Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo top end?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just head to the adirondack park. You'll have plenty of great roads and scenery.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

All this talk of top speed. How many people actually pony up the few bucks it takes to really find out what there top speed is? certified?

http://www.nasatx.com/highspeed.asp
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Mine pulls hard to redline. In fact my dad drove my evo for the first time and was extremely impressed just between 75-100. Top
speed low 150 ish, stupid, stupid, pretty much stupid unless on a track. Pulled much harder then my wrx did at those speeds!
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Tracer
Mine pulls hard to redline. In fact my dad drove my evo for the first time and was extremely impressed just between 75-100. Top
speed low 150 ish, stupid, stupid, pretty much stupid unless on a track. Pulled much harder then my wrx did at those speeds!
i think we all felt that way when we first got the car... maybe we're just getting used to the power... i dunno.

ok second thing.

my cold air intake is from HKS.. it might be for the evo 7.. im not really sure-- my mechanic friend got the parts for me and helped me install them.

the intake was expensive. about 300.. hope its worth it.

lastly- what do you mean how do i have an intake installed without having standalone engine management?

i wasnt aware you needed that to run a cold air intake...

my next mod is gonna be exhaust i think...
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:25 PM

Looks like all of you had disregarded my post..... and still sitting here wondering "how in the hell can I get more topend?....displacement? weight?"

Your EVO isn't the civic that you guys use to drive, it's got a turbo, it can be swapped out believe it or not, and with your FMIC and 550cc injectors, achieving top end is just a matter of swapping out to a bigger turbo and putting in CAMS.

And to answer the guy's 350z vs. EVO top end.... the 350z pulls harder on top end because there's not as much drive train loss, and the 16g doesn't have enough top end umph whereas the 350z is 3.5L with obviously a more linear torque curve.

And COLD AIR intake??? turbo cars rarely use cold air intakes in fact I wasn't aware that the EVO has one made for it. No you don't need a standalone, the MAF will automatically richen up as it senses the car is inducting more air. And yes throttle response and slightly better top end power is gained with the filter. The idiot that said you didn't gain any HP yet because you didn't "tweak it"....is an idiot. ANd you are too no offense.... installing the intake on a 4g63 is VERY easy, just takes a wrench and a screw driver.

Oh yea, forgot to mention that I got my filter for 40 bucks, and the intake pipe.... I made myself from using home depot ABS 3" plastic pipes...for $15. It works just as well if not better than those $300 intake kits that you people get.

Holy bajeezus....

Last edited by NskGenakuDuckie; Oct 14, 2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie

Oh yea, forgot to mention that I got my filter for 40 bucks, and the intake pipe.... I made myself from using home depot ABS 3" plastic pipes...for $15. It works just as well if not better than those $300 intake kits that you people get.

Holy bajeezus....
That ABS plastic is a bad idea.The engine bay is way too hot for that stuff. Read some of the posts in the Talon Digest and learn why.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

my cold air intake is from HKS.. it might be for the evo 7.. im not really sure-- my mechanic friend got the parts for me and helped me install them.

Ok, I know what you are talking about now. The HKS Suction Kit. That isn't cold air intake. Cold air intake on these cars is where you remove the MAS and run standalone for air/fuel mix instead of metering the air. You also plumb the intake outside of the engine bay, hence the "cold air" illusion.

It's rather silly to say cold air when talking about a turbo car anyway, because do you think that air is cold after it leaves the compressor? That extra 20 degrees of coolness won't help once it is compressed and then fed alongside a 1200 degree F exhaust manifold.

If cold air was truely effective, there would be no need for intercoolers.

"Cold Air" is simply a term used to describe where the air comes from, engine bay or external to the car.

Sorry for the confustion.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JaReDbOy
now im the first to state i dont know much about mechanics/ how engines work.
i believe early on i stated i dont know much about mechanics.
still i apologize to everyone for incorrectly identifying my intake as a cold air intake.

lol, im new to working on cars- im learning as i go- my evo is the first car i ever started working. NskGenakuDuckie dont ya think its kinda strong to call me an idiot- sorry not all of us know "everything" about cars like u do

or maybe you dont, if 90GSX-03EVO was right with his post about the ABS plastic....
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

And COLD AIR intake??? turbo cars rarely use cold air intakes in fact I wasn't aware that the EVO has one made for it. No you don't need a standalone, the MAF will automatically richen up as it senses the car is inducting more air. And yes throttle response and slightly better top end power is gained with the filter. The idiot that said you didn't gain any HP yet because you didn't "tweak it"....is an idiot. ANd you are too no offense.... installing the intake on a 4g63 is VERY easy, just takes a wrench and a screw driver.
You shouldn't call people names, especially calling someone an idiot when you disprove yourself at the ASE Certified Master Mechanic/4G63 Technician of the year. If you know so much about the 4G63, why do you think it has a MAF? I have only seen it called a MAS, ever since the ........hehe........1990 GSX.

Ever hear of the "Hacked MAS Mod" from the 1Gen DSM's? Ever hear it called the "Hacked MAF Mod"?.......I haven't.

I'm at a loss for words because I won't stoop to name calling.....
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

And while I am at it, he knew more than you realized. Ever had to re-adjust an S-AFC after adding an open element air filter to a 4G63? I know I had to. Fuel cut comes on a little bit earlier in the DSM's when you do. That would constitute "tweaking" wouldn't it? Same principal applies on the Evo, but the MAS does a better job of sorting it out, still not perfect, though.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

are u shifting around 6500rpm?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:31 PM

First off sorry for calling you and the other guy an idiot, but I came on this forum very excited and just ended up being disappointed because MOST people that own this great car seems to know nothing about cars.

About the ABS plastic thing, it's on the DSM FAQ. ABS plastic can withstand the engine temp, it's been on my car for over a year now, no signs of melting or anything.

About the MAF thing, I've heard people calling it a MAS and MAF, I just happened to put MAF.

I just came on so strong because I offered some good advice, yet, everybody is still clueless or seemingly clueless. Kinda frustrating. I don't know if there are any oldschool dsm guys here, seems like 90gsx-evo8 is one of them, but you should know where I'm coming from. I'm kinda getting this feeling EVO8 owners are just kids that watched too much 2222222 fasttttttttttttt...2222222 furiouzzzzzzzzzzzzzz But regardless sorry for my rude name calling
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if there are any oldschool dsm guys here, seems like 90gsx-evo8 is one of them, but you should know where I'm coming from.

This is my third 4G63T powered car.

I thought that when I first got here, too. Don't worry. Lots of the DSM guys simply don't have an Evo in their budget. I was FORTUNATE enough to be able to get one.

This site will grow on you after a while.

P.S.:

Buschur Racing, Pruven, Mach V, and a few other famous names are on here all the time.

The ABS plastic thing. It isn't that it will melt, it was something about the plastic will get hot enough to release harmful fumes that could damage the internals of your engine/kill you if you breathe them.

If you used Schedule 80 (the gray stuff) it is stronger, although Schedule 40 (thick white) will resist the melting. I just don't know about the fules part. Maybe that is why you flew off the handle earlier??Too much huffing on your intake?? Just kidding.

Since you are new to the forum, you should check out some of the Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain threads. We can always use some good old past era DSM know how in there.

True this forum has a lot of newbies, both to the platforms and to car tuning in general, but you will see some familiar faces and LOTS of familiar modifications from days of the past.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

It's rather silly to say cold air when talking about a turbo car anyway, because do you think that air is cold after it leaves the compressor? That extra 20 degrees of coolness won't help once it is compressed and then fed alongside a 1200 degree F exhaust manifold.

If cold air was truely effective, there would be no need for intercoolers.
Don't spread that misinformation. Yes, actually, having 20 degree cooler intake air will help.

Regarding plastic in the intake; what do you think most of the stock intake system is comprised of? Granted an ABS intake pipe will be closer to the turbo but I find it highly unlikely that it's going to melt if that's your suggestion. I've checked my own 4" aluminum intake pipe and I don't think it's getting hot enough to melt plastic. There is plastic on the CAS which is very close to the manifold and head.

FYI, if you wanted more top end power, I made a suggestion of previously unadvertised level of modification we are now able to offer to pick up much more top end power. There are several customers doing this right now along with just about everything else at once.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:13 PM

Well thanks for the kind support 90gsx-evo8, I got so frustrated because previously I was interested in the 240sx, but after going on their forum SO many kids asking about drifting and the sr20det swap just drove me to literally not wanting that car anymore. I just thought this was history repeating itself.

About the fumes thing, I don't know about that, thanks for the warning though. Would you happen to be a member of DSMTALK? What's your username there? The EVO is a part of the DSM family, and one of the saying is "DSMs....turning ordinary people into mechanics".

I'm no mechanic, before I bought my car I couldn't even do an oil change, but after a few months I try to install everything in my car because the 4g63 is so easy to work with. Also it seems like the only job done right is the job done by yourself.

Cooler air is certainly better, but except for my friend's VW golf 1.8T using a CAI I've never heard of turbo cars with cold air intakes. What you could do is fabricate heat shields to block off the exhaust manifold and turbo from the intake, and/or use heat wraps and wrap up everything. Your engine compartment won't look pretty, but that is the best way for your intake to breath in cooler air. The difference in power on a cold morning, and a hot summer afternoon feels like day and night on a turbocar, timing gets pulled like crazy, so cold air does indeed matter.

Quick Reply: Evo top end?