Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can I drill out my cf hood to add hood pins?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can I drill out my cf hood to add hood pins?

I have a seibon cf hood and wanted to drill it so I can fit some hood pins. I havent really searched for different types of pins, but was thinking of maybe something like the sparco hood pins. Is it fairly easy to cut out the necessary hole without cracking the cf around it? The stock latching on it sucks so I wanted to use pins and see if I can remove the stock latch from the hood itself as well.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at aerocatch hood latches. Chances are you'll like what you find.

Yes, you can drill the hood. To minimize the chance of fraying mask off the area with something like masking tape, or painter's tape, before you cut/drill. You can glue the edges with super glue or perhaps epoxy to be extra safe after the cut.

Last edited by TSiAWD666; Jul 26, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
after you drill the hole then fill in the edges of the hole with epoxy or super glue so it seals the crack and it does not spread. i have drilled cf parts many of times
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

remember until you pin it don't drive over 120 they are light hoods if the air get's under there just right you may lose the hood!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
remember until you pin it don't drive over 120 they are light hoods if the air get's under there just right you may lose the hood!!!!!!!!!
Thats exactly why. Recently my cf hood has been popping off the latch at the autox event. I know for certain that its not my leg hitting the release in any way. Its just that those hoods are so light. Luckily auto x events arent so fast that my hood will fly off, but I do plan on track day events in the future so I need to sort these sort of things out.
Thanks for the info evryone, I will look into the aerocatch.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless its dry CF - it weighs the same or more than the OE Al hood. Its the engine latch if its popping up.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Mines a wet seibon and it weights less you can feel the difference when you pull up the hood. The trunk too it flings open with the stock trunk springs.

It's common for the CF hoods to pop open most people I know run with hood pins, and I stand by them you can never be too safe.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
Possibly the life of the person behind you. That's one reason why I would rather stay with the oem hood.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

the seibon hoods dont have problems with popping up it uses the factory hinge...i havent had a problem with mine
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Unless its dry CF - it weighs the same or more than the OE Al hood. Its the engine latch if its popping up.
I had this problem with the CF hood on my eclipse, the frame was fiberglass and so was the latch I used hood pins and glad I did because after a while the latch completely broke off!!!! Just from opening and closing. I would ALWAYS USE hood pins, no matter what speed you drive!!!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:07 PM

i had the areocatch hood pins on my talon that had a cf hood and they were just amzaing. you will not be disappointed with them. they are a great product and look way better than the sparco ones in my opinon
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do decide to use hood pins, I would use a dremel to drill a small pilot hole and then slowly enlarge that whole with a dremel cutting bit. Thats what i used and it worked awesome. If you use drill bits, I have seen them chip away at the gel coat at the edge of the hole and then that starts to slowly chip away more and more causing fading and cracking.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

would it mess up the stock hood if u drilled it for nipple rings
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ya what the guy in POST 12 says. You don't drill CF, it cracks. Use a dremel.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

I am a firm believer in hood pins.. I had a brand new seibon flip up on me 2 days after I installed it, using the oem hood latch which worked fine. On a freeway at 70 kmph it popped up, cracked my windshield and creased my roof.

I ran Aerocatch pins twice after that, and love them.

Quick Reply: can I drill out my cf hood to add hood pins?