Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo top end?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Buschur said it best with his coment about the AEM intake for the Evo. In a nutshell, he said that the heatshield that they send with the car would not help realistically. It is going to get hot, either through compression once inside the turbo, or through radiation/convection of heat from other hot parts on the car. A friend of mine has a WRX with the AEM cold air intake for that car......and yes, it extends down to around the fender well. The filter is no longer in the engine bay. He wasn't very happy with the unit. He said it made him lose top end pull. Now, he might just be using a butt dyno, I am uncertain, but it stands to be the same as my previous theory.

True, colder air is better, but when dealing with a turbo motor, your best bet is to try to cool it after the turbo, before the intake manifold.

And to clarify the statement about the 20 degree difference that I posted......

I know that our cars will run better if the air is 70 degrees versus 90 degrees. However, I don't see a difference when it is 200 degrees and 220. This would simulate an engine bay that has a snorkel feednig external air into it. I don't know if I am getting my point across.

Ah, oh well.

Pissing contest over.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

hey! i am not kid that mommy and daddy bought an evo for. i happen to be 22- its just that this is the first really fast import i am able to afford. the reason why im starting off slow and taking my time to learn/do mods is because its my only daily driver( i dont know anyone my age that goes to school and can afford an evo/insurance/GAS for the evo/ and spend a ton of money on mods. what happens if i screw something up? IM screwed! then i cant get to work to make money for the evo/insurance/GAS/MODs

make sense?

ok ive decided to switch the topic back to the top end discussion once again its my forum and i'll change if i want to

im wondering what "goodies" QuantumEvo is referring to?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MalibuJack

Don't forget, Their both measurements of power, torque is the ability to move an object from a slower speed to a faster speed, and horsepower is generally the power required to maintain that speed.
Torque is not a measurement of power. It is a measurement of torque.

A car will accelerate at a rate determined by the amount of torque it has at the wheels. This works at all RPMs and all speeds.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO
If you know so much about the 4G63, why do you think it has a MAF? I have only seen it called a MAS, ever since the ........hehe........1990 GSX.

Ever hear of the "Hacked MAS Mod" from the 1Gen DSM's? Ever hear it called the "Hacked MAF Mod"?.......I haven't.
I use the two terms interchangably. I've always heard more people call it a MAF than MAS, anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

I use the two terms interchangably. I've always heard more people call it a MAF than MAS, anyway.
Agreed!

MAS= Mass Airflow Sensor
MAF (senosr)= Mass Air Flow (sensor)

MAF is more correct...

MAF - mass airflow
MAP - manifold absolute pressure ( used with standalones usually)
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Torque is not a measurement of power. It is a measurement of torque.

I guess it may help them visualize if you call torque a measurement of force; twisting force in this case.
Torque is how hard you can twist on that stuck nut with your ratchet.
Power is a combination of how fast and how hard you can spin that sucker off there once it's loose.

Regarding the goodies; keep an eye on my webstore; notably the engine section.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by JaReDbOy
hey! i am not kid that mommy and daddy bought an evo for. i happen to be 22- its just that this is the first really fast import i am able to afford. the reason why im starting off slow and taking my time to learn/do mods is because its my only daily driver( i dont know anyone my age that goes to school and can afford an evo/insurance/GAS for the evo/ and spend a ton of money on mods. what happens if i screw something up? IM screwed! then i cant get to work to make money for the evo/insurance/GAS/MODs

make sense?

ok ive decided to switch the topic back to the top end discussion once again its my forum and i'll change if i want to

im wondering what "goodies" QuantumEvo is referring to?
Jaredboy, first of all thanks for being a good sport despite me calling you an idiot, and I know where you're coming from, because I was once just like you. My car is the only source of transportation, and also I am cheap. And that is EXACTLY the reason why i choose to work on the car myself if possible.

Almost every place I've taken my car to get fixed or for installation they have messed something up. And they don't make sure everything is nice and perfect....simply because it's not their own car, why would they care? Not to mention the ridiculous labor charges.

Only things I wouldn't do myself are things like clutch install, brake install, or internal work. Other things are easy as pie, get a knowledgable dsm buddy to show you around the engine compartment, or even just stare in there for a good 10 mins and try to figure out what everything is. Pretty soon you'll be installing whatever mods you get and be glad that you did it yourself.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie

And they don't make sure everything is nice and perfect....simply because it's not their own car, why would they care?
Not everyone is like that although most are; yes. That is one of the reasons I started Quantum in the first place.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

IF you push the intercooler spray while moving at top end speeds the evo pulls very hard. Feel free to comment in my Intercooler science page at http://www.CarPhoto.net
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good point.. No better use for the intercooler spray than sustained high speed driving..
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

It makes a nice door stop when you get a larger FMIC.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Back to the temp of our EVO CAI(cold air intake) and HAI(hot air intake). I drove about 40 highway miles in my car, stoped at home let it idle, pulled into the garage and parked. When I opened the hood the metal ring on the tip and on the base of the new open element air filter was very cold(outside temp was around 55). Then I felt the I/C pipe that goes into the throttle body. It was cool to the touch. OK, so I try the same thing today but in stop and go traffic and shutting it down for 30 min. and then restarting and driving back home. When I get home I do the same thing as before. The air intake is cold (74 outside temp) and the I/C pipe is cool. So my point is, I know that we get cool air over into that front corner. My I/C pipe was warm/normal temp but now I have the buschur stage 2 kit. It lets more air flow into the bay.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie

Jaredboy, first of all thanks for being a good sport despite me calling you an idiot, and I know where you're coming from, because I was once just like you. My car is the only source of transportation, and also I am cheap. And that is EXACTLY the reason why i choose to work on the car myself if possible.

Almost every place I've taken my car to get fixed or for installation they have messed something up. And they don't make sure everything is nice and perfect....simply because it's not their own car, why would they care? Not to mention the ridiculous labor charges.

Only things I wouldn't do myself are things like clutch install, brake install, or internal work. Other things are easy as pie, get a knowledgable dsm buddy to show you around the engine compartment, or even just stare in there for a good 10 mins and try to figure out what everything is. Pretty soon you'll be installing whatever mods you get and be glad that you did it yourself.
no problem. it just so happens i work on computers.. suprise suprise like all the millions of techies out there. however im tempted to do the same when ppl bring their computers into my store and i get to charge labor to add ram! muahahah idiots.. whoops,, i mean non-computer literates... yea....

ordering my boost gauge / airfuel gauge/ ?? gauge. What should be my third choice... oil pressure or fuel pressure?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by JaReDbOy

no problem. it just so happens i work on computers.. suprise suprise like all the millions of techies out there. however im tempted to do the same when ppl bring their computers into my store and i get to charge labor to add ram! muahahah idiots.. whoops,, i mean non-computer literates... yea....

ordering my boost gauge / airfuel gauge/ ?? gauge. What should be my third choice... oil pressure or fuel pressure?
All you need is a boost gauge and EGT gauge. In case you don't know what an EGT gauge is it's the exhaust temperature gauge, it will allow you to monitor how lean or rich your car is running, it's essential to tuning and also avoiding detonation. Most often times when you're running way too lean, the temp will skyrocket into the red, and that is when you'll know to back off....very important gauge to have other than a boost gauge.

If the temp is too high, you're running too lean, and you can richen it up, when the temp is too low, you have more room to lean it out. Most A/F gauges are useless, like the autometer ones, just blinking light shows

Also if you would like a third guage, an oil pressure gauge is nice to have.

Last edited by NskGenakuDuckie; Oct 15, 2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you do like me, you can get the Blitz DC gauges and mount them on your windshield, no need for a pillar pod or gauge cups cluttering stuff up.

I got boost and fuel pressure, so I can watch both rise together to make sure there isn't a problem with fuel delivery at higher rpm. When Blitz comes out with their EGT for the DC line, I will get that. The best part is that I can use the pressure gauge and sensor for either fuel or oil. So for now, it is hooked in line for fuel, when EGT is for sale, it will be hooked in to oil.

Then I will be really happy and probably wet myself.

Wanna see? (Pictures of the gauges, not of me wetting myself).

Quick Reply: Evo top end?