Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo top end?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z I can see losing to at high speeds but not to an S4. 350Z has more power and less powertrain loss. S4 might have bi-turbo but its also awd too(meaning powertrain HP loss). The bi-turbo doesnt help much for topend either, thats why Twin turbo Supra's are swapping for single turbo's.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

How can a 270 HP (around 230TQ) NSX (91-96) beat a 271 HP, 273 TQ EVO on top end?????????? AeroDynamics, high RPM HP that actually makes it to the ground, Weight, and gearing, and that goes for any car!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Our cars aren't the most aerodynamic at high speed.. with my exhaust upgrade I can easily stay with a 2003 M3 up until you hit ludicrous speed.. at that point our aerodynamics means we'd need exponentially more horsepower to accelerate at the same rate..

Our cars just were not designed for top end, there's a significant amount of drag and the nose isn't designed to cut through the wind in the most efficient manner, in fact, its designed to funnel air through the intercooler opening..
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:23 PM
In Timeout

True I had my NSX upto 174 before. I also know that the evo will kill the NSX to 100, after that the NSX will WALK it. But to be honest even on the track you don't get over 130ish.

Originally posted by SAEVO
How can a 270 HP (around 230TQ) NSX (91-96) beat a 271 HP, 273 TQ EVO on top end?????????? AeroDynamics, high RPM HP that actually makes it to the ground, Weight, and gearing, and that goes for any car!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

are you saying the nsx cant beat the Evo- or that it can?

lol cuz ive also raced an nsx on the highway.. and lemme tell ya. it wasnt pretty.. i didnt have anything on him. - maybe off the line i could take him, but at 80 and above forget it.

Saevo said that its not the torque that matters but Hp.. but i dont think thats accurate.
now im the first to state i dont know much about mechanics/ how engines work. but i think ppl automatically assume that acceleration/ power is directly tied to how much hp your car has. and obviously thats a misconception. there are alot of factors involved.
saying the evo should be faster than the s4 stock for stock in all catorgories is a prime example of this flawed thinking. according to the numbers, yes a 271 evo should beat the 250 hp s4 even on topend, right? WRONG. and i know this from real life exp.

i did a little bit of research on the net.. and i found this article. i think it kinda proves what im talking about- that we are lacking the torque having a 4 cyl vs. the torque of a 6 cyl... unless im not understanding it correctly.. here take a look.
http://www.dynacam.com/Product/Torqu...orsepower.html

defining that torque is, the article says: "Torque is the measurement of the strength of the rotational movement and determines how fast a car, boat, or airplane accelerates up to a required speed. "
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:26 PM
In Timeout

0-100 the evo should win, after that the NSX pulls pretty well to 140 then 140 to 175 took me about 30 seconds with the car at WOT. I did kill the S351 though :-)

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

lol cuz ive also raced an nsx on the highway.. and lemme tell ya. it wasnt pretty.. i didnt have anything on him. - maybe off the line i could take him, but at 80 and above forget it.

Saevo said that its not the torque that matters but Hp.. but i dont think thats accurate.
now im the first to state i dont know much about mechanics/ how engines work. but i think ppl automatically assume that acceleration/ power is directly tied to how much hp your car has. and obviously thats a misconception. there are alot of factors involved.
saying the evo should be faster than the s4 stock for stock in all catorgories is a prime example of this flawed thinking. according to the numbers, yes a 271 evo should beat the 250 hp s4 in all catorgories right? WRONG. and i know this from real life exp.

i did a little bit of research on the net.. and i found this article. i think it kinda proves what im talking about- that we are lacking the torque having a 4 cyl vs. the torque of a 6 cyl... unless im not understanding it correctly.. here take a look.

defining that torque is, the article says: "Torque is the measurement of the strength of the rotational movement and determines how fast a car, boat, or airplane accelerates up to a required speed. "
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:28 PM
In Timeout

Also my NSX put 257 @ 7700 RPM to the wheels, a SC NSX does about 340-400 depending on the SC. Some Turbo NSX's now are doing over 500HP but there are only about 10 of them :-)
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:29 PM
In Timeout

Also Our cars power SUCKS after 5000 where you really need it. I think some of the computer with the turbos will fix that, you want peak power at redline and it going up from 3000 - 7500 not this double hump crap.

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

saying the evo should be faster than the s4 stock for stock in all catorgories is a prime example of this flawed thinking. according to the numbers, yes a 271 evo should beat the 250 hp s4 even on topend, right? WRONG. and i know this from real life exp.

Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

You must be delusional!!! the S351 didnt want to race i bet . No way an evo can smoke a S351 with :

Engine
351 cubic inch (5.8L) Saleen Centrifugal Supercharged
OHV 90 degree V-8

Horsopower
495 @ 5400 rpm
Torque
490 feet pounds @ 3500 rpm

do you know what kind of 1/4 mile times a cobra with 390hp with pully upgrades, chip and exhaust pulled??? 11.7 at 122 mph.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:33 PM
In Timeout

TOP SPEED I won. the s351 will only do about 165 I think. It was a LONG *** RACE over 3 min on the interstate and I will never do it again. scary as hell.

http://www.angelfire.com/ab/pvj60/mustang.html

Originally posted by 909
You must be delusional!!! the S351 didnt want to race i bet . No way an evo can smoke a S351 with :

Engine
351 cubic inch (5.8L) Saleen Centrifugal Supercharged
OHV 90 degree V-8

Horsopower
495 @ 5400 rpm
Torque
490 feet pounds @ 3500 rpm

do you know what kind of 1/4 mile times a cobra with 390hp with pully upgrades, chip and exhaust pulled??? 11.7 at 122 mph.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Torque is important throughout the powerband, but as the rotation of the engine increases, the effect of torque is less dramatic (And mathematically torque falls off while horsepower generally will climb) and the curves will overlap at 5250 (I think is the magic number)

Don't forget, Their both measurements of power, torque is the ability to move an object from a slower speed to a faster speed, and horsepower is generally the power required to maintain that speed.

THe answer is that its generally true that you still need to be making torque, otherwise you can't accelerate to a greater speed... IE Terminal velocity (which is where the horsepower measurements come into play, higher horsepower is a higer terminal velocity) RPM Monsters (rotary engines) may not make alot of torque, but they can rev higher and the horsepower is higher in the RPM band, gearing is what converts the energy of the engines rotation into usable forward motion..

Thats why a dyno uses some form of braking device.. But the dyno reads the amount of horsepower required to maintain a particular load at a particular RPM, and most of its calculations are calculated based on RPM vs Power, with corrections..

Ok.. I'm a bit groggy from medication so I'm either rambling, or slightly off on some of the facts.. But I think most of what I said is fairly sound..
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GREDDY
The EVO should be just a fast or faster then an S4 top end, stock for stock.
Having had two S4 sedan's I can tell you that the S4's strength is from 80mph up. Stock for stock the S4 is stronger on the top end than the Evo. With mods like Dp's, catback, Ecu, and Dv's the S4 will run close to 180. I have personally seen 165 in one of mine.

Running a leaner fuel map in the Evo really provides a lot more pull on the top, helping even things out. At the end of the day, displacement has its place in top end acceleration.

N10S
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

having owned an S4 too, I did not find the top end that fast.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GREDDY
having owned an S4 too, I did not find the top end that fast.
My 01 had a Milltek cat-back, Abt Ecu, Forge Dv's, and a tanoga shifter, and I saw 165 and still had some pedal when I came to my senses and let off the accelerator. It is what it is......and the S4 is deceptively fast.

N10S
Old Oct 11, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm talking about stock for stock. Not modified to stock. I think the EVO modified would be a good match too.

Quick Reply: Evo top end?