Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

new gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new gauge cluster

cant seem to find the answer to this. my gauge cluster plastic cracked so i orderd a new one. from what this shop told me in most cars the miles will be in the cluster itself and if you change it it will show a new mileage number. if this happens will there be a warning light that turns on or a tamper thing? also can i get it changed back to my actual milage?
ps. a local shop was doing the swap for free now they want to charge me they already tossed the old cluster. would I be able to drive it home without a cluster and not have a tamper light come on or anything like that from driving without a cluster hooked up? please help.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

wow why isnt it free anymore
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I *believe* that the dealer can reprogram the mileage in with the MUT software. Not 100% on that.

And secondly, a reputable shop should have given you a statement saying the old cluster had X mileage and was changed of X date. You would show that at time of sale to prove the actual mileage on the car.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:16 AM

If you don't get it changed, depending on the mileage difference of the two clusters, carfax could / would flag it. What are the two mileage numbers?

Last edited by ashills; Aug 2, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

i took it there because its owned by a friend of a friend and he said he would just do it for me no charge now they are just saying they never said it would be free. i told them i will do it myself, but i will ask them for a letter on how manny miles i had.

the car also has 79xxx the new cluster has 102xxx, i guess thats why i got it so cheep

anyone know about a tamper light? i will probably end up getting a different cluster later on. i read somewhere online they can move the mileage up but never down.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:55 AM

had my cluster switched out by mitsu dealer, they had to send it out to another company to have the mileage from the old cluster to the new one. had to do it twice. first time the speedometer wouldnt move until i got over 15mph, second one they sent the fuel guage didnt work. took a few days to get it reprogrammed each time.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

there's a company that specializes on building toyota trucks i.e. rock crawlers, and if you send your cluster there, they can reflash the mileage -- unfortunately i'd have to look them up, as i don't remember their name.