Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM vs Aftermarket

I'm looking for a new driver side front axle assembly. The OEM part cost $580. The same after-market part from carpartswholesale.com cost $89. How can there be that much of a differences?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:52 AM

Has anyone bought one of these generic axle assemblies or know whether the metal used is the same type?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A lot of times the generic ones are just rebuilt OEM ones. I've bought the cheap generic axles from parts stores and replacement axles from www.raxles.com and never had a problem with any. Raxles probably has the highest quality non-OEM axles you can get though plus they can do custom work if you need it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Do you love your Evo?? Come on man, the saying works with EVERYTHING in life...."you get what you pay for."

What is that crap about if the axle breaks you have a lifetime warranty. Here have another crap axle, but what about all the damage when your Evo goes scrapping across the pavement!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoCop

What is that crap about if the axle breaks you have a lifetime warranty. Here have another crap axle, but what about all the damage when your Evo goes scrapping across the pavement!
This just shows that the majority of you guys don't know what actually occurs when an axle breaks. It's not a matchbox car. Your car is not going to go "scrapping" across the pavement, that's what your suspension is for. Furthermore, the only time you are ever going to have a chance at breaking it is when you are launching the car, which means you won't be going that fast anyway.

Seriously guys, it's an axle. OP, if you are going to spend that much on an OEM one, I would maybe consider upgrading to some stronger aftermarket axles all the way around.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 07:57 AM

I did a little more research and the part I was looking at was actually for the regular lancer, even though the website said it was for the evo. I contacted raxles.com and they said they don't sell evo axles. Does anyone know where I can just buy an inner cv joint other then OEM?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go to pep boys they offer lifetime warranties on the axles. You should be fine with those. The only reason they are so much cheaper is because they are remanufactured.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo585
Has anyone bought one of these generic axle assemblies or know whether the metal used is the same type?
I currently have one of those lifetime axles at Advanced Auto because I needed axles fast and they were in stock. IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT ALL THE TIME!!! Even after alignment, it pulls to the right. Put it on the alignment rack and my caster left front caster is off. No way to change the caster so it's going to keep pulling to the right until I get the money for OEM axles.

If I were you, I would grab used OEMs on eBay as they are $300 most for front sets.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=S2kracka;7256549]A lot of times the generic ones are just rebuilt OEM ones. QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. Mostly they are reconditioned only, sometimes rebuilt. Cheapest bet is to source the part from a salvage lot.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I currently have one of those lifetime axles at Advanced Auto because I needed axles fast and they were in stock. IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT ALL THE TIME!!! Even after alignment, it pulls to the right. Put it on the alignment rack and my caster left front caster is off. No way to change the caster so it's going to keep pulling to the right until I get the money for OEM axles.

If I were you, I would grab used OEMs on eBay as they are $300 most for front sets.
That sucks, I'd take it back and get another one, I'm quite sure you probably just got a bad unit.