Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Air Condition Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Condition Question

2.5 years and I have never used the AC. Yesterday I flushed the cooling system, when finished I tested the heat and AC. When I turn the AC on a loud clanking noise starts, the noise is consistant no matter which fan setting. More noticable inside car and annoying. Is this normal? Seems really loud.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Can you tell where it's coming from in the car? Like it's coming from the Glove box area, behind the radio...ect
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:52 PM

Doesn't sound normal. Odd that it's inside the car. Depending on the type of sound, maybe there's a piece of something-or-other in your vents. If you can hear it in the engine bay, check your compressor and/or belts.
Why wouldn't you use the AC for 2.5 years?!?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My car sounds like a Freight Liner at idle with the A/C on. I think it is the throw out bearing rattling. Anyway, I have heard other owners comment on this and their comments are the same. So, if what you are hearing is coming from under the hood and is heard only at idle I'd say it is normal.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

you say you never used the A/C but have you ever used the defrost???? Pretty sure the A/C comes on when you use defrost, I remember a thread talking about that
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

yeah A/C definitely comes on when you use defroster. As for that sound, it does not sound normal at all. maybe post a video of what it sounds like to better troubleshoot it from here
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by generalu
Doesn't sound normal. Odd that it's inside the car. Depending on the type of sound, maybe there's a piece of something-or-other in your vents. If you can hear it in the engine bay, check your compressor and/or belts.
Why wouldn't you use the AC for 2.5 years?!?
I hear it in the engine bay, just hear it more clearly in cabin. Just don't use the AC, very rarely have in any car I've owned.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
My car sounds like a Freight Liner at idle with the A/C on. I think it is the throw out bearing rattling. Anyway, I have heard other owners comment on this and their comments are the same. So, if what you are hearing is coming from under the hood and is heard only at idle I'd say it is normal.
I've heard the throw out bearing rattling sometimes at a stop light or when just warming car up, it only rattles occsionally, press clutch pedal and release it stops rattling. I was thinking also would turning on the AC amplify the bearing ratlling? It was alot louder rattle than what I'm use to hearing from the throw out bearing. I turned the AC on again yesterday, sounded normal, no rattle, turned on and off and would not rattle. Next time I hear the throw at bearing rattling I'm going to turn on AC to see.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berts24
you say you never used the A/C but have you ever used the defrost???? Pretty sure the A/C comes on when you use defrost, I remember a thread talking about that
Yes, the AC comes on in defrost, have used defrost alot, never heard any unuasual sounds.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea that doesnt sound to normal.. if you havnt used ur AC in 2.5 years and just wondering about the noise i really wouldnt worry about it...
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avo3vom
Yes, the AC comes on in defrost, have used defrost alot, never heard any unuasual sounds.
then maybe it's the A/C radiator fan rubbing?? Perhaps you somehow messed something up when did the fluid change?? Since you didn't have this problem before you did that makes me belive something happened when you did the work. I once changed the oil on my girl friend's car and somehow bumped the radiator fan cover just slightly and it was rubbing