Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GOT SOME FINAL NUMBERS from a RELIABLE Source

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2002, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No number.

Yeah, our rep told us the same thing. 5000 cars. I am amazed
about the number of cars Subaru has sold. I guess Mitsubishi
isn't out to beat them in overall sales in this category, but with
all the tests I've read, they sure our out to beat them in performance,
which is okay by me. We expect it to be an "8" under its skin, but
only to be called "Evolution" without any number here in the states.
Can't wait for the big high dollar Superbowl commercial.
Old May 30, 2002, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by uranium9v
but i thought mitsu chips were next to impossible to hack into.....he must be full of it... btw he is the Modesto, ca parts guy...Randy i think.....lets all call him and make him admit he is full of ****
www.tmo.com
Old May 30, 2002, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

That is totally different from putting a chip in your car correct?

What about an aftermarket re-mapped ECU, these are all 3 different things right?
Old May 30, 2002, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by broeli
I think 5000 would probably be enough. 5000 cars is usually plenty for all those that would want the car to get it. Most years the Cobra Mustang production was around that #. When I bought my ZX2 S/R (special race package) there were only 2000 madeyet they still seemed readily available.
I think there is a difference in the desirability of the cars. I totally appreciate that the ZX2 was a hot car but how many people knew about it. This will be Mitsubishi’s flagship car. The ZX2 was not pushed by Ford very much. Every car nut I come in contact with, knows about the Evo.

Erik
Old May 30, 2002, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Greddy GS-T! I know you

I'm from Toledo, OH too. Thanks for posting the news.

Can you also find out if he knows what models may be released? RS, RS-II, GSR? (i am most interested in an rs)

Maybe you can give me ride in your Eclipse sometime. Why not post some pics in the members cars forum?

Last edited by otaking; May 30, 2002 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 30, 2002, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

erikgj,
I agree with you. I think the Cobra has just as much if not more demand than the Evo though. Cobras really aren't hard to find on lots and get for under msrp. Same with some of the specialty Mustangs such as the Bullit (6000 made). My local dealer had 5! They were selling them for close to invoice to move them. I am using the Mustang as an example because they are a car with a big following and market.
Old May 30, 2002, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
erikgj,
I agree with you. I think the Cobra has just as much if not more demand than the Evo though. Cobras really aren't hard to find on lots and get for under msrp. Same with some of the specialty Mustangs such as the Bullit (6000 made). My local dealer had 5! They were selling them for close to invoice to move them. I am using the Mustang as an example because they are a car with a big following and market.
But with the Mustang there are many other variations to choose from: 4.6, Cobra, Cobra R. All the used Mustangs also compete for sales. With the Evo there are practically none other than the quantity that Mitsu brings over. The US Lancer is not close enough in performance to be an performance option. The STi and to a slightly lesser extent the WRX are the only other cars in this rally special market.

It will be a highly sought after car. Just look at all the magazines that the Evo VII has appeared in lately and its still a ways before the launch. That’s part of the reason I chose to go with EI and import an RS-II

Erik
Old May 31, 2002, 12:09 AM

I don't think 5000 will be enough, especially considering the WRX sold 24k. I believe the reason most people are buying the WRX is because of the performance for the $. Before this year a 227hp AWD car for $24k was unheard of.

Now the Evo will be 250+/under $30k. Not only that but it is also a bit more visually appealing than the WRX (to me at least...don't mean to open a can of worms!).
Old May 31, 2002, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

The good thing about that...all the rally car fans or just people who wanted performance for less, financed/leased/or paid for a WRX. That makes approx. 24,000 potental Evo buyers who are stuck with the WRX.

Not to mention the ones who can't quite afford the Evo who will have to settle for the WRX.

Lastly, lets not forget about those few diehard Subie fans who will tough it out until the STi makes it here...whenever that is.
Old May 31, 2002, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by yellow_lancer
wow....285 hp?? thats so much for a 4 banger...is the engine going to be stable?? ive only seen the 276 on paper.....and it was hard to believe....285? hmmm and with all that cali emision bs.....i dunno....

FOOL!!! You date defy the heritage set forth by the four bangers. They've got 10 second 4 banging eclipse. I mean, take a normal 2G Turbo, put on a Big 16G, and supporting mods, turn up the boost and its already making 300 right there. Plus it has potential for so much more...but ofcourse need stronger pistons. But I'm talking about 2Gs one of the most ****tiest things to leave the Mitsu dealer lot. The Evo is rally tested, proven for performance and reliabilty. 2G DSM on a rally track would stop working before the second turn.
Old May 31, 2002, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

I agree, but I think he is referring to stock automobiles.

When is the last time you saw a STOCK 285HP 4 banger??

I don't think the U.S. Evo will be quite 285, but it might be close.
Old Jun 1, 2002, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by yellow_lancer
wow....285 hp?? thats so much for a 4 banger...is the engine going to be stable?? ive only seen the 276 on paper.....and it was hard to believe....285? hmmm and with all that cali emision bs.....i dunno....

i have seen higher on a 4 pushing out 600Hp on a Lan-Evo 5. look at buschur He is the fastes 2G Talon, Eclipse in the world 8.03@172.83
Old Jun 1, 2002, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

and read this

from buschur racing

4G63 has proven to be a nearly-bulletproof engine, and can handle tremendous levels of boost, and can be made to generate more than twice the factory horsepower without any modifications to the stock bottom-end or head! With only bolt-on hardware, your car can prove to be one of the fastest street-legal cars in town - capable of out-performing cars with engines of more than 4 times the displacement while still maintaining the drivability and gas mileage that you bought the car for! If you want to take your car to the ultimate level, it can be made to produce more than 600 hp to the GROUND, and can run the 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds at nearly 150 mph!
Old Jun 1, 2002, 12:01 PM

Nicely put!!
Old Jun 2, 2002, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

You probably all saw this already but for those of you who didn't..

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...dl3080ovw.html