Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo top end?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by N10S

<snip>
I never enjoyed the S4 as a "fun" car to drive though because it tended to isolate you from the road and driving experience too much. This is where the Evo shines, and also why it is in my garage instead of a modded S4. It was a high-speed bullet though, thats for sure, and one of the best interiors around.
My sentiments exactly! I just took my Evo for a spirited run this weekend up through some of the roads that cut across the Shenandoah range in central Virginia. I took Rt 33 west from Rt 29, north up Rt340 and back east across Rt 211. Routes 33 and 211 are beautiful switchback roads that are double lanes going uphill and run at least 5 miles up to the ridge and another 5 back down. I was able to run up those mountain roads like I was never, ever able to do in my old chipped S4. I was in heaven and fully realized what a friggin incredible car the Evo is. If an S4 was trying to follow it would have been left in the dust or in a tree.

These roads are probably the closest thing we have on the east coast to a canyon run like what they have out west. I Highly recommend them if you're driving through Virginia.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:55 AM

get mbc and safc... that eliminate the problem
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I can set your EVO up with some goodies to make it hold near peak horsepower up beyond 8k rpm.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 13, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

since i started the thread, i dont feel bad about changing the subject

anyone else install the HKS SS BOV? my car is idling kinda low now and stumbles sometimes. sometimes when it stumbles it will even stall. ( it only happened once or twice so far). i think ive seen a few threads on this- but anyone know anything about it? i thought i read something about a grounding kit to fix the problem.

thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

just dont' blow off on high RPM's and leaving it in netural afterwards.. Btw how did you get a Cold air intake?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 02:34 PM

Factors:
Aerodynamics (so so)
Gearing (geared more for autoX / rally than Autobahn)
Displacement (Evo has less than an S4 or 350z)
HP is generally associated with displacement
Old Oct 13, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JaReDbOy: thats the problem if your BOV is VTA ! you can either vent back to intake(like the stock BOV setup) or get a HKS SAFR like me.(NO more stalling problem).

trustz
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

my bov is setup as recirc.

think the HKS s-afr will really help?

so im guessing its not electrical, but rather something with the MAF sensor and therefore the s-afr will solve it - not the grounding kit? or both. lol

hmmm im just thinking of something.. has anyone seen inside the MAF sensor this little flimsey sheetmetal or aluminum grill with honeycomb shaped holes in it?

do you know what that is? if it were damaged, would that affect the MAF sensor readings therefore causing the idle/stumbling?

lol ill explain what im talking about after i get an answer
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:54 PM

so from what i hear an safc or dynoflash or some form of piggybag ecu will unleash all that lost power for the top end?would it make such a diff as in someone said that they got walked by a 350z, be able to NOW walk the 350z on top end? is it because the evo runs really rich and the car needs to be leaned out?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 09:10 PM

I haven't read through the entire thread, and I don't know if your question has been throughly answered yet. But just to let you know AWD cars have HORRIBLE topend, simply because of the drivetrain loss, and the weight. On top of that the evo's gearing is made for quick 0-60 acceleration.

The stock 16g turbo has quick spool up, but lacks the top end punch. The only way you can achieve a big difference in top end is changing to a bigger turbo. I'm not sure what sized injectors are in EVO's, but if you have at least 550's go get yourself a 20g or FP green turbo for around $1000. Of course a full turboback exhaust is recommended if you dont already have one. It will be laggy, you won't have that quick snap once you hit the throttle, but you'll get that PULL you want.

If you want even more topend..... get CAMS, HKS 264/272 combo seems to make a huge difference for the 4g63.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like heaven!!! Topend bad or good, I just love the evo's confidence and grace around corners. I wish we had places like that near NY.

Originally posted by propellerhead

My sentiments exactly! I just took my Evo for a spirited run this weekend up through some of the roads that cut across the Shenandoah range in central Virginia. I took Rt 33 west from Rt 29, north up Rt340 and back east across Rt 211. Routes 33 and 211 are beautiful switchback roads that are double lanes going uphill and run at least 5 miles up to the ridge and another 5 back down. I was able to run up those mountain roads like I was never, ever able to do in my old chipped S4. I was in heaven and fully realized what a friggin incredible car the Evo is. If an S4 was trying to follow it would have been left in the dust or in a tree.

These roads are probably the closest thing we have on the east coast to a canyon run like what they have out west. I Highly recommend them if you're driving through Virginia.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JaReDbOy
hey all!

i just came back from my friends house where we installed my HKS SS BOV and HKS cold air intake.
i was just in my evo for about 3 hours on the highway. either the mods really helped alot, or i was just being too hard on it b4 by saying it didnt have ballz,-- cuz my car felt pretty good.

or maybe its cuz i didnt race an s4 lol-- i gotta get together with my friend again and see how i do.

the BOV is amazing.. it just sounds sooo sick.

how much hp increase do you think im seeing from the cold air intake?
Umm......

How do you have a cold air intake, but yet you have no standalone engine management?

Since when did any company start making a cold air intake for the Evo 8? Please tell me APC is not going to come out with parts for our car.

Josh
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

So you are all saying that a 350Z is quicker than an Evolution VIII above 100km/h (60mph)? Is this true for all the Evolution VIIIs or just the US spec? I find it hard to believe (though if some of you have raced and been beaten by 350zs I have to believe it) two cars with the same power (slightly less for US spec VIII), similar weight, and the VIII with more torque would have very different top end acceleration. The 350z is geared higher but 100km/h (60mph) isn't that fast (on a track and compared to their top speeds anyway. And that is relative, I wouldn't want to crash at 100km/h).

350Z | US VIII | JDM VIII
Power: 206kW | 202kW | 206kW
@ 6200rpm | 6500rpm | 6500rpm
Torque: 363Nm | 370Nm | 392Nm
@ 4800rpm | 3500rpm | 3500rpm
Weight: 1463kg | 1480kg | 1410kg

Well after finding that info the 350z and US spec VIII are closer than I thought so maybe I could believe that. What about the Japanese spec?

Aston
Old Oct 14, 2003, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 909
Sounds like heaven!!! Topend bad or good, I just love the evo's confidence and grace around corners. I wish we had places like that near NY.

You must be in the NYC cause there are some places in upstate NY that have some windy back roads.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostmiser
Factors:

HP is generally associated with displacement
Actually torque is more associated with displacement.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com

Quick Reply: Evo top end?