Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reinstalling Factory Halogens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reinstalling Factory Halogens

Ok, so I bought my second used Evo with aftermarket HID's. The passanger side was always dimmer than the driver side. I figured it was an issue I could fix later, a bad connection or something. Today, I noticed that the dim side was not working at all. I'm going to swap bulbs tomorrow and see if it's a bulb issue. If not I guess it's either a bad connection or ballast?

My main question is, if I do infact decide to go back to the factory halogens, what's involved? Most aftermarket HID kits are plug an play, correct? So I'd assume that converting it back to factory wouldn't be too difficult if I had to, unless the wiring is all hacked.

Coverting back to facotry halogens is a last resort, but I'd like to keep it an option. I'll mess with the connections and swap bulbs tomorrow and try to find out what the problem is.

At this time, I'm not totally sure what the name brand of the HID's are. Any suggestions in the meantime are welcome

I'll report back tomorrow with what I figure out.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
dafarmer had the name of a good HID company. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

German ones are always better than the knockoffs from Asia.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I..... am an idiot.

I disassemble the entire fron end of my car. Front bumper and headlights come off. I bought some factory 9006 halogen bulbs, put them in annnnnddd, same problem. Passanger side still doesn't work. I'm running around looking for my test light, thinking I'll put my poor electrical diagnosis skills to work when sudden it dawns on me.... why didn't I just check the fuses? Whatya know. 10 amp fuse is blown. I guess the previous owner never upgraded to 20amps. I stole the 10amp fuse from the hazards just to test it and horray!!! Both headlights work!

So, I figure I'll reinstall the HID's. Excited and proud that I fixed and simple probelm, I go to flick on the HID's to see if they work..... nothing. I'm thinking "aww god damn!". Then I remembered, as I was searching about this problem before I made my post, I remember reading that Evo's have reverse polarity. I simply just flipped the plugs and BAM! HID's are back up and running.

Now I just need to buy two 20amp fuses and I'll be golden.

While I had my bumper off I took the time to install my LICP that survived the accident from my old Evo
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well, easy fix there!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, yeah. My stupidity didn't stop there.

I just took the car for a drive a few minutes ago, wondering why my turn signals work. Turns out, I forgot to put the 10amp back in the hazards, so that kept the turn signals from working, hahaha. So I stole a 10 amp from my horn instead until I get some fuses.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Auto parts store - $1
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

We've all had those days.