Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

US vs. UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question US vs. UK

I have been trying to research what separates the US evo's from the Uk evo's on a emissions stand point. I would like to know what all would need to be converted on a UK evo to meet the EPA requirements here in the US? I haven't made any plans to import a UK evo, but I am curious to what all would be involved in doing so. I plan on contacting Mitsubishi Motors UK, but I thought I would post the question here as well. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

wtf. uk evo's are right hand drive, and they are generally not cheaper than us cars.

would only make sense if you are considering a pre evo 6 model...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

maybe he just wants a RHD evo i would like one LOL
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

to the OP:
good luck trying to import a car that doesn't meet US EPA or DOT standards.
unless you plan on spending an arm and a leg (and i mean it -- reason why motorex and rb motoring are out of business - and federally indicted) because of DOT standards mainly. to convert to meet US EPA regulations you'd have to pull everything out, wire it up for OBD II, and change out a lot of parts to meet emission standards.
then you need to get it up to DOT compliance -- good luck. you need to supply multiple crash tests for the feds, and you need to make your vehicle compliant with those -- that means reinforcing parts that aren't strong enough (doors, etc) to crashes and the alike.

now i'm speaking hypothetically, because i'm not sure how different UK cars are from US when it comes to areas that the DOT mandates; however, it could be things like the side view mirrors don't magnify enough and they need to be replaced (the glass).

you're better off buying something made for the US, unless you have time and money, esp lots of time -- this is only intended for LEGAL use, as there are other ways to get around the system -- special titling/ insurance, dealer's license with dealer's plates, purchase a car manufactured before a certain year (1983?) and EPA/ DOT regulations don't apply -- hence you see many older mini's and jags (barf) on the road then you do anything else from over there.

good luck to you OP, if you get something post it up!
p.s.: sorry to discourage if i have.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:05 PM

^^Thanks for the info CoMoEvo! I spoke with an official from the EPA over the phone as well as an EPA certified shipping companying and just about everything you said is 100% accurate. So now I am checking to see if the process would be any different if I were to import a vehicle classified as a "race car" with no intension on legalizing it for the street; although I may run into the same road block. Either way, I will keep this thread updated if any progress is made.

Last edited by HaleRzr; Jul 13, 2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can i ask why?
what are you trying to do?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HaleRzr
^^Thanks for the info CoMoEvo! I spoke with an official from the EPA over the phone as well as an EPA certified shipping companying and just about everything you said is 100% accurate. So now I am checking to see if the process would be any different if I were to import a vehicle classified as a "race car" with no intension on legalizing it for the street; although I may run into the same road block. Either way, I will keep this thread updated if any progress is made.

my pleasure anything i can do to help.
i have a little bit of knowledge in this area because i used to be (and still am) obsessed with the r33 gtr! i also wanted to know how you see them for sale in the US that are "epa and dot legal" for half to a third of the price of what motorex and rb motoring used to charge.

any how good luck with it -- from my knowledge the easiest way is the dealer's license/ dealer's plates if you have a friend that has a license. other then that you can bring it in as a "race car;" however, insurance is a killer and it only covers the car for i believe a period of time throughout the calendar year (race season?).

peace.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:21 PM
Elu
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CoMoEvo
to the OP:
unless you plan on spending an arm and a leg (and i mean it -- reason why motorex and rb motoring are out of business - and federally indicted) because of DOT standards mainly.
RB Motoring out of business? I just talked to them today.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoMoEvo
to the OP:
unless you plan on spending an arm and a leg (and i mean it -- reason why motorex and rb motoring are out of business - and federally indicted) because of DOT standards mainly. to convert to meet US EPA regulations you'd have to pull everything out, wire it up for OBD II, and change out a lot of parts to meet emission standards.
then you need to get it up to DOT compliance -- good luck. you need to supply multiple crash tests for the feds, and you need to make your vehicle compliant with those -- that means reinforcing parts that aren't strong enough (doors, etc) to crashes and the alike.

now i'm speaking hypothetically, because i'm not sure how different UK cars are from US when it comes to areas that the DOT mandates; however, it could be things like the side view mirrors don't magnify enough and they need to be replaced (the glass).

you're better off buying something made for the US, unless you have time and money, esp lots of time -- this is only intended for LEGAL use, as there are other ways to get around the system -- special titling/ insurance, dealer's license with dealer's plates, purchase a car manufactured before a certain year (1983?) and EPA/ DOT regulations don't apply -- hence you see many older mini's and jags (barf) on the road then you do anything else from over there.

good luck to you OP, if you get something post it up!
p.s.: sorry to discourage if i have.
Thanks, myself and the OP will be depressed all day Way, to kill dreams, you dreamkiller.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

lol nice!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

everything is right except for the crash test part that he said. I have reserched this a little since i want a S15. You need to show crash test if there is no equivalent car in the US. For example a skyline or s15. but for the evo there is a equivalent and that is the us spec evo. so you would not have to do crash tests. There is also a website that was posted in a import tuner mag a few years back that i think i might have overseas with me that there is a list of cars that you can bring over without having to do the crash test with.