Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody ever towed their EVO with a U-Haul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are worried about not having enough ground clearance, just buy two 2x6 pieces of lumber that are about 4-6ft in length. Use them to cut the angle of the tralier ramps. They should make the initial rise up onto the ramps gradual enough that the front bumper does not scrape.

SC~who might be in the same boat as dale and gonzo shortly
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

My Evo is lowered and I will be using those U-Haul trailers, hope Secret Chimp's idea will work as long as the car sits on the top fine.. putting it up there shouldn't be a big problem..

I can even take the bumper off before if that would help..

Will let you know guys..
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Hope it works out well and there are no paint chips... Good plan on saving it the miles... This is why I plan to get a small truck and enclosed trailer someday, this, and the fact that I've had the Evo break down on the road too many times and I'd prefer to have a way back if something bad enough happens that I can't fix on my own.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Uhaul trailer works fine. I did it with no problems. If your is really low you might consider taking the bumper off. I used a few 5 ft pieces of board to drive up the ramps.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Norris design evo 7 says, "no".

so does your owners manual.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonzo
That's weird. I'm moving from Maryland to Vegas. But I have to drive there. Its gonna be 2430 miles long. My wife and I are both driving our vehicles. It would have been sweet if the military would ship the cars or at least one car for us. Oh well.
yea that sucks..they will do it for oversea but not conus.... i gotta go to recruiting school from oklahoma to SC..then back to oklahoma then where ever they decide they wanna station me.. but the kool part is they ship my motorcycle as household goods. so my evo and the wrx are about to get some miles put on em....
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

well i just towed my evo(about two months ago) from fort lewis Wa to fort Huachuca AZ using a U-haul trailor behind a U-haul truck. and i didnt get any paint chips but this is what i done. i actually got a car cover for mine and made sure to secure it down very good. and my car was fine when i got to Az but my car sits at stock height and i had about 2-3 inches of clearancein the front pulling up on the trailor so if your car was lowered the pieces of wook would be a must. just my two dimes and a nickel
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so.... there's places inside these U-hauls to strap down the car to the trailer right??? I hope...
You don't want to hit a bump or something and have the car lurch over and nail the wall of the trailer, or go flying out the back. It can happen easy. Especially if you get a wind sheer or something and the trailer sways.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:02 AM

I used a U-Haul trailer to tow my Evolution from Central, Pa to Ohio. It worked great. My Evo was lowered with coilovers.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

First, I'm pretty sure RKT_SHP is referring to an open flat bed trailer. I don't think I've ever seen a U-Haul trailer for rent that will fit a car inside of it.

Second, I'm not certain hauling a car with a car cover on it is a good idea. If you're going to cover your car you need to be certain that both the car cover and the car are perfectly clean. If not the wind buffetting the car cover will basically chafe or sand your nice shiny paint job.

I've towed my Evo on an open trailer, uncovered with no issues.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mazdryk
LET ME GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE!!!!!!! I just recently moved from california to florida. I used a uhaul and a trailor for my kia sportage. Those uhauls kick up a lot of rocks. When i got to florida i noticed all kinds of dings and paint chips from rocks being kicked up in the front of the car. Cover that evo good with something thick because you will get some big chips in the paint if you dont. Dont use a regular car cover. I would use some thick card board and a thick balnket or something. If you dont cover your car plan on repainting it. And about the clearance issues... i have towed a 2000 civic si and also a 1988 mazda rx7, the rx7 sits lower than my evo so you should have no problems.
actually shrinkwrap works better. The problem with cardboard or blankets is that they can chafe against the paint.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

holy old thread batman!!!!! Secret Chimp moved to California about 18 months ago i think.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by memo3
My Evo is lowered and I will be using those U-Haul trailers, hope Secret Chimp's idea will work as long as the car sits on the top fine.. putting it up there shouldn't be a big problem..

I can even take the bumper off before if that would help..

Will let you know guys..
this guy brought it back to life
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

just to put it out there i think that as long as the cover is tight and you put something in there to ge between the paint and the cover on the front. i think you will be fine. i guess i should have mentioned that earlier
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

who the hell re-opened this thread two years after it was opened? haha, this board is getting more and more strange/pathetic every day.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever towed their EVO with a U-Haul trailer?