Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

This doesn't sound good....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This doesn't sound good....

i know this doesn't sound good but i need to figure out what could have went wrong...just yesterday my car started to have cranking problems...its low voltage and im running mini battery so not the first time and i jump start it...so today i went out to start my car after work and its dead again..so you know what the heck so i jump started it again...then check engine light came on...when i got home and popped my hood to put on my trickle charger for the night.. i hear bubbling sound coming from the head..i know this is not good..i looked closely and saw wet spots between the exhaust manifold to the exhaust port on head...so something is leaking out of the head seem like and the hot manifold is burning it away.... i never race drag or track my car..its daily driver and i baby it...i dont want to think its a cracked head...i checked oil for sign of coolant but looks fine so its just leaking out of the 1 and 2 port of the head....any ideas??
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

How's your oil level? Check your coolant tank as well.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

oil level is fine and so is coolant level...can't really tell what the wet spot is from...not sure whats coming out of the head thats bubbling...hoping the head isn't cracked or something

btw..the car runs fine
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:31 PM

What does it smell like when it burns? Sweet smell is coolant, but i doubt that you'd be leaking coolsnt on the exhaust side, but you never know. Battery problem sounds like you have a draw. Hook up a meter to your battery and pull fuses one at a time till the reading changes. Check that circut. Other than that, for the leak, maybe its oil from the valve cover. Check what fluid it is. Wait till it cools down, and taste it. You'll need a frame of reference, so taste your coolant and oil, then compare with the leak.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the regular battery back in, or go to Mazda dealer, and get a miata battery for $50 and call it a day there. U don't need the lightweight battery to go to Church with, ot worth the weight savings if you don't track the car, and look how much trouble that's causing you.

Is there "oil-like" dampness under the sparkplug cover? Is that the area you see it? If so, that's normal, as there are "weep-holes" on the valve cover there. How bout a picture of where you see it?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

its right between the exhaust manifold and gasket... i dont really smell anything and doesn't burn like burnt coolant either...never noticed it til now...

and i know..i shouldve kept my stock battery..was building up the car for track in future but been busy working and working and working...
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Is the car stock? Have ant new parts been put on it? Bubbling after you get out of the car after the motor is hot should be ok, its hot water perculating and ok. Does it smell like oil or antifreeze by the "leak?" If you can't see it before it burns off. I say your OK, just get rid of the mini battery with the MAJOR problems.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

New manifold or stock? Tighten the manifold up, maybe seperated a bit from nomal vibrations. I say your fine. Spend 50 for a new "mini" miata battery, I did, and worked just fine! Mini batteries are over rated in my book. Cost too much $
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Is the car stock? Have ant new parts been put on it? Bubbling after you get out of the car after the motor is hot should be ok, its hot water perculating and ok. Does it smell like oil or antifreeze by the "leak?" If you can't see it before it burns off. I say your OK, just get rid of the mini battery with the MAJOR problems.
If you think bubbling noises coming from your car is normal, replace your radiator cap, and check your coolant mixture.