Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

headlightt?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
head light bulbs?

i jsut got a 03 evo. my one head light needs bulbs. I know its HID. Where can i get bulbs for it will a place like petboys or autozone haave the right bulbs?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

ebay is going to be the cheapest... youll find them for $25-30 shipped and they work just fine...
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out Sylvania's bulb research guide (Link Here) to determine the correct size, then head to eBay like mentioned. I've purchased several HID bulbs from some good vendors and they've worked great. Just do your normal research/critique of eBay before you buy.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
ebay is going to be the cheapest... youll find them for $25-30 shipped and they work just fine...
To buy OEM (Philips, Osram, GE ) quality you will pay about $45 shipped per bulb or about $75 shipped for a pair. It is best to replace both and keep the good one as a spare. Old bulb and new bulb color will NOT match.

Don't buy the cheaply made Asian HID bulbs, stick with the OEM quality brands. The difference in price is not worth the risk to your ballast or your wallet.

Don't buy used bulbs, no way to verify how used they are or remaining life.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n789db
To buy OEM (Philips, Osram, GE ) quality you will pay about $45 shipped per bulb or about $75 shipped for a pair. It is best to replace both and keep the good one as a spare. Old bulb and new bulb color will NOT match.

Don't buy the cheaply made Asian HID bulbs, stick with the OEM quality brands. The difference in price is not worth the risk to your ballast or your wallet.

Don't buy used bulbs, no way to verify how used they are or remaining life.
Good advice. Some things you just can't be cheap on!
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

The bulb is a D2S
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chu
Good advice. Some things you just can't be cheap on!
I'm convinced all bulbs are made nearly the same... Ive been running the same DS2 8k bulbs for over 3 years now in 4 different cars and theyre still running strong. I also recommend the cheapies to many many many people and i've yet to hear back from anyone that they had problems and i always do ask for you guys to contact me if i suggest something and there are issues so i can help resolve or if in fact the product has gone downhill so i can find the new best thing.

Cheers!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
I'm convinced all bulbs are made nearly the same... Ive been running the same DS2 8k bulbs for over 3 years now in 4 different cars and theyre still running strong. I also recommend the cheapies to many many many people and i've yet to hear back from anyone that they had problems and i always do ask for you guys to contact me if i suggest something and there are issues so i can help resolve or if in fact the product has gone downhill so i can find the new best thing.

Cheers!
BS, the same (what is NEARLY the same). Asian made HID bulbs are ALL CRAP. The quality standards between OEM quality and Asian made HID bulbs is no comparison. I work for a major USA HID ballast manufacturer and the Asian vs European made bulbs (Philips, Osram, GE) are very different. Asian made bulbs can and frequently do damage the ballast when they fail. Everything about them is cheap, the fill of metal halide salts, the non thoriated tungsten electrodes, the quartz glass, the base support, on and on it goes. For only a little more money you can get new OEM quality bulbs.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:23 PM

Those are great prices. Especially compared to the 160-200 price range for HID bulbs for the Porsche parts I charge out which are Phillips or Osram in most cases. I love evo part prices!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fueler11
Those are great prices. Especially compared to the 160-200 price range for HID bulbs for the Porsche parts I charge out which are Phillips or Osram in most cases. I love evo part prices!
The Philips, Osram or GE D2S (or D1S) are all interchangeable. GE does not make a D1S type bulb.

Also these same 3 brands of D2R are also interchangeable as well.

Try seller HIDbulbzRus dot com for great HID bulb pricing. They only sell new bulbs and no damaged bulbs. They sell Philips, Osram and GE brand bulbs.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

/thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by n789db
BS, the same (what is NEARLY the same). Asian made HID bulbs are ALL CRAP. The quality standards between OEM quality and Asian made HID bulbs is no comparison. I work for a major USA HID ballast manufacturer and the Asian vs European made bulbs (Philips, Osram, GE) are very different. Asian made bulbs can and frequently do damage the ballast when they fail. Everything about them is cheap, the fill of metal halide salts, the non thoriated tungsten electrodes, the quartz glass, the base support, on and on it goes. For only a little more money you can get new OEM quality bulbs.
Not to mention there are no spec sheets available for the Asian bulbs... They claim a lot of things regarding lumen output, but I would be interested to know how much light really comes out of those bulb. I highly doubt they use an integrating sphere like they should to verify their claims...

And that is only if we talk about initial lumens, because over time, HID lamps depreciate and lose efficiency. Near it's life end, an HID lamp might have only 70% of it's initial lumens remaining. An asian lamp with cheap components might get a steeper depreciation for that reason. It may still work, but the light output won't be as good as a branded lamp.

Lighting is like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

headlightt?

MY one headlight is completely out except for the turn signal... what bulbs do i need. I know i need a main headlight bulb but what else becuase theres three little lights?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

bumpppp
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Umm, it would be helpful if you told us whether you have HIDs or not. And the High Beam is an h11 in both types.