners have a psychological need for positive reinforcement so they will not suffer buyers remorse).

Furthermore, your personal attacks are uncalled for. If you have been on the internet so long, you should be more aware of appropriate etiquette and behavior. Yes I labled you... I never referred to you or your posts in any deregoratory way.

As for me being the troll when all I do is providing information that ellicits critical thinking... well, your interpretation can't be helped. Simply attacking solves nothing. Both the rust and clutch issues are something to be submitted to the NHTSA.

I trust this thread will be closed shortly.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evomk8

(these EVO owners have a psychological need for positive reinforcement so they will not suffer buyers remorse).

nope, try again. the only positive feedback I need is when I hit the gas and GOOO.

friggin evo haters, go drive one then we'll see how you feel

.... this thread is trying to tell me something... whats that? I believe it is saying "please close me"
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:18 AM

Well, I have had a Subaru WRX as well, and I launched it hard a few times as well. I'm sure I would have launched it hard more often if I had kept it longer, but I thought the car sucked, so I sold it!

From what I hear, Subaru has a better clutch. Regardless, a clutch should not fail that soon, no matter what kind of driving you do (Unless your vehicle is for racing purposes only - then an upgraded clutch is mandatory). Even if it does fail, the warranty should cover it unless otherwise specified in the "what's covered" section of your warranty. In some cars, the clutch is only warrantied for one year or 12,000 miles. In the case of many EVO owners on the forum with clutch problems, it has happened before one year and 12,000 miles, so it should be warrantied.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evomk8

Furthermore, your personal attacks are uncalled for.
Any "attack" I made was a response to someone attacking me or my opinion. I do not go around attacking people.

Also, GranMassaX - yes, you don't have problems with yours and somehow that, in your mind, means there are no problems at all with the Evo8 so you insist on going around bad-mouthing people who are discussing problems with their Evo8s. No, it doesn't work that way, my friend. Unless your goal is simply to **** off people who are already aggravated by their problems. If that's what your goal is then please keep at it - you're on the right track.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Any "attack" I made was a response to someone attacking me or my opinion. I do not go around attacking people.

Also, GranMassaX - yes, you don't have problems with yours and somehow that, in your mind, means there are no problems at all with the Evo8 so you insist on going around bad-mouthing people who are discussing problems with their Evo8s. No, it doesn't work that way, my friend. Unless your goal is simply to **** off people who are already aggravated by their problems. If that's what your goal is then please keep at it - you're on the right track.
and where did I say this? I don't have a problem with people discussing problems, I do have a problem with whiners. There is a huge difference between discussion and whining. I also have a problem with people that whine and have no business whining, that'd be you. You shouldn't be whining, no evo, no whine. Your just a messenger. You read something and keep repeating it over and over again. We all know about these things and are aware of it, there is no need to beat it to death (it's already been done several times). Discussion , whining

hows that typeS, perfect I assume?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo sucks, stop *****ing. Sell it or shut up? or stop voicing your opinion here and do something about it?

anyhow im 99% getting an evo this weekend. I hope silver is still available.

Quick Reply: My Evo was great--till I lost my clutch at 5K