Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! Fighting with Mitsu *WARRANTY*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009 | 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

HELP! Fighting with Mitsu *WARRANTY*

Here is my problem.

I was driving on the highway in the left lane about 75mph with normal acceleration when my engine blew. At first I didnt know my engine blew, all you could see was white smoke and there was no power. When I got to the shoulder and popped the hood, oil was everywhere and pouring out of the block.

I had the car towed to the dealer. They said they had to submit to Mitsu since the car was modded and would not honor my warranty.

Total Cost: $8,000.00

All my mods are in my signature block. It makes no sense to me why my engine blew. I was not eccesively reving, I had enough oil. This all happened maybe a month after soon after the Winter.

Anyone got suggestions on how to get this covered, if I can?
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Delete your whole list of mods, I woulda towed it back stock to try to get warrenntied but since u towed it there with a lot of mods your out of luck. The best way was to tow it back stock and tell them it blew randomly if they refuse I'd call my lawyer
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

ouch those mods are gonna hurt you, i highly doubt mitsu will cover it, sucks real bad man.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

^Amen. Sorry...that sucks.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I can return it to stock, but even with these mods other than the cams, there is really no reason for the engine to blow.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

For things to be port/coated, it had to have been removed. Mitsu can easily come back at you saying you incorrectly installed these parts and the result is a blown engine and so and so.

I say, if you bought your car from the dealership and told them what happened, they might be able to help you out. I burnt out my clutch and my dealership were friendly enough to pay for my new clutch. Of course, I did the job myself so they wrote whatever in the back of the check saying I can't come back to them if installation went wrong.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Heh you increased the power output from stock, messed with internal engine parts, and now want them to pay for it when it all exploded? You deserve the bill.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

From. All the abuse over the years it finally let go
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

You are in an up hill battle...

Spend money on fixing it, and not on the lawyer as it will result in a undesirable result. You can't expect them to uphold the warranty when you violated your part of the contract, modding will violate the warranty contract.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

you are going to be hard pressed that you, your tune/mods/some other outside force (ie bad gas, water, etc) didnt cause the engine to blow. it sucks, its a horrible situation. but mitsu is not stupid, they know exactly what these cars go through, thats why they have clauses in the warranty agreement excluding things for certain reasons (modifications, racing, etc) and with the mods, they can say that you have raced the car and possibly did the damage/excess wear that way and then it blew later. (who seriously mods their car and doesnt race somewhat?)
good luck man, but as a service advisor for mitsu, if this car was at my shop, i would be taking pics of the car, and calling my district rep and pleading my case for you as if i knew you personally and begging him to help out even though i know he is prolly gonna say, sorry, thats what happens when you race cars.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand people. I'd you still want warrenty don't mod. I gave up and went all out aem gt35r. Just teachese never buy a new car and mod to ****
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks but an MBC and reflash can void your warranty let alone the internal engine mods like cams, springs, retainers and head studs. Sorry for your loss.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

True, but my car only has 30,000 miles and never been in competition events. Yes, there has been some spirited driving, but nothing over the top.

The only inspection the dealer did was open the hood look and say it was modded.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Also, I bought this car brand new from the dealer.
Old Jul 9, 2009 | 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

lol man, you modded the car. The engine is only guaranteed to handle the power of stock specifications. I don't understand, what don't you get????

Quick Reply: HELP! Fighting with Mitsu *WARRANTY*