Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody ever towed their EVO with a U-Haul trailer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever towed their EVO with a U-Haul trailer?

I might be moving from Maryland to New Mexico. I need to move all my household stuff and my EVO. U-Haul has a trailer that keeps all the car wheels off the ground towing behind the U-Haul truck, but their web site says there could be problems with low clearance cars. Anybody have personal experience with trailering their EVO?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

whoa .. long trip ..

can't say i've ever put a car on a U-haul trailer. good luck.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually I wouldn't tow an Evo.. Its all wheel drive, if you have any of the wheels on the ground, you could damage the drivetrain from it rolling.. You need to use tow dollies on the rear wheels and the trailer under the front wheels so none of the wheels is "rolling" when your driving it.. Otherwise you need to trailer or flatbed it.. I think its in the owners manual about how to tow the car if it breaks down.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh.. I thought you were talking about their cheap trailers.. Not their flatbed.. Yes, you can use a trailer, but if its low ground clearance your concerned about, ask them if it can tow a corvette.. If it can, you should be ok.. The problem is getting the car up on the trailer because of the angle of the ramps and the angle of the car to climb up..
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

He's talking about the auto transport w/all four on the trailer.
I talked to U-haul about doing this. Like you said they said there was a clearance issue. They asked me if I wanted to bring my car down to u-haul to see if it would work- I declined and drove to my destination. I'm thinking that the car would high center when the front wheels are on the trailer and the rear wheels are on the ramps. Maybe it would work if the car was loaded with the ramps almost level, like with the ramps on a curb or driveway entrance. Good luck.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry MalibuJack, didn't get to read your post till after I posted.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's weird. I'm moving from Maryland to Vegas. But I have to drive there. Its gonna be 2430 miles long. My wife and I are both driving our vehicles. It would have been sweet if the military would ship the cars or at least one car for us. Oh well.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

LET ME GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE!!!!!!! I just recently moved from california to florida. I used a uhaul and a trailor for my kia sportage. Those uhauls kick up a lot of rocks. When i got to florida i noticed all kinds of dings and paint chips from rocks being kicked up in the front of the car. Cover that evo good with something thick because you will get some big chips in the paint if you dont. Dont use a regular car cover. I would use some thick card board and a thick balnket or something. If you dont cover your car plan on repainting it. And about the clearance issues... i have towed a 2000 civic si and also a 1988 mazda rx7, the rx7 sits lower than my evo so you should have no problems.

Last edited by mazdryk; Oct 10, 2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

My suggestion is drive your Evo and let the Movers move your household stuff. Make some phone calls and look for the cheapest. That way, you'll be able to enjoy driving your Evo and will have some peace of mind. Just my .02
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Heheh - I'd make back some of the cost of the move, and auction off the OPPORTUNITY to drive an EVO on EBAY.

-Josh
Old Oct 11, 2003, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have seen people tow corvettes and 911's with the U-Haul trailer, shouldn't be an issue on the Evo.

But like that guy said, on a long trip like that, cover it with a padded blanket.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the replies, especially the tip about protecting against paint damage. I have 2 cars and 1 truckload of stuff to move. I'll need to tow one car, either the EVO or my Sebring, then fly back to Maryland and drive the other car. Towing the EVO would save it from the mileage and the Sebring convertible is a nice car for a long scenic road trip.

I wonder if the shipping rubbers that Mitsubishi puts on the springs would gain any clearance for the trailer? Guess the real answer is to find the actual trailer and test it. If I can find the right sloping street I can position the trailer lower than the car to help get it loaded.

Anybody know of any EVO's in Roswell, New Mexico?
Old Oct 11, 2003, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dale_K
Anybody know of any EVO's in Roswell, New Mexico?
i live about 3 hours from there and my buddy always drives to the track there and says there is an evo or 2 there!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

I used a u-haul trailor to tow my evo from eastern michigan back to ohio. It was a 3 hour trip and I didn't notice any paint chips or had any ground clearance issues loading and unloading the car. It was cheap too, $88 for 2 days.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by otaking
I used a u-haul trailor to tow my evo from eastern michigan back to ohio. It was a 3 hour trip and I didn't notice any paint chips or had any ground clearance issues loading and unloading the car. It was cheap too, $88 for 2 days.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know from somebody who actually did it.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever towed their EVO with a U-Haul trailer?