Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Defi bright/dim - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi bright/dim - is this normal?

Just installed a defi white racer boost gauge. I hate to start another defi question thread, but a search did not turn up any threads addressing my issue.

I tapped the radio harness for 12v constant, 12v switched, and illumination. I used a multimeter to identify the correct wires to tap - the correct wires were easy to identify using this method.

Anyway, here is the issue: When I turn my parking lights or headlights on = yes, the VERY bright Defi gauge DOES dim .. but ONLY if I turn down the dimmer switch. Is this normal? Or should the Defi gauge dim regardless of the stock dimming level?

In other words, if I turn up the stock dimmer all the way, the Defi is waaay too bright. If I turn down the stock dimmer (so that the speedo/tach is darker), the Defi finally dims. This can't be right...

I'd be fine with all of this, but when I dim the stock gauges so that the Defi dims, I can barely see the stock gauges at all. It's aggravating. Help??

Is this normal??
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:44 PM

Okay so here is a video I just took with my phone in case my explanation was poor. Sorry that it is flipped sideways, this happened when I uploaded it to photobucket.

The video starts with the dimmer all the way up - the stock gauges are at their brightest and the Defi is at it's brightest. Then I started dimming the stock gauges and you see the Defi switches to the dim setting. Note that when the Defi is dim, you can't see the stock gauges! Then I turn up the dimmer again and when you are able to see the stock gauges, the Defi is way too bright again.

Is this normal? It can't be... could it be a bad connection on the illumination wire? So that when the dimmer is turned down and voltage to the wire I tapped increases enough to trigger the Defi, it finally dims the Defi? Anyone else have this problem? I bet that's the issue....

Last edited by Need4Spd; Jul 18, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to add video
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

So you always want the gauge to be in the dim setting? If there's no switch then put one there (if they make a resistor switch) or a permanent resistor on the dimmer wire. I would think that would fix it. Maybe just disconnect the dimmer connection. I would think 0V would cause it to go dim.

Last edited by Blast83; Jul 18, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:36 PM

No, I want the Defi gauge to dim nly when I turn the parking lights/headlights on, regardless of the stock dimmer setting. But that is not what they are doing. I turn on the lights and they still stay bright, until I mess with the dimmer setting. Check out the video to see what I mean. I have to turn the stock dimmer that controls the instrument panel all the way down to achieve a dimmed Defi gauge.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well you have a 12V constant and a 12V switched, which I assume is the head lights right? If this is true, then again I think you should mess with the illumination wire.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

You used the radio for illumination. The radio lights dims with the dimmer adjustments so your gauge light also dims with dimmer setting.

Move the illumination tap to something that just goes on when you turn the light on like the green with white stripe wire off the cigarette lighter.

Last edited by gunhaha; Jul 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys - I just figured out what the problem was. Problem solved.

When I was using the multimeter, I had the dimmer disconnected. The yellow and black wire was the only wire registering any voltage difference when the parking lights were turned on and off. HOWEVER, after I had tapped that wire and hooked everything back up (including the dimmer), the characteristics of that tap changed. As I had suspected, as the instrument panel brightened with the dimmer installed, the voltage went down, so the illumination wire was not trigged. As the instrument panel dimmed, the voltage went up, hence my problem above.

I did more testing with the multimeter and the green/white wire on the radio harness was now registering voltage but ONLY with the dimmer harness plugged in. Without the dimmer plugged in, the green/white wire on the radio harness does not register voltage.

So yes, the radio harness is fine to use for everything and it works perfectly.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:56 PM

+10000

Anyway, here is the issue: When I turn my parking lights or headlights on = yes, the VERY bright Defi gauge DOES dim .. but ONLY if I turn down the dimmer switch. Is this normal? Or should the Defi gauge dim regardless of the stock dimming level?

this is how i had to set mine up. and i tapped all power / connections from the radio. this should clear up your issue.