Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling the car out of state? How to recieve payment from another party's bank?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling the car out of state? How to recieve payment from another party's bank?

Hey guys.
If someone wants to buy my car from another state, what is the proper procedure for it? He will be financing the car. I will have to ship it to him. I believe that credit unions need to see the car first before thay approve the loan, thats how it was with me.
Anyway, if someone has experience with this type of sale and can give me an advice that would be great. I just want to know how do I get paid, and when is it safe to ship the car? For example: if his cred union will want the car or the title first, whats safer - if any. None of this sounds good to me but maybe thats how it works. I would like to recieve full payment before I ship the car or the title - is this possible? Thanks guys
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
people dont be stupid about this. You DO NOT NEED TO SHIP THE CAR. there are too many scams going on now and days. The bank does not need to see the car you can give them pics of the car etc most dont care. They are only going to give you what they see fit anyways he needs to come pick up the car and you need to get paid FIRST PERIOD. once you get the funds you need to desposit the funds in your account for at least 1 week. you should really only accept cash transaction but a CERTIFIED CASHIERS CHECK is the ONLY WAY TO GO BUT EVEN WITH that they can bounce but if you let it sit one week to two weeks for it to clear the your ok. I have seen people copy cerfied checks and they bounce in two days and your forced to accept that lost of car. So if you take the cerfied check then wait one-two weeks before car is shipped or he picks it up. but best way is a cash only transaction and they get the car so you can get his information and pics of him etc you never know. I sold my eclipse sypder i modded to a guy in Cali last christmas so i know he had no issues with cash transaction and picking up the car. Really want to avoid shipping man seriously cause once its gone its gone. AND another thing please dont believe the scam of i give you extra money in check and you pay shipper and send the rest back to me scam as well Good luck any more questions just ask i have sold serveral of my shows cars so i know

Last edited by RockmanX; Aug 1, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

i've never had a credit union need to look at any of my cars that i have financed with them for preapp or approval. only insurance people eye ball the cars thru state farm.

in any event when i bought my evo, i just met the guy in illinois to (i'm from missouri) and i did a wire transfer from my bank to his bank ($15 fee). took about a half and hour for him to receive the funds, due to the feds going over everything for the amount of money that i transferred.

as far as shipping, make the buyer pay or make them pick it up. i've never shipped any cars or trucks, only motorcycles -- with great success.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

escrow.com
thats how i bought/paid for my current car.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I agree, anyone who is serious about buying the car, would get pics, year, make, model, VIN #.

And contact their bank, the bank would make a decision, cut a check on what they think, or what you are selling, or even what he is approved for.

Then he needs to fly, or drive to you, and take it. That's all their is to it, that's why people make road trips across country sometimes for the car they want.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking about the wire transfer being one of the best options. We'll see how it all works out.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:10 PM

yah be very careful...a lot of scams out there these days. i knew a guy who fell for one and lost his 04 corolla for it and couldn't do anything about it. be careful and goood luck
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:11 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never ship a car without payment.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
just have the guy come pick it up with cash or a certified money order, the credit union or bank really doesnt need to see th car, and if they do go to one around your area and let them look at it, thats what i did when i got my car financed through wells fargo, i just had the previous owner drive the car to the wells fago nearest to him and they looked at it
Old Aug 2, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I had the buyer of my S2000 overnight a certified cashier's check from his bank, had my bank call his to verify it was real, then waited until my bank confirmed it cleared before shipping the car. I wanted him to just wire the funds from his bank to mine but for some reason he couldn't do that.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

i dont know about in other states but in mi the bank has to have the title so they can fund the money.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my evo from a guy in FL. My credit union only needed all the info on the car, VIN, miles etc. I overnighted the check, he wanted to wait till clear to ship it and I told him I was fine with that, only took two days if that. I was going to fly down and get it but he said he would split the shipping costs of $500 with me, I said deal because of the cost of the plane ticket and gas it would have been more than $250
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:05 PM

My credit union in socal needed to look at the car, just to be sure everything was good condition. Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keep the insurance policy in effect till you have money in hand or when check cleared bank.
after the check clears wait about at least one week till you cancel the policy.
this way if you do get scammed, you can report to insurance company and be covered for the scam.