Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo's not selling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:51 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, times are hard, but not too hard :-) Seems like small business are doing well but the big turds are having problems. Also learn how to invest then you can work for fun :-)

Originally posted by nsnguyen
Well, another reason to think about is that the people who want the Evo can't afford the evo. This is like the early 90's all over again. Recession, kids with no money, bye bye japanese supercars. The F-bodies died for the same reason, though they appeal to a different demo
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:59 PM

No offense guys but a lot of people aren't willing to pay $30,000+ for a mitsubishi. They don't exactly have a good reputation as being: reliable, having good resale value, having good quality.

Only people that know what makes this car worth the 30g's are going to buy it. A lot of people's mentality is, "if I got 30g's to spend, I would rather get (fill in higher quality car name here)".

I've had countless thoughts whenever I was tempted to get an EVO 8 is "The evo 8 with tax is almost 33-34g's, I could get a 350z or g35 for that price; so screw it".
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie
No offense guys but a lot of people aren't willing to pay $30,000+ for a mitsubishi. They don't exactly have a good reputation as being: reliable, having good resale value, having good quality.

But a lot of people sure paid upwards of $40-$60K to purchase the 3000GT VR-4, most especially the VR-4 Spyder.

True Mitsubishi doesn't have that good of a reputation, but that only applies to the American-made models it seems. None of the Japanese-built Mitsubishis I've noticed have ever had serious problems, unlike the DSM's for that matter

Only people that know what makes this car worth the 30g's are going to buy it. A lot of people's mentality is, "if I got 30g's to spend, I would rather get (fill in higher quality car name here)".
I would have to agree on this. Lack of rallying coverage and widespread ignorance on the Evo and the STi is mainly to blame for the people's mentality on these cars.

I've had countless thoughts whenever I was tempted to get an EVO 8 is "The evo 8 with tax is almost 33-34g's, I could get a 350z or g35 for that price; so screw it".
I have also had the same thoughts, as I was also considering purchasing a G35 SC, but the Evo takes the cake.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:58 PM

The EVO is just 3years too late. Economy is tough, competition is pretty fierce. Theres just way too many cars on the $28-$32k range. Now if the evo was released three years back, ill bet youll be tired of seeing evo's.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by ImportPePe

But a lot of people sure paid upwards of $40-$60K to purchase the 3000GT VR-4, most especially the VR-4 Spyder.

True Mitsubishi doesn't have that good of a reputation, but that only applies to the American-made models it seems. None of the Japanese-built Mitsubishis I've noticed have ever had serious problems, unlike the DSM's for that matter

That is kinda ignorant, my car happens to be a DSM, and the DSM that I have happens to be made in japan
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

hopefully, with these evo's sitting on the lots, with people not wanting a 30k mitsu, then it'll make the evo truly a limited edition, rather than making as many as they can sell

btw, the dealer that orginally promised me MSRP, then when my car came in, they wanted 4k mark-up, now they have a nice display, one of EACH color sitting on the front lawn suckers
Old Oct 14, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Going the cheaper route on the Evo would be a disaster. People with money are insulated from the economy more than the less fortunate. THose with more money want more in a car not less. In hard times, you'll notice luxury items (real luxury, rolex, caviar, aston martin) don't have near any impact or sales decline from a slumping or bottomed out economy. If Mitsu can't offer more in the Evo and the current economy, it's like trying to sell less to a broke man. While the individual with money, and can purchase, walks away becuase he is not catered to. I'm holding out for options and becuase my past three cars have been first year models, and they always have the problems that get worked out the next year. My wife's ride we waited the introduction year out and it was well worth it. Same here. I've learned my lesson of being on the bleeding edge and falling for the marketing hype. But has Mitsu learned their lesson on what customers want?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:01 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NskGenakuDuckie

That is kinda ignorant, my car happens to be a DSM, and the DSM that I have happens to be made in japan
Do you also own a Galant VR4? Because you're '99 GST was definitely not made in Japan. The engine and tranny parts may have come from Japan, but they were assembled along with the rest of the car in the good 'ole USA.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:16 AM
In Timeout

I got a 1st year NSX and had it for 6 years with no problem. Now THAT was a risk. If you are smart about it and buy a good product you will be fine. Also you are right about the money deal and wrong at the same time. Most of the people that buy the Rolex, Aston martin type of stuff don't have the money; they may make 100 - 250k a year but are not worth 10-100 million. I have a friend who is a Doctor and makes about 3-400 a year and is FLAT BROKE, pretty sad really when someone can not go out to eat because he has a 911 Turbo and several other “Rolex” type stuff like a 10,000 sq ft house for him and his wife but has NO investments. I worked at CNN center and Ted drove a 1984 POS blue ford, I also know the owner of Kids R Kids daycare and he is worth 500 mill and could care less about what he drives. At that point being happy and having good health is important. Most that can get anything they want chose to save it and invest it or buy something that can make money. I know in Atlanta there are more $20 millionaires then anywhere, BMW, MB, Boxer type of people. I know this is a general statement but its true most of the time.

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Going the cheaper route on the Evo would be a disaster. People with money are insulated from the economy more than the less fortunate. THose with more money want more in a car not less. In hard times, you'll notice luxury items (real luxury, rolex, caviar, aston martin) don't have near any impact or sales decline from a slumping or bottomed out economy. If Mitsu can't offer more in the Evo and the current economy, it's like trying to sell less to a broke man. While the individual with money, and can purchase, walks away becuase he is not catered to. I'm holding out for options and becuase my past three cars have been first year models, and they always have the problems that get worked out the next year. My wife's ride we waited the introduction year out and it was well worth it. Same here. I've learned my lesson of being on the bleeding edge and falling for the marketing hype. But has Mitsu learned their lesson on what customers want?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with some of these other guys, I think the EVo will end up being like the Supra and RX7.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:26 AM

13 EVO's here in VA Beach... I **** myself when I saw the price they were selling the car for, 35,500 o_0

I tried to get them down to msrp and it was like pulling teeth. I would buy the EVO in the blink of an eye if they sold it to me for 29k but not above that mark.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:54 AM

http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...detail905.html

Hmm evo viii MR
Lancer Evo VIII WRC'04
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

They have had the same 4 sitting on the lot near my house since May-June. How can they (dealers) be such stupid asses for almost 6 months. When I last checked in July, before I bought my EVO out of state, 2 of them had over 150 miles and the lowest one had around 40. I told them I found one out of state for X amount of money and if they would match it I would buy from them. They would not go below $2,500 over MSRP. They lost out and I saved a bunch of money. Stupid *** dealers.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there a dealer with 14 Evos just sitting and there all mark at between 29-30k depending if the have the moonroof or wing . The funny thing is that they had them up there at 40k but now are willing to sell them for what they are . An even like that there not selling , hope they sell it at invoice or near that 28k for it .
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:04 PM

If you don't mind me asking, as a college student who is looking at buying an EVO in the next 1-1.5 years, yay for having a job, do you think any of the following deters the EVO's from selling?

Many have said advertising and I will agree that I have seen absolutely none but I tink this is a car that you either know about it or you don't. What about quality? I have read about some problems, do they still exist? Will this car be around next model year and beyond? (2004-2005+?). Other things that are affecting it are the markup, but I recently visited two different dealers willing to sell me one of five EVO's all with ~15 miles for ~30,000 plus tax. Even the dealers I have talked to have pointed out the fact that the cars are not moving, direct statement from one manager "We Have NOT sold one for over 3 months!" Do you think one of the reasons is that they will not let people test drive the car unless they are absolutely certain to be buying it? I'm talking credit checks, non refundable deposits of upto ~$1000, and the like. Did any of you have to put a deposit down or anything like that? I for one wouldn't mind driving an EVO, I really want to drive one as a matter of fact to see if it is really what I am looking for in a car. I have never had this happen, even when i went and test drove a f-250 superduty that cost ~41,000. I don't know if I will ever be satisified but the EVO has a lot of what I'm looking for, but I can't afford to pay the $$$ just to test drive it.

So would any of you offer an advice for someone wanting to buy an EVO? If you don't mind me asking, what are your monthly payments? The dealer told me I'd be looking at $600+ to get one on Mitsu 0% financing for 60 months. Online calculators are telling me ~520 bucks with 0% and 60 months based on 30k cost. Finally what does it cost to insure an EVO? I am just curious, sorry for the long post. I was wondering if anyone had noticed any of the above things as well?

mike

Quick Reply: evo's not selling?